Nighttime Temperatures in the North

Status
Not open for further replies.

binger

Hatchling Member
Hey Guys,

Last night my tank's ambient temp dropped to 62.5F!!! I freaked out this morning when I woke up.

I bought another fixture, an infra-red 75w, and I'm leaving that on all night.

Any better suggestions? I'm worried about the amount of visible light, affecting their sleeping patterns, etc...

This is our first fall/winter with beardies.... so I'd rather be prepared!
:)

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
some say, with good arguments, that 60 degrees is ok at nighttime... because temps fall that far for BD in the wild.

personally, i use under tank heaters to keep it near 75.

Infra red heaters are good for heat, but bad because the red light hinders the depth of sleep/rest BD's get because of their pineal eye.

the pineal eye detects light wavelengths that are both visible and invisible to the human eye... and does not turn off when the dragon is sleeping.

so while the night light will not be a "deal breaker" -- it can contribute to a less healthy/ideal health dragon.

Ceramic heat emitters are ideal, and can I believe be set to a thermostat as well... but that package is more pricey I think but apaprently great.

hope this helps!!
--
also some think lowering night time temps per season may help the dragon by establishing a sense of seasons.... but,,, i dont know much about this.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with that. I have been using an under tank heater as well as a ceramic heat emitter. Kwayze will move to the cooler end of the terrarium if she thinks it is too hot.

binger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

I had thought about an under-tank heater, but I'd been told by two people to stay away from them...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
I personally wouldn't advise a uth, che's are much better but either one should always be controlled by a thermostat. I use che's on my vivs, but I must say 62.5* is absolutely fine, I set mine to keep the temp at 60* overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom