Night time humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, so i have a 40 gallon glass enclosure for my baby beardie. Ive ran out of options with humidity. During the day its fine, its at 30% on 1 side and about 45% on the other but at night it reaches about 65%. Im frustrated because ive tried everything. Ive tried the reptile fan, eva dry, dehumidifier, i dont have any water in tank, i have ceramic tile flooring and i just cant get it down. I keep a ceramic bulb on at night just to keep humidity at 50ish % but his tank is about 80 degrees with that on. Please help...im out of ideas.

Austin0394

Original Poster
Ok. Thats the thing with the reptile community some people make it seem like its life or death and some say they will be fine lol. It just worries me but ill sit back and try not to worry to much

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Check this out, looks like a few years ago someone asked a similar question about having trouble with nighttime humidity in Louisiana. Looks like anything under 80 % at night is good enough so looks like it's nothing to worry about it. When I read your post, I thought that it sounds like you're doing everything right to control the humidity.

Austin0394

Original Poster
Yea ive read all the post. Ive did SOOOO much research on everything so i feel pretty comfortable. Its this 1 thing that i just cant seem to figure out but im sure its fine. Thanks for the reply though. I appreciate it!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok. Thats the thing with the reptile community some people make it seem like its life or death and some say they will be fine lol. It just worries me but ill sit back and try not to worry to much
Yup, that's how it really is isn't it haha. You will learn with more time and years in the hobby that while most advice is rooted in good intentions, a lot of things are sensationalized too.

To ease your mind also, (Assuming you are worried about humidity due to potential URI issues) when the dragon sleeps (especially if the tank is cooler) heartrate and metabolic rate drop significantly. Respirations per minute decrease drastically too. Logically looking at it, you can see how a higher humidity at night isn't that big of a deal, and in fact, is a bit more natural.

Which brings up an interesting point - you don't need to run the CHE at night if you were only running it in an attempt to lower humidity. IMO, cool night time temps are an important part of a dragons health.

-Brandon

Austin0394

Original Poster
Haha im learning that fast. And yea that makes a ton of sense. Without the heater his tank is 70 degrees so its perfect without it on. I just didnt want the humidity to be an issue but ill just start turning it off. From what ive picked up its just stagnant air in the tank due to the only ventilation is the mesh top. I thought the little fan blowing it around would help but ill just turn everything off and let him sleep lol.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. Proper sleep is a lot more important than a few % points on the RH scale :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom