No clue and new to Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbryson84

Just bought my son a baby dragon Friday. It has what looks like a wound, that is healing, and won't eat. It just started shedding and acts real curious, pooped twice, and that looks normal. Is he ok?..how do I post pictures?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Include a full body pic and a few pics of the wound, pics of the entire enclosure as well as lights and lights. Name the brand + wattage of the lights or post pics of the boxes they came in. Hopefully we can help you to make sure his set up is right and see if his wound needs treatment.

Kbryson84

Original Poster
112096-8883158741.jpg
112096-838365760.jpg
It's in a 20 gallon terrarium. Have a 100 watt uvb and uva for day and basking. Have 75watt infrared for night and under tank warmer pad thing. Just got it Friday and un beknownst to us it also had this on it when we got home. Up till this morning it hasn't really ate anything. Temperatures have been consistently 100 during day 75 at nite. It's pooped twice and looked normal from what has been googled. It also puffs up its beard and throat and makes a 'puff' sound on exhale...I that normal? I have listened for clicking noise incase it's got an R. I and don't hear anything nor see any discharge from nose or mouth. Its mostly just been basking and sleeping or exploring... but it did eat a meal worm my son gave him this am.

This will sound bad but I don't mean it in a bad way but it has a 14 day return policy with the store. Money is tight, just spent over 300 already getting the beardie and everything for it...so if it's sick beyond easy fix...let me know. Incase it is a wound I did purchase some hibiclense, I read that stuff works well on them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the colored bulb --- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage --- please get rid of the heat mat -- as long as temps in the tank are 65-75 at nite your good dragons like cool and dark it helps metabolize their system -- those temps can be taken w/ a stick on --- the basking temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- the UVB needs to be replace I am sorry to say -- coil UVB's are not good and your dragon will not survive w/ out properly placed UVB and correct UVB and correct basking temps--- you need a long tube fixture for your dragon and the 20 gallon tank is going to need to be replaced by the time hes a year if not sooner - dragons need a 75-120 gallon tank -- please get this for a UVB a 24" fixture Zoo Med this is going to be your best bet for now since you can use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ that fixture -- please order this ASAP -https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/light-fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 when he goes into a bigger tank your going to need this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/t5-lighting/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
Your dragon is going thru relocation stress which is normal please do not feed anymore meal worms they are not real good for babies stomachs - too risky for impaction -- please get some BSFL from here order http://www.sympton.com
small tanks are hard to keep basking temps in so please use the digital probe to get that temp place it on the spot where he sits to bask wait 10 min then get the temp --
When you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you get it set up in the tank --- the different bulbs have different placement and distance and also screen matters as well -- the wound looks like a burn -- I am going to have ABHD address that

Kbryson84

Original Poster
Ok. Thats a lot to take in and all fairly expensive. I won't be able to do anything for 2 weeks. My son is 12 and was supposed to do all the research on owning one and we split the cost. We knew the tank wasn't long term but bought him time to earn money to purchase a bigger one. Hopefully, couple weeks will be ok

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking temp and UVB are crucial to his overall health and behavior --- your son is going to be co pilot on this adventure ---- your going to need to be the main care taker of this dragon --- kids are not knowledgeable enough some of the parents arent either --- dragons are too complex for kids -- they are not a kids pet --- first its a lot for up keep feeding after you get thru the initial cost of getting them w/ correct set up then feeding starts - dragons need live insects and fresh salads every day not to mention the dragons behavior --- black beards - swollen feet or legs parasites -- etc -- the list goes on -- I dont want to scare you but his research probably wasnt thorough enough -- coming to this website for help was the best thing you could of done --- so w/ the UVB a few weeks out hes probably going to quit eating or start eating very little - so in order to prevent that from happening he needs to be taken outside every day in direct sunlight in a plastic tote NO GLASS---- he needs to be supervised so the birds dont get him for one and depending on how hot it is where you are you dont want to burn him up------ 15 minutes in the sun giving him some good UVB --- this will help - you can do this several times per day or once as long as he gets out ----- incorrect UVB for long periods of time he will get sick and start developing MBD --- so I would recommend getting him out w/ you and your son together --- he needs crickets or dubia roaches 2-3 times per day dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per week lightly coated -- fresh salads every morning -- I would get him some BSFL order medium from here www.symptonbsf.com DO NOT DUST THEM -- feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder --- and a good compliment to your main insect feeder -- I can post more websites for insects they are going to be more reliable than your pet stores --- please ask more questions

Kbryson84

Original Poster
I believe you but I don't get it. They are marked as beginner pets. We have crickets and salad stuff for it and have the calcium powered stuff...and he's gonna have to take more responsibility because I have my plate full. So from the coil bulb that says it's uvb and uva ...its not getting anything of what it needs? What did people use before the lighting you suggested? People have owned them for years.

I am not trying to me difficult and I am definitely appreciative but I can only do so much. I am a nurse and work 16+ hours shifts due to stupid pandemic...I don't have the time to take a lizard outside or do much of anything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry but if you are not going to be there for the initial care I recommend you take him back --- pet stores do not care about the dragon they are only in it for the money --- the reptile ends up suffering --- if you want a easy reptile for him I suggest a turtle --- but the dragon is going to be too much for him and a lot of responsibility ---- coils are terrible UVB's and people dont realize this till the dragon is no longer eating and the longer they wait to get help they end up w/ severe MBD or dead -- they should never be marketed as beginner pets -- I am not sure what they were using before the long tube fixtures I just know the coils are NO good -- I have helped many teenagers w/ these dragons and most times they dont have the money to keep them fed let alone get the lighting they need to live and the parents are of NO help at all - they would just as soon let the animal die -- please let me know what you plan to do I will help you as much as I can -- but please dont let the little guy suffer if your not going to be able to be the main caretaker -- :(

Kbryson84

Original Poster
I just don't understand the coil uvb thing...it was part of a starter kit sold by the store that we bought the dragon from...its a 3 in 1...why would a store sell something harmful? I am not looking to hurt and certainly care but I am also trying to make sense of what you're saying, what we are researching from the internet and what the store sold us...and I am at a loss.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please read this one of our mods posted this a little while ago and it will give you some insight on the "kits" pet stores are selling ---- along w/ some bad advice from them as well
viewtopic.php?p=1945606

Kbryson84

Original Poster
112096-2513753982.jpg
this is the light that was sold with it...is This what is considered coil? I just want to make sure I am not assuming things if that makes sense. It's a mercury vapor lamp and I both heard and read good things about those.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Mvb's are ok depending on the brand - they also require another long tube fixture as they do not emit enough uvb- we usually recommend another long tube to make sure the dragon is getting adequate uvb-- this mvb is not a recognizable brand - and if it's Chinese it's no good- you want a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- and the uvb I posted-

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that you're having a little trouble. The dragon looks good except for the wound but there's not enough info about what happened to determine if it will be a problem. It DOES look like it's healing but can you get a closer pic ? Hibiclens is good stuff and raw unpasteurized honey is another thing you could use on it. I've never heard of the MVB brand, are you in the U.S. ? My advice would also be to take the red bulb and heat mat back right away, I raised many dragons and you never need those item, guaranteed. That will save you some money and you can save up for a bigger enclosure in 3-4 months. It's sad but many pet stores really don't know what beardie's need and they did not set your beardie up properly. We'll try to help you here though so hang in there !

Kbryson84

Original Poster
It's OK. We will get there. So if looking at it from behind it looks like a possible bite? There were several other young beardies in tank with it. Krona doesn't flinch or display discomfort when it's touched...it doesn't guard the area abd physically when I touch both sides I feel no difference, it's not hard. What makes us wonder if it was bitten is it doesn't have spines there but little new ones growing...we noticed it as soon as we got home and took him out of the carrier and nothing happened during transition home. Posting pics of closer view of wound...now I did think it was that yellow fungus maybe so I examined whole body even toes...and did not see any other discoloration...site has not spread and behavior, although still adjusting to home, seems typical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom