Newb: Custom enclosure advice

Zenmarie3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Theo
What are must haves on a custom built enclosure? Ours will be relatively big, for our adult male. Dimensions we are working with are up to 6' H x 3.5' W x 4' L we for sure wanna keep the W and L the same but may make the H a bit shorter.

Anywho, looking for anything y'all would think is a must have or some do an do nots for an enclosure. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Hope y'all have a great rest of your week!

Zenmarie3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Theo
Thank you for responding. I actually said this, but my other half says we do not have the room for that. (we could make the space but we would have to do some major rearranging.) However, he also knows that I obsess over our critters having the best of the best. I will mention it to him again, even though hes already built the bottom portion.

So back to this height. Is there a reason why height is not beneficial for them? Besides the lighting and heating?

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
It’s not that height isn’t good for them, they’re semi-arboreal after all. It’s just that if you have the space, a wider longer cage is wonderful for them to run around and explore. Versus that tall of a cage, you’ll most likely have to build some sort of second floor in it, so the beardie can bask properly.

If rearranging doesn’t work for you then I think the 3.5’ x 4’ is great already. Cut the height down and good to go!

Zenmarie3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Theo
It’s not that height isn’t good for them, they’re semi-arboreal after all. It’s just that if you have the space, a wider longer cage is wonderful for them to run around and explore. Versus that tall of a cage, you’ll most likely have to build some sort of second floor in it, so the beardie can bask properly.

If rearranging doesn’t work for you then I think the 3.5’ x 4’ is great already. Cut the height down and good to go!
That makes me feel a little better. I got the stank eye when I tried to tell hubs we need more length again 🤣.

Yep, he is actually going to do a couple levels, so we can make him a basking spot closer at the top, since he needs to be pretty close to those lights. So he should be good to go! If we have to buy more lighting and heat, then that will be ok too. He is thriving in his temporary housing so I know he will be living like a king in his big set up. Thank you again for taking the time to explain, and hope you have a rockin rest of your week!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom