no function in rear legs and seems bloated and lethargic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Bill & Lauren,

Did you get a UVB source? He now has a lump growing on his spine? Can you post a picture of that?
It could be metabolic bone disease advancing. You mentioned you have caught him on his back & he is falling some too?
He should be getting enough fluids with the babyfood, but if you feel he should get more you can give him a little extra if you want to that is no problem. Just mix a tiny pea sized amount of jumpstart in with the babyfood daily & that is plenty for him.
Can he fully support his body on all fours?
I hope he is feeling better.

Tracie

billshaw

Original Poster
Tracie,
He has had a UVB light since right after he was sick. He can support himself on all fours if he has too and the last few days i have noticed that he has been using all fours to walk, no more dragging his belly. I will get a picture to you later.
Thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Bill & Lauren,
Thanks! I read through the entire thread yesterday just to doublecheck on the UVB lighting. Maybe it wasn't mentioned, OR I just completely missed it. I was just making sure.
So he is walking better now? That is awesome to hear. Yes, please post a picture for us, or maybe a little short video of him walking or moving around??
I am happy he is doing better now.

Tracie

billshaw

Original Poster
Best i can get

p_00083.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Bill & Lauren,

He is looking better! How is he doing today? That is awesome he is standing up now like he is. Thanks for posting the picture of him.

Tracie

billshaw

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie,
Do you think everything looks ok with his back?
He started to open his mouth (gapping?) again today quite a bit. If he continues should i assume it to be a URI and consult a vet?
Thank you for your help.
Lauren & Bill

Tatty

Juvie Member
Get him to a good reptile vet. Make sure you are following all the recommendations with Calcium and a possible UVB source. Also, if you give him "therapy" by letting him swim in lukewarm water, it will help him regain his leg function. One thing that makes a world of difference is if you can let him sit on a windowsill during a sunny day. Natural sunlight, even passing through glass windows, is unbeatable. Make sure you don't put him in glass tank in sunlight and cook him though. I went through the same scenario with a young female beardie and helped her recover. I also placed her in a loving home with a lovely teenage girl who spoils her rotton.

Good Luck :D
Tatty

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi I have been following your thread and I am sorry to hear your beardie's ill.I think that lump is definately something to be concerned about.Is the lump soft or hard?Can you recall if he fell at all because although it could be MBD due to the fact that it seems to be growing rapidly which means it could be a spinal injury with fluidic build up.I dont know if you answered this but was your vet a herp vet?Do you have one you can get to so they can draw fluid from the lump to see what it is?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Bill & Lauren,

Well, the back is not normal looking no, but I realize that you have a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube on him now, so that is all you can do with the lighting at the moment.
He would benefit from liquid calcium definitely. I do not know though if the lump will go away since with metabolic bone disease, once they get physical deviations, it is usually permanent. If you wanted to get some liquid calcium, you can get some from http://www.beautifuldragons.com
Taking him to the vet to get an x-ray will help us see what is going on with that back.
The UVB from sunlight will not go through the glass at all, so sitting him up there in the windowsil is ok but he wont benefit from any UVB though, just the light.
How is he doing today?
Did he eat today?

Tracie

billshaw

Original Poster
Thank you
the bump is hard. I noticed it last week, but i just figured it was from him loosing so much weight and stuff.
He is using all legs walking on them and holding himself up to walk and all. It is like his strength is completely back. We have the liquid calcium. got it from the vet the first day he got sick. give him it every day.
the gapping has me the most concerned right now b/c before he was sick he never did it. yesterday and today he is doing it a lot but he is sitting under his basking light when he does it so i am not sure.
He ate great yesterday and today just 4 crickets, i have to go get some more today to finish feeding him. He does still take the baby food mixture but will not touch the salad except to lay in it at times.
Thank you
Lauren & Bill

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Bill & Lauren,

That is great to hear that he is supporting himself on all fours now.
Ok that is good he is getting liquid calcium daily. That should really help alot.
At least he is sitting underneath the basking light alot. Are the temps good, maybe you should doublecheck them to make sure he is not getting too hot. Does he gape all of the time or just when he is underneath his light? Does he make any crackling or popping or wheezing noises?
That is good he is eating a little better hopefully his appetite will pick up more. Have you tried using some bee pollen before? It helps with immune system function & appetite stimulation.
The bump is hard? Well, it definitely could be a cyst of some sort, or it could be related to metabolic bone disease.
Please keep us posted on him. I hope he continues to get better.

Tracie

billshaw

Original Poster
Just would like to check to make sure we are not giving him too much calcium. Liquid calcium daily as per vet. Then also Rep -Cal pink label (as recommended) 6 days a week, and Rep-cal blue label once a week. His eating habit are still slowly picking up and he still hates the bath but makes it through. Still giving him baby food mixture and he likes it. Much more energetic too, loves when we take him out to run around a little.
Thanks again
Lauren & Bill

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
That may be a bit much as the liquid calcium is quite strong.How often are you dosing the liquid calcium and how much.I think its probably enough on its own without using the repcal depending on how much you are giving.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Bill & Lauren,

Yes, it is too much in combination with the liquid calcium. While he is on the liquid calcium, he doesn't need any supplemental powder, only vitamins. :D
Too much will constipate him. How is he doing now, he is more energetic now? I am happy that he is improving greatly now.
Definitely continue to update us on his progress.

Tracie

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Give him a few small drops of olive oil through a syringe. do not put the syringe straight down his throat. pull the side of his lip down and put it in there. this will lube up his inteatines and help him poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My 2 year old male dragon has been shedding for 2-3 weeks. I’m worried about it being a stuck shed. I’ve seen on other websites they should not soak and then I’ve seen that they should be soaked. So my question is when should I soak him?
Hello , im still figureing out this platform,
So violet laid eggs, weeks ago, she was doing very well , in the last 3 to 4 days her poop was more than runny . Haven't changed much in her diet , an appetite is very good. Should I be considering a parasites remedy as she does get bloated as soon as she starts to eat.
My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wickedkurse84$
Top Bottom