Nikolai's baby Darla

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY grandson has had a beardie (Darla) since mid-November. She was purchased as a baby, but grew exponentially in just a short period of time. She was such a sweet baby. Sadly, he found her in her tank expired early this morning. We are unsure what happened. She was acting normally last night. She loves her greens. ate a varied diet including calcium dusting to crickets (not every time), controled temperature tank with cooler section and basking spot, loved being with Nikolai and interacting with people, had regular bowel movements, etc. Nikolai is heartbroken, as am I.

Attachments

• Darla.jpg
    Darla.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 144

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
MY grandson has had a beardie (Darla) since mid-November. She was purchased as a baby, but grew exponentially in just a short period of time. She was such a sweet baby. Sadly, he found her in her tank expired early this morning. We are unsure what happened. She was acting normally last night. She loves her greens. ate a varied diet including calcium dusting to crickets (not every time), controled temperature tank with cooler section and basking spot, loved being with Nikolai and interacting with people, had regular bowel movements, etc. Nikolai is heartbroken, as am I.
I am sorry to hear about Darla-- we get so attached to these animals and its heart breaking when this happens especially when there are no signs of illness --

It is hard to say what happened here w/ her to just pass so suddenly -- can you go over Darlas basking temps and her UVB -- we always start out w/ the lighting being used in the tank --- this is the most important thing in the dragons tank ---

Nikolaisbaby

Original Poster
I am sorry to hear about Darla-- we get so attached to these animals and its heart breaking when this happens especially when there are no signs of illness --

It is hard to say what happened here w/ her to just pass so suddenly -- can you go over Darlas basking temps and her UVB -- we always start out w/ the lighting being used in the tank --- this is the most important thing in the dragons tank ---
Basking temps typically 101-111. Overall tank 84 cool area 70-75. I cannot recall what brand of UVB lamp but it was elongated tube not bulb. We turned most of heat off at night with red lamp and one heat lamp to keep it at least to 70 when she was here. His tank is much larger but essentially the same set-up. Sorry for the delay in response & thank you for yours :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temps typically 101-111. Overall tank 84 cool area 70-75. I cannot recall what brand of UVB lamp but it was elongated tube not bulb. We turned most of heat off at night with red lamp and one heat lamp to keep it at least to 70 when she was here. His tank is much larger but essentially the same set-up. Sorry for the delay in response & thank you for yours :)
If you decide to get another dragon I would recommend a different reptile for your grandson- dragons are too complex and the parent should be taking care of it w/ assist of the child- there are too many things to watch for - please sanitize the tank w/ F10 zoomeds wipe out or rescue-- I recommend F10-- please no colored bulbs for dragons they disrupt their sleep and bad for their eyes- there are things that you really need for the tank-- and again I am sorry :(

Nikolaisbaby

Original Poster
If you decide to get another dragon I would recommend a different reptile for your grandson- dragons are too complex and the parent should be taking care of it w/ assist of the child- there are too many things to watch for - please sanitize the tank w/ F10 zoomeds wipe out or rescue-- I recommend F10-- please no colored bulbs for dragons they disrupt their sleep and bad for their eyes- there are things that you really need for the tank-- and again I am sorry :(
Yes, we sterilized well prior to use, at least monthly & after her passing as well. I stand corrected, we stopped using the red bulb early on as we had learned that. She was loved and cared for by the entire family. Sadly, many are sold by people who misinform you and the "bearded" tank kits even come with the red lamps. I feel strongly that they should only be sold by reputable breeders' or at the very least someone knowledgeable on each animal. Do you know if uromastyx are the same as beardies regarding the red lamp? I thought they might be since they're in the same familial group.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, we sterilized well prior to use, at least monthly & after her passing as well. I stand corrected, we stopped using the red bulb early on as we had learned that. She was loved and cared for by the entire family. Sadly, many are sold by people who misinform you and the "bearded" tank kits even come with the red lamps. I feel strongly that they should only be sold by reputable breeders' or at the very least someone knowledgeable on each animal. Do you know if uromastyx are the same as beardies regarding the red lamp? I thought they might be since they're in the same familial group.
I am not sure please scroll down under forums to the bottom of the page there is a forum list for uromastyx that someone can help you-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom