New to the Community and General Questions about my new Beardy.

glizzysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glizzy
Hi Everyone! New here but before joining let me just say this website has been a wonderful resource. My name is Jazzmine and about 3 weeks ago i adopted what i believe to be a Juvenile Bearded Dragon from my local reptile pet store. He had been surrendered by his previous owner and winded up at the pet store with a bunch of other surrendered bearded dragons. I had done research before adopting but of course assumed the pet store guy new what he was talking about (he didnt of course) we winded up with a 40gal tank, a Powersun Bulb to provide heat and uvb and loose substrate. We couldn't get our tank temps up high enough with the reptisun so after even more research we ditched the entire set up and purchased a stand alone heating bulb (zilla bright white 150w) and a Reptisun T8 UVB bulb to provide the needed uvb. We also purchased a CHE to help get the heat up on gloomy days. We switched out his substrate for non-adhesive shelf liner. We live in Southern California so it's usually not a problem but lately its been really cold and rainy. Since Changing the original lighting set up we have consistent temps of 95 degrees on the warm side, 84 degrees on the cool side 100-101 degrees on the basking spot. He has two hammocks, A hiding spot and a log that he likes to crawl on. We feed him collard greens on a regular basis (he really likes it sometimes he'll just pick the collards out and leave the rest) i'll add things like bee pollen, carrots a little arugula or bell peppers, I don't do it very often but sometimes if he seems bored i spice it up with a few colorful & safe veggies for him on top. The problem is when we first got him he had a pretty big appetite (it seemed) would eat about half a salad and then about 5-10 gut loaded dubia roaches. Recently since the gloomy weather started he hasn't had much of an appetite, we were feeding him 1-2x a day because we assumed he was a juvenile but maybe he isn't and we over fed him? we've tried feeding him out of his cage in a sterilite bin to minimize distractions but it doesnt really help. He is on a schedule of 7am to 7pm for lights everday and his setup is on a timer. I use a temp gun to monitor the heat gradient and we give him baths 2-4 times a week so he can hydrate (its the only way he will drink water, we add reptisafe to it) I suppose my main questions are:

1. Can anyone tell me how old they think he might be? right now he's measuring 16.5 inches.
2. What might be the cause for his lack of appetite? he still eats but now he only takes a few bites of salad and then maybe eats 3 or 4 dubia roaches. His poops are very consistent and well formed and he drinks lots of water whenever we give him a bath. we do dust his roaches in calcium and a multi vit about 3 times a week.
3. How can we help him be more active/interested in food and/or running around. We have a harness for him and want to start taking him outside so he can get some real sun but he just seems so lazy.
4. He shed about a couple days after we got him, his feet and his back and belly all shed. To me his tail and head look whiter than the rest of his body, maybe he is gearing up to shed again and its just taking a while? attaching pics. You can see the linear uvb fixture in the set up but its there i promise. the two domes are a basking bulb and small che to help get temps up on cold days.

This is my first beardie so any help would be amazing. We do eventually want to get him in something bigger than a 40gal. we are currently saving up.

Attachments

• IMG_7121.jpg
    IMG_7121.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7122.jpg
    IMG_7122.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7126.jpg
    IMG_7126.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7129.jpg
    IMG_7129.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 68

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He is a very pretty dragon 🐉.
Something most people over looks is the fact the petstores don't feed them correctly/enough so they are ravenous when you first bring them home. I've seen it in every beardie i got that wasn't a baby. After they have had a few days to acclimate and get thier bellies full they tend to slow up a bit. As long as your lighting is on point and they do eat and poo it's not really a big deal.
As for the calcium he needs that 1 time per day everyday. The multivitamins 3 to 4 times per week.
You have come to the right place for info or just exchanging stories and photos, everyone here loves beardies and the folk that takes the time to learn to be good keepers. Ask any questions you may have and share any storirs or pics you want. It's a great crowd here. 🙂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Everyone! New here but before joining let me just say this website has been a wonderful resource. My name is Jazzmine and about 3 weeks ago i adopted what i believe to be a Juvenile Bearded Dragon from my local reptile pet store. He had been surrendered by his previous owner and winded up at the pet store with a bunch of other surrendered bearded dragons. I had done research before adopting but of course assumed the pet store guy new what he was talking about (he didnt of course) we winded up with a 40gal tank, a Powersun Bulb to provide heat and uvb and loose substrate. We couldn't get our tank temps up high enough with the reptisun so after even more research we ditched the entire set up and purchased a stand alone heating bulb (zilla bright white 150w) and a Reptisun T8 UVB bulb to provide the needed uvb. We also purchased a CHE to help get the heat up on gloomy days. We switched out his substrate for non-adhesive shelf liner. We live in Southern California so it's usually not a problem but lately its been really cold and rainy. Since Changing the original lighting set up we have consistent temps of 95 degrees on the warm side, 84 degrees on the cool side 100-101 degrees on the basking spot. He has two hammocks, A hiding spot and a log that he likes to crawl on. We feed him collard greens on a regular basis (he really likes it sometimes he'll just pick the collards out and leave the rest) i'll add things like bee pollen, carrots a little arugula or bell peppers, I don't do it very often but sometimes if he seems bored i spice it up with a few colorful & safe veggies for him on top. The problem is when we first got him he had a pretty big appetite (it seemed) would eat about half a salad and then about 5-10 gut loaded dubia roaches. Recently since the gloomy weather started he hasn't had much of an appetite, we were feeding him 1-2x a day because we assumed he was a juvenile but maybe he isn't and we over fed him? we've tried feeding him out of his cage in a sterilite bin to minimize distractions but it doesnt really help. He is on a schedule of 7am to 7pm for lights everday and his setup is on a timer. I use a temp gun to monitor the heat gradient and we give him baths 2-4 times a week so he can hydrate (its the only way he will drink water, we add reptisafe to it) I suppose my main questions are:

1. Can anyone tell me how old they think he might be? right now he's measuring 16.5 inches.
2. What might be the cause for his lack of appetite? he still eats but now he only takes a few bites of salad and then maybe eats 3 or 4 dubia roaches. His poops are very consistent and well formed and he drinks lots of water whenever we give him a bath. we do dust his roaches in calcium and a multi vit about 3 times a week.
3. How can we help him be more active/interested in food and/or running around. We have a harness for him and want to start taking him outside so he can get some real sun but he just seems so lazy.
4. He shed about a couple days after we got him, his feet and his back and belly all shed. To me his tail and head look whiter than the rest of his body, maybe he is gearing up to shed again and its just taking a while? attaching pics. You can see the linear uvb fixture in the set up but its there i promise. the two domes are a basking bulb and small che to help get temps up on cold days.

This is my first beardie so any help would be amazing. We do eventually want to get him in something bigger than a 40gal. we are currently saving up.
He looks around 6 months- please get the T 8 inside the tank- they are not strong enough to go thru the screen - please get it directly over a piece of basking decor 6-8 inches- accurate surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- ir guns are good they just don't read off of certain materials- your dragon is shedding- he's going thru relocation stress- so the appetite will be off from shedding and relocation but also the uvb needs to be corrected - this is crucial to his health- the T 8 will need to be changed out in approx 6 months I recommend 5- I would recommend upgrading that T 8 to a T 5 when you get a bigger tank - he's pretty young right now for outside- they are fast and you can loose him really fast- I would wait till he gets acclimated to his tank and surroundings before taking him outside- work on getting him hand tamed - feed by hand and I would put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in his hide something w/ your scent on it -

glizzysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glizzy
He looks around 6 months- please get the T 8 inside the tank- they are not strong enough to go thru the screen - please get it directly over a piece of basking decor 6-8 inches- accurate surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- ir guns are good they just don't read off of certain materials- your dragon is shedding- he's going thru relocation stress- so the appetite will be off from shedding and relocation but also the uvb needs to be corrected - this is crucial to his health- the T 8 will need to be changed out in approx 6 months I recommend 5- I would recommend upgrading that T 8 to a T 5 when you get a bigger tank - he's pretty young right now for outside- they are fast and you can loose him really fast- I would wait till he gets acclimated to his tank and surroundings before taking him outside- work on getting him hand tamed - feed by hand and I would put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in his hide something w/ your scent on it -
Hi Karrie Thank you! Six months?? wow! i totally thought he might almost be an adult that is so helpful to know thank you! we will adjust our care accordingly :) i considered putting the UVB inside the tank but to be honest i'm kinda terrified its gonna fall on top of him, do you have any recommendations for hanging it? i know a lot of people use zip ties and what not but is there a place that sells like brackets to hold it? i already have a back up bulb for when it goes out and have a reminder in my phone to go off in approx 5 months :) He has a digital probe thermometer on the side of his cage just above his basking spot as well and an old school thermometer on the cool side. He's really good with handling he cuddles on our shoulders a lot, really like our body heat and sometimes doesn't even wanna get back in the viv, he's a really loving and cuddly guy, no idea why someone would have surrendered him :(

glizzysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glizzy
He is a very pretty dragon 🐉.
Something most people over looks is the fact the petstores don't feed them correctly/enough so they are ravenous when you first bring them home. I've seen it in every beardie i got that wasn't a baby. After they have had a few days to acclimate and get thier bellies full they tend to slow up a bit. As long as your lighting is on point and they do eat and poo it's not really a big deal.
As for the calcium he needs that 1 time per day everyday. The multivitamins 3 to 4 times per week.
You have come to the right place for info or just exchanging stories and photos, everyone here loves beardies and the folk that takes the time to learn to be good keepers. Ask any questions you may have and share any storirs or pics you want. It's a great crowd here. 🙂
Thank you! we think he's a cutie too! Thank you so much for all your help! everyone on this site has been so kind and helpful! <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Karrie Thank you! Six months?? wow! i totally thought he might almost be an adult that is so helpful to know thank you! we will adjust our care accordingly :) i considered putting the UVB inside the tank but to be honest i'm kinda terrified its gonna fall on top of him, do you have any recommendations for hanging it? i know a lot of people use zip ties and what not but is there a place that sells like brackets to hold it? i already have a back up bulb for when it goes out and have a reminder in my phone to go off in approx 5 months :) He has a digital probe thermometer on the side of his cage just above his basking spot as well and an old school thermometer on the cool side. He's really good with handling he cuddles on our shoulders a lot, really like our body heat and sometimes doesn't even wanna get back in the viv, he's a really loving and cuddly guy, no idea why someone would have surrendered him :(
I am going to have another person on here look at him about his age but the one pic from above he looks young- I could be off so lets get someone elses out take on this -- you can use fishing line - picture wire hangers or long plastic zip ties or 3M velcro fasteners to use in the tank -- who ever surrendered him most likely could not afford him is a guess - or they could of been moving its hard to say - but its good they did - we see a lot of dragons on here coming from very poor conditions - some do not make it --
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He/she is about the size of a 6-8 month old but it really depends on number of things like genetics and care given as they were growing. Theoretically it could be a large 4 month old or a small 2 year old. But the best guess of the average age of a 16-17" dragon is 6-8 months. Looks healthy though.

glizzysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glizzy
I am going to have another person on here look at him about his age but the one pic from above he looks young- I could be off so lets get someone elses out take on this -- you can use fishing line - picture wire hangers or long plastic zip ties or 3M velcro fasteners to use in the tank -- who ever surrendered him most likely could not afford him is a guess - or they could of been moving its hard to say - but its good they did - we see a lot of dragons on here coming from very poor conditions - some do not make it --
@AHBD
Thank you! i will look into hanging his light inside of the tank with some UVB resistant zip ties :) This was very helpful and so appreciated.

glizzysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glizzy
He/she is about the size of a 6-8 month old but it really depends on number of things like genetics and care given as they were growing. Theoretically it could be a large 4 month old or a small 2 year old. But the best guess of the average age of a 16-17" dragon is 6-8 months. Looks healthy though.
Thank you so much! thats great to hear! :) we will adjusts his diet accordingly and see if that helps with his appetite.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom