No confidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinky

ok, so i've had my beardie nearly 3 weeks now and i've tried loads of different ways of feeding..

outside viv in a seperate tank with a load of crix - goes nuts and wants to be out

inside the viv in a seperate tank with a load of crix - goes nuts and wants out

inside the viv with a partition, dropping one or two from the feeding tube - some success although he still jumps at the walls

i've tried chilling the crix to slow them down and even putting them in the freezer for a minute till they're almost lifeless and flicking them in front of him, he just doesn't seem interested in chasing.

Today i put a few in the fridge til they were slow and then just dropped them in his tank. He sat watching them with interest but didn't attempt to hunt them. When one crawled on to his rock he went for it with such force he flipped off his rock. another one crawled on later and he went for it but missed. I think all this inaccuracy is knocking his confidence.

I've had a couple of days when he's eaten around 10 in a sitting. He looks like he really wants to eat. He's alert and lively and my set up is good regarding lighting and temperatures. He poos everyday.

What can i do?

Seven65

Juvie Member
If he's having problems eating around the obsticles in your viv try feeding him in a seperate container where tehy're out in the open. It's easier to catch the ones he doesn't eat that way as well.

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
kinky":03c7b said:
ok, so i've had my beardie nearly 3 weeks now and i've tried loads of different ways of feeding..

outside viv in a seperate tank with a load of crix - goes nuts and wants to be out

inside the viv with a partition, dropping one or two from the feeding tube - some success although he still jumps at the walls

i've tried chilling the crix to slow them down and even putting them in the freezer for a minute till they're almost lifeless and flicking them in front of him, he just doesn't seem interested in chasing.

Today i put a few in the fridge til they were slow and then just dropped them in his tank. He sat watching them with interest but didn't attempt to hunt them. When one crawled on to his rock he went for it with such force he flipped off his rock. another one crawled on later and he went for it but missed. I think all this inaccuracy is knocking his confidence.

I've had a couple of days when he's eaten around 10 in a sitting. He looks like he really wants to eat. He's alert and lively and my set up is good regarding lighting and temperatures. He poos everyday.

What can i do?

I had the same trouble at first with one of my dragons. I found out the best way is to only do it one way. They seem to like and do well with routine. My Georgia Beardie didn't like eating in a plastic tub. So initially I gave him phoenix worms in a dish, but only after I put him in the tub.

I would give ten to fifteen minutes and if he wouldn't eat, in the viv with a bowl of PW's which he always ate. One day after about a week with the same routine and he started eating crickets in the tub.

Dragons don't seem to like change, so stop changing, pick a method and stick with it. He will start conforming to the routine after a while. I would get Phoenix worms and give those if he doesn't eat the crickets. But do the same routine every day.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Lilly doesn't like being fed outside of her viv so I take all of her viv furniture out and then feed her. I herd the crickets over buy her and she grabs them as they go by. She's not one bit spoiled lol. She'll gobble up 20+ in one sitting some days though, so it works for her.
Sara

BeardieBaby69

Hatchling Member
CRICKETS ARE A PAIN !! :banghead: LOL ! Which is exactly why I switched to Phoenix Worms. Not to mention I dont have to dust them with calcium powder (also a pain AND a mess). They are high in Calcium and Protien. My lii Kiku is thriving beautifully on them (plus lots of greens).

Good Luck!

Maize

Hatchling Member
My female wont eat crickets anymore, I had to switch to Dubia Roaches. When I placed those roaches in she went crazy, I would suggest them. I would also suggest Phoenix Worms, they cant have enouph of them! I have a couple good sites if you want.

kinky

Original Poster
keschete":11962 said:
kinky":11962 said:

What can i do?

I had the same trouble at first with one of my dragons. I found out the best way is to only do it one way. They seem to like and do well with routine. My Georgia Beardie didn't like eating in a plastic tub. So initially I gave him phoenix worms in a dish, but only after I put him in the tub.

I would give ten to fifteen minutes and if he wouldn't eat, in the viv with a bowl of PW's which he always ate. One day after about a week with the same routine and he started eating crickets in the tub.

Dragons don't seem to like change, so stop changing, pick a method and stick with it. He will start conforming to the routine after a while. I would get Phoenix worms and give those if he doesn't eat the crickets. But do the same routine every day.

i've have phoenix worms but he'll only take a couple. I do like the suggestion on routine though. Thanks, i'll try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom