Newbie Finally Some Success?

abby2121

Beardie name(s)
Dart
Some of you may have seen my posts about my baby Beardie not eating and not enjoying his crickets etc. Some of you suggested the dubai roaches but I was SUPER hesitant to bring them into the house (based on the number of crickets I find running around) - I was sure they'd get out and we'd be infested. But I finally did it and he LOVES them. So this is what you all meant when you said 'how many does he eat when you feed him'. If I gave Dart crickets he'd maybe eat one tops while I watched and mostly he left them in his enclosure running around. Now I think he just doesn't enjoy crickets. Or, he is too lazy to chase them. Either way, I guess it's time to switch him to the roaches entirely because he's not fond of mealworms either. Question is - is it a decent diet if he eats greens, veggies, occasional fruit and only roaches? Meaning no crickets or mealworms? The superworms are too big for him - he's only maybe 4-5 inches body length (not including tail) and he's pretty young. Also...how many roaches is the right amount to feed him per day?

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Some of you may have seen my posts about my baby Beardie not eating and not enjoying his crickets etc. Some of you suggested the dubai roaches but I was SUPER hesitant to bring them into the house (based on the number of crickets I find running around) - I was sure they'd get out and we'd be infested. But I finally did it and he LOVES them. So this is what you all meant when you said 'how many does he eat when you feed him'. If I gave Dart crickets he'd maybe eat one tops while I watched and mostly he left them in his enclosure running around. Now I think he just doesn't enjoy crickets. Or, he is too lazy to chase them. Either way, I guess it's time to switch him to the roaches entirely because he's not fond of mealworms either. Question is - is it a decent diet if he eats greens, veggies, occasional fruit and only roaches? Meaning no crickets or mealworms? The superworms are too big for him - he's only maybe 4-5 inches body length (not including tail) and he's pretty young. Also...how many roaches is the right amount to feed him per day?

Thanks!
You can get him some small horn worms and small super worms from here www.dubiaroaches.com feed th super worms every other day 1-3 on his salads - feed the hornworms till gone - 1-2 per day they grow fast - order small amounts of them so they dont out grow him --- salads and dubias are fine for a diet - meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs anyway --- also get him some nutri grubs they are a great staple feeder good compliment to the roaches feed as many as you want do not dust them --- feed as many of the roaches he will eat in a 10 15 min time frame but you want him eating salads - get a 10 gallon aquarium for the roaches feed dubia food and dubia dew along w/ what you feed the dragon -- if your feeding carrots do not feed both - one or the other - too much Vit A -- you will need a bowl like this for your BSFL / nutri grubs https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
You can get him some small horn worms and small super worms from here www.dubiaroaches.com feed th super worms every other day 1-3 on his salads - feed the hornworms till gone - 1-2 per day they grow fast - order small amounts of them so they dont out grow him --- salads and dubias are fine for a diet - meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs anyway --- also get him some nutri grubs they are a great staple feeder good compliment to the roaches feed as many as you want do not dust them --- feed as many of the roaches he will eat in a 10 15 min time frame but you want him eating salads - get a 10 gallon aquarium for the roaches feed dubia food and dubia dew along w/ what you feed the dragon -- if your feeding carrots do not feed both - one or the other - too much Vit A -- you will need a bowl like this for your BSFL / nutri grubs https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
I did get a dish just like that today. The roaches stay in there, crickets obviously not so much. Should I just stop the crickets altogether? I didn't know they made smaller superworms but I'll check it out. I feed him 5 roaches at a time 2x per day but I think I need to up that.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Babies should be fed 2 to 3 times per day as much as they will eat in 10 to 15 minutes. Dust with calcium once per day 7 day a week, dust with multivitamin one feeding per day 3 to 4 times a week. Babies are growing the fastest they ever will they need fuel to grow.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I did get a dish just like that today. The roaches stay in there, crickets obviously not so much. Should I just stop the crickets altogether? I didn't know they made smaller superworms but I'll check it out. I feed him 5 roaches at a time 2x per day but I think I need to up that.
Feed him his salads w/ the bsfl on top also known as nutri grubs on the dubia roaches website they are a great staple feeder- feed as many as you want and yes he should be eating up to 15 roaches at a feeding

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Feed him his salads w/ the bsfl on top also known as nutri grubs on the dubia roaches website they are a great staple feeder- feed as many as you want and yes he should be eating up to 15 roaches at a feeding
Ok, finally a number! He's scarfing down 5 at a time a few times a day so I will give him 15 or as many as he can eat in 15 minutes. I just don't understand why he hates the crickets. But as long as they don't get out...the roaches are easier and escape the food bowl less. He hasn't been growing as much as I think he should so hopefully I can now help him do that.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Beardies are notoriously picky eaters (some) others will scarf down anything lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, finally a number! He's scarfing down 5 at a time a few times a day so I will give him 15 or as many as he can eat in 15 minutes. I just don't understand why he hates the crickets. But as long as they don't get out...the roaches are easier and escape the food bowl less. He hasn't been growing as much as I think he should so hopefully I can now help him do that.
Correct UVB and surface basking temps plus a good diet are going to get him to grow and thrive --- some dragons dont like crickets -- mine did not neither one so I was lucky I only needed the one main staple - Hiccup never cared for the BSFL Blaze out grew them - they both will eat silk worms and horn worms are the favorite - super worms Blaze really likes Hiccup will eat them but hes not crazy about them--what is going on w/ your lighting?

Beardie name(s)
Bartholomew
Do not feed him mealworms or super worms they can cause impaction because of their thick skin wait until he's 18 months old to feed mealworms or super worms. And I feed my bearded dragon dubia roaches one day and the salad the day after that contains Romain lettuce and shredded carrots and bell peppers and occasionally blueberries and raspberries.

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Correct UVB and surface basking temps plus a good diet are going to get him to grow and thrive --- some dragons dont like crickets -- mine did not neither one so I was lucky I only needed the one main staple - Hiccup never cared for the BSFL Blaze out grew them - they both will eat silk worms and horn worms are the favorite - super worms Blaze really likes Hiccup will eat them but hes not crazy about them--what is going on w/ your lighting?
I think lighting is finally in a good place. Linear UVB bulb and two basking bulbs...one is 100W the other is 150W. Again today fed roaches and he ate at least 12 of them. Plus salad with baby kale and squash and carrots. He only eats salad when I'm not watching but he housed the roaches as soon as they hit his food tray. my only fear is that some will escape and I'll wind up with a roach infestation.

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Do not feed him mealworms or super worms they can cause impaction because of their thick skin wait until he's 18 months old to feed mealworms or super worms. And I feed my bearded dragon dubia roaches one day and the salad the day after that contains Romain lettuce and shredded carrots and bell peppers and occasionally blueberries and raspberries.
I think mine is too young for every other day? He's under 5 months so I've been doing salad once a day, roaches 2x a day and a dry food in there just in case.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I think mine is too young for every other day? He's under 5 months so I've been doing salad once a day, roaches 2x a day and a dry food in there just in case.
salads should be given daily at any age even if they decide not to eat them. at 5 months, bugs are still every day, several times a day too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think lighting is finally in a good place. Linear UVB bulb and two basking bulbs...one is 100W the other is 150W. Again today fed roaches and he ate at least 12 of them. Plus salad with baby kale and squash and carrots. He only eats salad when I'm not watching but he housed the roaches as soon as they hit his food tray. my only fear is that some will escape and I'll wind up with a roach infestation.
You won't roaches die off out of the tank- did we go over the placement and distance of your uvb?

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
A step forward, a huge leap back. So Dart has been loving his Dubia roaches and scarfing the4m down. However, last night he clearly had a prolapse of something out of his rear end. I took him to the vet and %275 bucks later...he put it back in by himself but he has larvae in his stool. He's now on two meds and back home. The vet said I should not do ONLY roaches. She wants him eating crickets etc but I keep trying and he hates them. Even the baby crickets he's jiust not interested in. Are roaches and salad enough or do i have to try to force the roaches?? This is so much harder than I expected.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A step forward, a huge leap back. So Dart has been loving his Dubia roaches and scarfing the4m down. However, last night he clearly had a prolapse of something out of his rear end. I took him to the vet and %275 bucks later...he put it back in by himself but he has larvae in his stool. He's now on two meds and back home. The vet said I should not do ONLY roaches. She wants him eating crickets etc but I keep trying and he hates them. Even the baby crickets he's jiust not interested in. Are roaches and salad enough or do i have to try to force the roaches?? This is so much harder than I expected.
Make sure feeding size appropriate --- no insect bigger than the space between his eyes --- get him some BSFL or nutri grubs make sure your surface basking temps are on par --- what meds is he on? Dont feed the crickets if he does not like them --

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom