Non-toxic resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumbley28

What is the medium used for commercial reptile decor? It must be a non-toxic casting resin? Does anyone know the brand? Also I assume they are sealed with something heat resistant? What is this? I want to start building these types of decor, as I am building my Sasha's adult enclosure. I'm an artist and in turn a perfectionist lol so any advice? I want it to look professional.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Commercial stuff is usually resin, my guess would be thermoform plastics though not two part casting resin. Most hobby grade resin is quite different, being the two part stuff and pretty noxious to work with. Not sure what process you have in mind?

A popular one to look into are polystyrene and grout builds, it's pretty easy and used by a variety of reptile keepers. I like the polystyrene sheets, but the expanding foam in a can works good too. It can be sealed with epoxy resin or something like polycryclic. I've seen people also set sand/rocks into epoxy for a sandy looking solid thing too. There are some amazing structures made with it out there. I did one recently for one of my snake enclosures:

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Just about any hard coating will be non-toxic once fully cured. The question is how long it takes to cure. Polycrylic and other water based sealants will cure in a matter of days. Oil based and traditional polyurethanes will take considerably longer (weeks). But once cured, they are equally safe.

Personally I used Mod Podge hobby sealant, the hard coat variety which cures harder then the standard sealant. It stands up to water long enough for fast cleanings. They do make an outdoor variety for more water resistance.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd use a two part epoxy. Sure, noxious to work with and messy, but tougher then just about all other options.

Gumbley28

Original Poster
So the two part epoxy, would you use any kind? Also is Modge podge heat resistant? I've used both before, also I have a kiln and thinking of ceramic or porcelain as well. Just don't know what's the best most non toxic, heat resistant option.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Gumbley28":1t7h53rt said:
So the two part epoxy, would you use any kind? Also is Modge podge heat resistant? I've used both before, also I have a kiln and thinking of ceramic or porcelain as well. Just don't know what's the best most non toxic, heat resistant option.
Your own kiln - I'm jealous! Id probably go that route if I had the resource but I really like the natural look. I don't care for the appearance sealers give - even satin/matte finish looks too fake.

Dart Frog keepers use food grade epoxy. Other builds I've seen done with marine epoxy or pond liner epoxy. I haven't used any epoxies yet but will be using it in my next cage, so I'm still learning what are the best ones or ones to avoid.

I didn't like the modge podge - but also I used standard as the fancy stuff wasn't available. It was not nearly water resistant enough for my tastes.

Gumbley28

Original Poster
http://youtu.be/N2yPHzspR90 this is a really cool video...he makes it look too easy though lol but I love the straightforwardness haha I think this could work just fine for reptiles as well. And the kiln is my artist friends with whom I'll be renting a studio with ASAP :) so not mine but I am feeling pretty lucky ;)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I tried casting once.... I found the theory super simple but the practice... challenging and messy. I also don't have access a pressure vessel or degassing equipment. If you can afford the process and have the patience it certainly would work fine for reptiles, given the right materials. Generally if it's OK for reef aquariums or amphibians it's safe enough for less sensitive animals.

Do you have an online portfolio? Id love to see your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom