LianneHenry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
The uvb don't get all that hot, if you want to put it inside just get a couple heavy zipties, poke a hole on either side of the light(setting on top of the screen for reference) then movevit inside and secure it with the zipties. I have 2 of mine that way, it works fine.
I used excavator clay, i gets gard and cracks and is miserable to keep sanitized. I took it out and went back to tile.
Thank you for your reply, I can use all information. Still super unsure because this is my first reptile.

LianneHenry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
The uvb don't get all that hot, if you want to put it inside just get a couple heavy zipties, poke a hole on either side of the light(setting on top of the screen for reference) then movevit inside and secure it with the zipties. I have 2 of mine that way, it works fine.
I used excavator clay, i gets gard and cracks and is miserable to keep sanitized. I took it out and went back to tile.
Can you share a picture of youre inclosure? I’m super interested how other people arranged it 😃

Dart's Human

Beardie name(s)
Dartanion, (Dart)
Yes do the 24 inch long tube, no coiks/compact uvb bulbs, they are horrible. You can put the 10.0 t5 on top of the screen, just make sure henry can get close enough to it. As for basking, please use a clear bulb, colored bulbs hurt there eyes. I would start with a 100 watt and check the temps, that will give you a base line to work with. I have had issues with the ZooMed fixtures, i switched all mine to Arcadia.
Welcome to the forum and congratzz on your beardie, they are wonderful pets.
Feel free to ask about anything at all, there is someone here that can answer about any questions you might have. :)
I have an 18" tube and a UVB 10 coil lamp. Why are they a poor choice?

Dart's Human

Beardie name(s)
Dartanion, (Dart)
Fine mesh screens block 30% of the UVB rays - please unobstruct it-- it needs to be no screen or inside the tank w/ a distance directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --- Arcadia 12% bulbs are the same distance if your going that route - the fixture would be a 24 watt Arcadia Pro T 5--- if your ditching the Solar Glo please get a solid bright white basking bulb like the Exo Terra Intense ---- Flukers---- Zoo Med Repti basking bulb or a Arcadia Halogen -- you want a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps-- No plastic over the UVB bulb it will melt-----------
Brand New beardie owner, Hmm. My hot basking spot is just 6 inches below the top screen. I can't really go open unless I make significant changes to my tank.

I don't mind if I lose 30%, will just try to adjust distance so my beardie gets the right amount.

Currently using my UVB 10 lamp for the hot bask UVB. Just need to know how far to hang it above the screen. Suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have an 18" tube and a UVB 10 coil lamp. Why are they a poor choice?
Bearded Dragons require full spectrum lighting for 12-14 hours a day. Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% tubes are known to provide some of the best full UVB for your dragons. The coils or compacts of the same brand aren't recommended, as they have shown to cause eye problems and reduction of appetite. The Reptiglo brand is also not recommended, tube, coil or compact, as it has been associated with causing eye problems, lethargy and not eating. These fluorescent bulbs should be 2/3rds or 1/2 of the tank and should be able to come within 12-15 inches of the light. The UVB should be mounted inside the tank to allow your dragon 100% of the UVB. On top of the tank can filter out up to 30% of the UVB rays your dragon needs depending on the screen. Mercury vapour bulbs are also a good heat & UVB source, but to allow your dragon full use of the UVB it is best to not use the mesh tank tops. Mounting them on a lampstand with a dome without using a top will allow full use of the UVB. Having the correct type of UVB light is also important to help their bones develop strong and healthy. Be sure to mount T8 bulbs inside your beardie's terrarium. Screen-topped reptile tanks block out 30 % or more of UVB rays emitted by the bulb. Since the output produced by T8 bulbs is not nearly as strong as T5 bulbs, your beardie may receive insufficient UVB exposure. They can be used but correct distance and placement for the T 8 is crucial - if your using a wide hole type of screen the T 5 can go on top but T 8's must go inside - the distance for a T 5 on top of the screen is 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Brand New beardie owner, Hmm. My hot basking spot is just 6 inches below the top screen. I can't really go open unless I make significant changes to my tank.

I don't mind if I lose 30%, will just try to adjust distance so my beardie gets the right amount.

Currently using my UVB 10 lamp for the hot bask UVB. Just need to know how far to hang it above the screen. Suggestions?

Are you still using the Solar Glo 125? And is it hanging above the tank w/ no screen? You want surface basking temps above all - the UVB will diminish w/ height for the rays -- that is why we want another good UVB for the dragon - surface basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for a 6 month old / adult dragon -- using a digital probe thermometer

LianneHenry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
Are you still using the Solar Glo 125? And is it hanging above the tank w/ no screen? You want surface basking temps above all - the UVB will diminish w/ height for the rays -- that is why we want another good UVB for the dragon - surface basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for a 6 month old / adult dragon -- using a digital probe thermometer
I would recommend everyone to DITCH the Solar Glow. I’n sure some MVB’s are great. But the Solar Glow from Exo Terra is really bad. At the right distance for heat its too close and releases too much UVB. The heat/UVB ratio is off. Also my bearded dragon closed his eyes while basking all the time with this lamp. He clearly was irritated by the brightness. I switched to a normal basking spot light by Zoo Med and a T5 10.0 Reptisun. Now his appetite is great and he has his eyes open all day! 😃

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom