Lesean77

Beardie name(s)
Aries
Hello!
Just an introduction. I live in South Carolina. This is my very first beardie. Only other reptile I have had was an extremely sick gecko after someone who couldn’t care for it relinquished ownership to me, but unfortunately after I took her to a reptile vet and a couple days of intensive care she passed away.

This guy was given to me by a client at the Vet clinic I have worked at for 25+ years as a vet tech. The owner was moving and couldn’t take him with her. So I volunteered to give him a home. I’m slowly trying to learn more and change his environment to suit his needs better. The previous owner did the best she could but a lot was not right. His diet was pellets and dried crickets dusted with calcium. I’ve introduced mixed salads and mustard greens so far along with super worms and dubi roaches. He is eating all of it well but only with hand feeding. He won’t come off his basking spot which I think is because the temp is not appropriate yet. Im struggling to get it hot enough. I have two separate bulbs over him 100w and 75w both Reptisun basking bulbs. They sit directly on the screen top and is about 8”ish from him. I’ve been keeping part of the tank covered with a towel to try to keep as much heat in as I can. I also have a UVB light ordered and coming. Having said that he will occasionally sit with his mouth slightly cracked which I’ve read means they have reached a good temp and it’s their way of maintaining it. 🤷‍♀️
I want to upgrade his vivarium at some point. He is in a 40gal, I would like to see him in 48x24x24 soon.
So far Aries is able to be handled but you can tell he’s very unsure. I am going slow and not picking him up much. I simply hang out with him stroke his back and hand feed. Anytime I open his door I have something to give him. Blueberries are his absolute favorite after the worms and dubis. Im open to any and all suggestions but be patient and kind this is only the beginning of a long journey for me learning how to care for him properly. Thank you!

Attachments

• EFE09319-0A6D-4785-896F-BA2ADD96B528.jpeg
    EFE09319-0A6D-4785-896F-BA2ADD96B528.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 481DA415-C717-425B-903B-6BF79F2277A3.jpeg
    481DA415-C717-425B-903B-6BF79F2277A3.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 61

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!
Just an introduction. I live in South Carolina. This is my very first beardie. Only other reptile I have had was an extremely sick gecko after someone who couldn’t care for it relinquished ownership to me, but unfortunately after I took her to a reptile vet and a couple days of intensive care she passed away.

This guy was given to me by a client at the Vet clinic I have worked at for 25+ years as a vet tech. The owner was moving and couldn’t take him with her. So I volunteered to give him a home. I’m slowly trying to learn more and change his environment to suit his needs better. The previous owner did the best she could but a lot was not right. His diet was pellets and dried crickets dusted with calcium. I’ve introduced mixed salads and mustard greens so far along with super worms and dubi roaches. He is eating all of it well but only with hand feeding. He won’t come off his basking spot which I think is because the temp is not appropriate yet. Im struggling to get it hot enough. I have two separate bulbs over him 100w and 75w both Reptisun basking bulbs. They sit directly on the screen top and is about 8”ish from him. I’ve been keeping part of the tank covered with a towel to try to keep as much heat in as I can. I also have a UVB light ordered and coming. Having said that he will occasionally sit with his mouth slightly cracked which I’ve read means they have reached a good temp and it’s their way of maintaining it. 🤷‍♀️
I want to upgrade his vivarium at some point. He is in a 40gal, I would like to see him in 48x24x24 soon.
So far Aries is able to be handled but you can tell he’s very unsure. I am going slow and not picking him up much. I simply hang out with him stroke his back and hand feed. Anytime I open his door I have something to give him. Blueberries are his absolute favorite after the worms and dubis. Im open to any and all suggestions but be patient and kind this is only the beginning of a long journey for me learning how to care for him properly. Thank you!
Welcome to the forum --- please ask questions it doesnt matter what they are we are here to help

The UVB you ordered is what brand and bulb? Is it a coil that you ordered or a long tube fixture? Please take the digital probe thermometer you have and place on the spot he sits to bask -- you will get an accurate surface basking temp and that is what you want 95-100--if he is gaping he is adjusting his body temp which is good --- the UVB has certain distance and placement and will be determined by your screen as far as where it needs to be for him - I see you have a stick on for temps - they are good for ambient temps only --- you want your cool side 80's - middle of the tank 90's - Please no more pellets and dried crickets -- feeding him the salads and the dubias and the super worms is good --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated Nutrition Content
please feed the blueberries sparingly too much sugar --
you need a digital probe hygrometer - place the probe on the back center wall optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% - this will help him w/ the shedding ---
when you want to upgrade your tank we can help w/ that and post some websites for 120 gallon tanks --

Lesean77

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aries
Welcome to the forum --- please ask questions it doesnt matter what they are we are here to help

The UVB you ordered is what brand and bulb? Is it a coil that you ordered or a long tube fixture? Please take the digital probe thermometer you have and place on the spot he sits to bask -- you will get an accurate surface basking temp and that is what you want 95-100--if he is gaping he is adjusting his body temp which is good --- the UVB has certain distance and placement and will be determined by your screen as far as where it needs to be for him - I see you have a stick on for temps - they are good for ambient temps only --- you want your cool side 80's - middle of the tank 90's - Please no more pellets and dried crickets -- feeding him the salads and the dubias and the super worms is good --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated Nutrition Content
please feed the blueberries sparingly too much sugar --
you need a digital probe hygrometer - place the probe on the back center wall optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% - this will help him w/ the shedding ---
when you want to upgrade your tank we can help w/ that and post some websites for 120 gallon tanks --
I have a Reptisun UVB tube bulb I purchased from dubiguy.com. I’m waiting for the fixture now. I do have a IR temp gun I can use. Would inappropriate temp be why he won’t move off his basking spot? He eats well from my hand on the spot. But if I move him down to where the food is he just sits frozen like he is scared then will get back on his rock with touching the food. I think I’ve only seen him come off once maybe twice the whole time he has been with me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a Reptisun UVB tube bulb I purchased from dubiguy.com. I’m waiting for the fixture now. I do have a IR temp gun I can use. Would inappropriate temp be why he won’t move off his basking spot? He eats well from my hand on the spot. But if I move him down to where the food is he just sits frozen like he is scared then will get back on his rock with touching the food. I think I’ve only seen him come off once maybe twice the whole time he has been with me.
Reptisun UVB tube bulb T 5 or a T 8? Its possible the temps are off -- use the digital probe thermometer please -- they are the most accurate and IR guns can be off depending on the material the basking decor is made of-- 95-100 for surface basking temps- please post back on here when you get the UVB so I can help you get it placed for your tank

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
It's possible that he's going through relocation stress as well, and becomes too timid to eat when he's not on the rock. I'm sure you'll see improvement with the right temperature and uvb soon 😊

Lesean77

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aries
Reptisun UVB tube bulb T 5 or a T 8? Its possible the temps are off -- use the digital probe thermometer please -- they are the most accurate and IR guns can be off depending on the material the basking decor is made of-- 95-100 for surface basking temps- please post back on here when you get the UVB so I can help you get it placed for your tank
I received the UVB lighting today. it’s a Zilla Slimeline fixture with bulbs but I have the aforementioned Reptisun bulb to put in it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I received the UVB lighting today. it’s a Zilla Slimeline fixture with bulbs but I have the aforementioned Reptisun bulb to put in it.
Ok good take the clear plastic cover off and leave it off- the fixture needs to be unobstructed no screen or inside the tank 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor if you need things to hang I can post some

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom