Newbie Finally Some Success?

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Make sure feeding size appropriate --- no insect bigger than the space between his eyes --- get him some BSFL or nutri grubs make sure your surface basking temps are on par --- what meds is he on? Dont feed the crickets if he does not like them --
What are BSFL? the only grubs I've seen are mealworms and super worms. Basking temps are very good for sure (between 102-108). He was put on Ponazuril (spelling?) and Panacur suspension. My dude just loves his roaches - no idea why. He eats some greens but not as much as I'd like to see. I'm doing baby kale, collard greens, small bits of squash, carrot and occasionally fruit like strawberry or raspberry. Those things dry out in his tank so quickly though

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are BSFL? the only grubs I've seen are mealworms and super worms. Basking temps are very good for sure (between 102-108). He was put on Ponazuril (spelling?) and Panacur suspension. My dude just loves his roaches - no idea why. He eats some greens but not as much as I'd like to see. I'm doing baby kale, collard greens, small bits of squash, carrot and occasionally fruit like strawberry or raspberry. Those things dry out in his tank so quickly though
Feed on cool side of the tank - rinse the greens before serving -- BSFL are black soldier fly larvae --
www.symtonbsf.com - how big is he - the larvae are small so if hes 4 months old or older order large use them as salad lures -- drop them on top of his salads first feeding

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Feed on cool side of the tank - rinse the greens before serving -- BSFL are black soldier fly larvae --
www.symtonbsf.com - how big is he - the larvae are small so if hes 4 months old or older order large use them as salad lures -- drop them on top of his salads first feeding
Ok urgent question. He's been on the meds one day. His stomach was smooth and white yesterday but todeay suddenly has ringed black spots all over it. It' is completely different from before. Is this a medicaion issue???

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is stress marks, they appear when they are cold or stressed, probably the vet visit stressed him out.

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
That is stress marks, they appear when they are cold or stressed, probably the vet visit stressed him out.
Is it safe for his lights to go out tonight? It's still over 70 in there but if hes' cold i could turn them back on for a bit

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Ok so I bought BSFL and they are a no go, smaller crickets, no go. Eats very little salad...but when I get out the roach container he literally sprints over to his food dish and inhales them. I've tried everything and I have no idea how to get him to eat anything other than Dubia roaches. Is that a safe diet if he's getting SOME greens with it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so I bought BSFL and they are a no go, smaller crickets, no go. Eats very little salad...but when I get out the roach container he literally sprints over to his food dish and inhales them. I've tried everything and I have no idea how to get him to eat anything other than Dubia roaches. Is that a safe diet if he's getting SOME greens with it?
Yes the little stinker :LOL:--- and its good hes getting some greens -- the dubias are the main diet as he needs the protein but I wanted him to eat those BSFL -- try some super worms see how he likes those -- only use 1-3 on the salads every other day -- he may change his mind on the BSFL so keep offering them along w / the roaches on the salads --

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Thanks for all your help. He still may be out of sorts because of the medications. He used to eat the crickets but it's like since he saw the roaches he will eat nothing but. Kind of like my cat with temptations cat treats.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Beardies can be insanely finicky. At some point he will probably decide he don't want dubias and will only eat xyz lol.
I swear they do things just to make us go crazy 😆

Dart's Human

Beardie name(s)
Dartanion, (Dart)
I did get a dish just like that today. The roaches stay in there, crickets obviously not so much. Should I just stop the crickets altogether? I didn't know they made smaller superworms but I'll check it out. I feed him 5 roaches at a time 2x per day but I think I need to up that.
I heard crickets are more likely to have parasites. Just what I saw on a YouTube husbandry blog episode.

Dart's Human

Beardie name(s)
Dartanion, (Dart)
1000001454.jpg

This is obviously zoomed it quite a bit. Can he even EAT small dubias?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yes, baby dubias are very small, and wouldn't be an issue.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom