new to snakes, looking for opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash0587

Hatchling Member
Hey all,
I've always been fascinated by snakes and have always wanted one. I feel like im ready to start doing research on the type I choose to keep but I'd like a little guidance. I 'm looking for a type of snake that is more prone to tolerate handling and I'd like to focus on smaller snakes since I am a begginer.
thanks for any suggestions, and links to your favorite snake sites are appreciated!

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Corn snakes are the top choice for new snake owners, they're very very easy to keep. Ball pythons, while popular, are a little more difficult as they require a nearly perfect husbandry to be healthy:

www.ball-pythons.net is an amazing site for ball pythons, not sure for corns.

ash0587

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply and the site. Reading through some of the posts about balls has swayed me towards a corn. I love the look of the balls, and I know I can handle difficult/picky animals, but it would be nice to have one that isn't complicated to care for :) but knowing me I will probably end up with one of each!

herpchick

Not sure if you chose yet but i own a bp and while yes it is rewarding i will say it is no walk in the park either... Not to dis bps as i love them and hope to own more.

1.) they can be very picky eaters --- mine will only eat white rodents

2.) they tend to go off food --- mine for the second year in a row has stopped eating in dec and most likely will not eat again until april if he does it is only once per month instead of weekly.

3.) yes they require a difficult husbandry--- my tank is absolutely horrid for humidity so i have to help him shed every month

If you are looking for smaller look at the kenyan sand boa an awesome little species that only gets about 1.5 feet and will only eat sm/med mice as an adult they are one of the only species able to live in a sand environment and abush their prey from beneath the sand. Or the hognose but they can have a bit of an attitude where as the kenyan does not

Itali88

Ball Pythons are relatively easy to care for, as i have 4 of them and they are beyond easy. as for handling they are great, very social. as with every animal there are pros and cons, pythons can be picky eaters or they can want to eat whatever you put in front of them ( my smallest python refuses to eat anything that is not an african soft fur. I chose the Python as my first snake, as i have never owned any reptile before them and they are great.

I had to put in my two cents to this thread. Western hognose snakes do not get very big and can make great beginner snakes. It's a bit tough to get them to eat at first, but if you have the breeder change them over to mice, then it should go smoothly. They are mildly venemous, but not dangerous unless you have an allergic reaction. I got bit by one and it just swelled a bit. Plus they are the cutest snakes ever. :mrgreen:

Like everyone else is saying, corn snakes are one of the best starter snakes too.

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
Cornsnakes have my vote!

I adopted my first Corn (& snakes), Apollo, and now snakes are my favorite pet. We also adopted a Ball recently, Basil, and he's a doll. :)

Ball Pythons aren't difficult to take care of if you do your research. His previous owner couldn't get him to eat frozen/thawed (the safest method of feeding), and Basil was terrified of live rats, but it was the only thing his previous owner said he would eat. We were able to get him to eat f/t the first feeding with us, we simply let him be for about 3 hours with the f/t in the tub with him. :)

Despite having little to no problems with Basil, Corns are by far the easiest to care for. They are also much cheaper to feed (med. to large rat VS. an adult mouse). You can feed a Ball for 20 days for the same price as feeding a Corn for 28-40 days. Our Apollo is underweight, so we feed him on a weekly schedule, when we usually feed on a 10 day cycle.

Best of luck on your snake! IMO, they're much easier to care for than a Beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom