Nix Needs Your Positive Energy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
So yesterday my family had a horrible accident, and now Nix, my year-old rescue beardie, is in danger of losing his life. I've only had Nix for about 4 months now, but I've been through a lot with him already, trying my best to get his health in the right direction (he suffers from severe MBD from never having a UVB light or calcium/multivitamin supplement at his first home) and get some weight on him. Just two days ago a friend who hadn't seen Nix since I brought him home came over, and immediately commented on how he looks like a totally different beardie, much larger, brighter, healthier looking, and he moves all the time. So I'm very attached to him, and now I'm scared I'm going to lose him. I can't believe this happened, I'm very experienced and I made a horrible mistake...

Nix still has very weak back legs and sometimes has trouble pooping because of the MBD and his weak muscles, so occasionally I have to give him a natural laxative slurry if he doesn't poop on his own. So yesterday he was straining a bit, so I mixed up his slurry and we sat down to eat it, and he knows the drill. He actually likes the stuff I mix up, and yesterday I guess he got a little excited, because instead of me dripping it on his snout he was actually opening his mouth for me to squirt it in, so I did. I was using the same glass eyedropper I've used a million times with both Nix and many baby birds I've bred. Well on the third or fourth eyedropper full Nix surprised the hell out of me and chomped down on the end of the eyedropper. I heard the glass snap and immediately stuck my fingers in his mouth, trying to pry it open, holding him tilted downward for it to fall out, but he must have swallowed the glass tip immediately because it was gone...

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I couldn't believe how strong his jaw was, even in his weakened state he bit down on my fingers and kept me from prying his mouth opened. I looked down at the eyedropper and the very tip of the glass was bitten off, with a jagged, glass edge remaining. I completely freaked out. I first checked his mouth, teeth, tongue, lips, etc. for cuts, but he must have just swallowed the glass tip right down because there was never a spot of blood or any discomfort shown by Nix, I think he was confused as to why I was trying to pry his mouth opened, he had no idea he swallowed anything bad, or that he had even bitten down on the eyedropper, as he wanted more slurry!!! I tried to stay calm, and went and got a PLASTIC oral syringe and fed him another 2ml of slurry, thinking he should have more laxative...I have a very good certified reptile vet that I know pretty well personally, so I put Nix's harness on him and just jumped in the car, I didn't even call my vet first, I just showed up. Luckily he was still there, this happened around 5:00...

He did a complete exam of his mouth, teeth, lips, etc. and then an x-ray, and I brought the remaining eyedropper for my vet to see how jagged a piece of glass Nix had swallowed. The x-ray showed nothing (though his bone density is like that of a different beardie compared to his x-ray from 4 months ago), as a tiny glass tip isn't going to be very visible.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
My options are #1 he has surgery to open up his gastrointestinal tract and remove everything from his stomach and intestines, assuming that the little glass tip is buried inside of fecal matter and not visible, or #2 feed him soft worms, like BSFL and wax worms, along with fluid, and hope that the jagged glass doesn't get stuck in his gastrointestinal tract and kill him, but rather gets encased in poop and passes sometime this weekend. Because of Nix's health issues my certified reptile vet wasn't very optimistic about him going under general anesthesia, he said a lot of bearded dragons that are completely healthy don't come out of surgery alive...But he was confident that he could do it, but it was up to me. He told me that if it were his iguana (12 years old, huge, and like his dog, he lives that iguana like his own child) he would watch him extremely closely, feed him the things recommended, give a daily bath, keep him quiet and still, and wait for it to pass. So that's what we're doing.

I have my vet's cell number, he's open all day today and tomorrow until noon, so if I see any signs of pain, any black bearding, seizures, blood coming from his vent or mouth, etc. I'm to either rush him in or call him if it's after hours and he'll meet me at the local 24 hour animal hospital, where they'll already be set up to do emergency surgery. But chances are if that happens he'll die anyway. So we have to hope that this little jagged piece of glass goes through his gastrointestinal tract points up and gets encased in fecal matter so it makes it's way out without killing him...I don't know if I'm making the right choice or not, it's not at all about the money, I'd go bankrupt to save any of my pets. I just don't think that Nix would survive surgery, so I thought this was his best chance...Now I have to email his prior owners, who are very much still thinking about him. They lived him dearly, just got bad advice from Petco when they bought him, and didn't have the money to help him after they realized how sick he was. I feel so guilty, I don't know how I'm going to tell his old family...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Ellen, so sorry this happened. :( How very stressful for you ! How big was the piece exactly ? Right off the bat I want to say that there have been threads here where a beardie did the same thing and it all worked out wth no harm done. I think Nix will have the same experience, that it will p[ass through. That's my feeling...you have to do what you think is best but I think he'll pass it. Feed him normal meals as you plan on doing that can coat the glass + allow it to pass through.

And don't feel guilty....who of us has an accident that is on purpose ? No one....and no need to tell the family. Nothing has happened yet [ and probably won't ] so spare them the stress +anxiety. Stay strong, it should be alright.

Here's one that turned out O.K
viewtopic.php?p=1016175#p1028627

viewtopic.php?p=1748071#p1748395
And another...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear this happened too. It was an accident and lesson learned, not intentional. I agree that the less risky route is to try and give him soft food and hydration to help pass it through. Surgery is pretty significant for them so I would leave it to a last resort, considering it to be too risky. I would do the same thing you're doing now. Sending positive thoughts and best wishes to both of you!

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Wow that is crazy! I remember when Echo was little I would handfeed her. She nipped my finger a few times and even as a little 6 or 7 inch dragon I could feel the power of those jaws. I knew when she was older they would only get more stronger, If a baby has a lot of bite power it doesn't surprise me that a beardie even one suffering from MBD would also have such a strong bite force. Please don't beat yourself up, it doesn't matter how much experience you have with something mistakes are always a possibility, nothing we can do but learn from them, we are human after all. I think you've done all you can and you're making the best decision for Nix's well being. You can't go wrong with that. Wishing Nix all the best and for a full, speedy recovery?

Savora

Hatchling Member
Keep us updated on Nix, I'm sending so many positive vibes and hoping he makes it. I'm so sorry this happened. Since it's been a few days, he should be passing it soon, hopefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom