New to forum and Iggy Pop needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggy Pop

Hello. Iggy Pop is not doing well. He is about 3 1/2 years old and is struggling moving his arms/legs and cannot move from one side of his cage to the other. We called several vets and were told that the next available appointment would be 1-2 MONTHS away! I have to say we may not be the best owners for him (my son is no longer interested) but I hate to see the little guy suffer. So I'm asking for help. Is there anyone that would be willing to start a conversation to help me help Iggy Pop? I have several pictures but don't want to take up a lot of space. I'm disparate..... Let me know. Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello. Iggy Pop is not doing well. He is about 3 1/2 years old and is struggling moving his arms/legs and cannot move from one side of his cage to the other. We called several vets and were told that the next available appointment would be 1-2 MONTHS away! I have to say we may not be the best owners for him (my son is no longer interested) but I hate to see the little guy suffer. So I'm asking for help. Is there anyone that would be willing to start a conversation to help me help Iggy Pop? I have several pictures but don't want to take up a lot of space. I'm disparate..... Let me know. Thanks.
Please tell us what your using for uvb No coils please
Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them No stick ons.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Show us pics of everything, the dragon, lights and enclosure if possible. The more info we have the better we can help.

How long have you noticed him not be able to move? What does his diet consist of? How often does he get calcium?

Iggy Pop

Original Poster
Show us pics of everything, the dragon, lights and enclosure if possible. The more info we have the better we can help.

How long have you noticed him not be able to move? What does his diet consist of? How often does he get calcium?
Hello and thank you for responding. It's probably best to attach a few pics as words may not say it all. He has very little movement in his front legs, the back quiver when he tries to move. But basically 2 UVB lamps, 1 ceramic heat lamp, 1 basking lamp. He is in a 40 gallon tank w/ sand, a floor tile, a hammock, a house. Screen on top of tank for the lights. Temp around low 80's to mid 90's. His diet is mostly superworms (daily), Dubia roaches (he doesn't care for them), veggie mixture of yellow, orange peppers, various greens (hopefully you can tell from the pic as I don't know exactly what they are, wife prepares the mix). Calcium is about once or twice a week on the worms or roaches (he knows when calcium is on them and doesn't eat them). We were originally told not to have water in his cage but now we hear that we should??? Unfortunately, he gets no exercise, really don't know how to do that and his house really doesn't look big enough for him but it was the biggest I could find. We really don't have room for a large enclosure and since my son is not interested in him anymore, he is largely ignored. So I'm trying to take over the care of him but have no idea how. I don't know if trying warm shallow water in a bath tub could help him exercise and I also read in this forum that tart cherry juice can help with gout?? Hopefully, this is enough info to start with. Please look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Thank you so much!!!
20220125_174836[11010].jpg
20220125_174849[11009].jpg
20220125_174249[11014].jpg
20220125_174123[11018].jpg
20220125_174308[11012].jpg
20220125_174152[11016].jpg
20220125_174226[11015].jpg

Attachments

• 20220125_174830[11011].jpg
    20220125_174830[11011].jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220125_174849[11009].jpg
    20220125_174849[11009].jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 83

Iggy Pop

Original Poster
Hello and thank you for responding. It's probably best to attach a few pics as words may not say it all. He has very little movement in his front legs, the back quiver when he tries to move. But basically 2 UVB lamps, 1 ceramic heat lamp, 1 basking lamp. He is in a 40 gallon tank w/ sand, a floor tile, a hammock, a house. Screen on top of tank for the lights. Temp around low 80's to mid 90's. His diet is mostly superworms (daily), Dubia roaches (he doesn't care for them), veggie mixture of yellow, orange peppers, various greens (hopefully you can tell from the pic as I don't know exactly what they are, wife prepares the mix). Calcium is about once or twice a week on the worms or roaches (he knows when calcium is on them and doesn't eat them). We were originally told not to have water in his cage but now we hear that we should??? Unfortunately, he gets no exercise, really don't know how to do that and his house really doesn't look big enough for him but it was the biggest I could find. We really don't have room for a large enclosure and since my son is not interested in him anymore, he is largely ignored. So I'm trying to take over the care of him but have no idea how. I don't know if trying warm shallow water in a bath tub could help him exercise and I also read in this forum that tart cherry juice can help with gout?? Hopefully, this is enough info to start with. Please look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Thank you so much!!!
View attachment 67221 View attachment 67222 View attachment 67226 View attachment 67227 View attachment 67228 View attachment 67224 View attachment 67225
Sorry, his issue has been on and off for 2 or 3 months.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry, his issue has been on and off for 2 or 3 months.
First thing get rid of the coil UVB you need one of these ASAP
40 gallon tank 24" Zoo Med fixture Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement will be different from the bulb you need
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
Sunblaster Nano Tech 24" SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp you need to replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or the Arcadia 12% bulb
Please get rid of the sand and replace the all textured ceramic tile NO coarse stuff or real smooth or get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store
How big is the tank? The UVB's I posted are for a 40 gallon the Zoo Med would work on a 20 gallon tank but you will need to upgrade the tank if its less than 40 and even a 40 gallon is not big enough for a adult dragon
the basking light is good as long as its keeping temps 95-100 for a 5-6 month old dragon if its younger than 5 months 105-110 those are surface basking temps place the probe on the spot where he basks 10 min get the temp
he needs a salad everyday Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
dust the insects everyday w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding in order for him to be able to absorb / synthesize the calciumD3 he MUST have the correct UVB that is posted above --- do this NOW -
He is getting sicker everyday w/ the coil UVB
You do not need the heat emitter unless your tank is dropping below 65 at nite --
Please get another digital probe thermometer for the cool side of the tank you want temps in the tank basking temps posted above middle of the tank 90's and cool side of the tank during the day 80's
the screen on your tank is a wide holed that is good the UVB can sit on top
if you need anymore help w/ anything please ask - please post a pic of the whole tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As suggested, definitely try to change & upgrade your UVB lighting to a tube bulb, if possible. He is most likely
developing metabolic bone disease which is very common. He isn't able to absorb calcium or nutrients very well
since the UVB wavelength isn't producing adequate UVB. As Karrie suggested, theT5 tube bulbs from either
Reptisun or Arcadia are great.
Can he walk or support himself on all fours or not very well?
We normally recommend not having a water dish in the tank especially if they aren't able to move real well at the
risk of drowning.
Where are you placing the digital probe for temperature readings?
You can use the calcium powder several times per week. If he isn't eating real well you can make a nutritional slurry
for him to make sure he is getting adequate food intake.

Tracie

Iggy Pop

Original Poster
Hello,

As suggested, definitely try to change & upgrade your UVB lighting to a tube bulb, if possible. He is most likely
developing metabolic bone disease which is very common. He isn't able to absorb calcium or nutrients very well
since the UVB wavelength isn't producing adequate UVB. As Karrie suggested, theT5 tube bulbs from either
Reptisun or Arcadia are great.
Can he walk or support himself on all fours or not very well?
We normally recommend not having a water dish in the tank especially if they aren't able to move real well at the
risk of drowning.
Where are you placing the digital probe for temperature readings?
You can use the calcium powder several times per week. If he isn't eating real well you can make a nutritional slurry
for him to make sure he is getting adequate food intake.

Tracie
Hello All! Thanks again for the info! I have the Arcadia 12% T5 kit on order w/ an extra bulb. Hopefully, will pick it up tomorrow. I've read that tart cherry juice may help?? If so, should be a diluted mix of the juice or what percent is acceptable and how do you administer it? Also, would a shallow, slightly warm water bath in a bath tub help him exercise? Like I said, my son doesn't take care of him so he gets no exercise. How does a beardie get excercise anyway? Will increase the calcium on the bugs, don't know how to make him eat them though. Any other suggestions??? Let me know. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello All! Thanks again for the info! I have the Arcadia 12% T5 kit on order w/ an extra bulb. Hopefully, will pick it up tomorrow. I've read that tart cherry juice may help?? If so, should be a diluted mix of the juice or what percent is acceptable and how do you administer it? Also, would a shallow, slightly warm water bath in a bath tub help him exercise? Like I said, my son doesn't take care of him so he gets no exercise. How does a beardie get excercise anyway? Will increase the calcium on the bugs, don't know how to make him eat them though. Any other suggestions??? Let me know. Thanks!
Swimming in like a sink where he has his legs able to move or put him on the floor in a room that is beardie proof - no other pets no stuff on the floor you dont want him to eat and nothing he can get under that you cant get him out - please post back on here when you get the UVB so we can help you get it placed for your tank they have certain distance and placement and your screen is going to determine that

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going for him today?
You can mix the juice with water to a one part juice & 2 or 3 parts water. Just enough to keep it from having too much sugar in it. You can
give a bath a few times weekly for exercise in a plastic bin also. Just be sure the water isn't too deep but enough to where he can move his
legs around. Always keep your hand in there so that he feels safe. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Iggy Pop

Original Poster
Hello,

How are things going for him today?
You can mix the juice with water to a one part juice & 2 or 3 parts water. Just enough to keep it from having too much sugar in it. You can
give a bath a few times weekly for exercise in a plastic bin also. Just be sure the water isn't too deep but enough to where he can move his
legs around. Always keep your hand in there so that he feels safe. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
OK, got the Arcadia UVB light. I put it on top of his cage. It's about 15-16 inches above the surface. I also have the ceramic heater and the basking lamp on top of his cage. The temp is only around 85-90 degrees. We remove his house during the day and he just crawls to the other side where his hammock is and lays underneath it. His front arms are behind him. Today, he wouldn't eat a single worm or any of his salad. I put his house back in (I feel he needs something to sleep in at night). He crawled into it and just closed his eyes. Very worried.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OK, got the Arcadia UVB light. I put it on top of his cage. It's about 15-16 inches above the surface. I also have the ceramic heater and the basking lamp on top of his cage. The temp is only around 85-90 degrees. We remove his house during the day and he just crawls to the other side where his hammock is and lays underneath it. His front arms are behind him. Today, he wouldn't eat a single worm or any of his salad. I put his house back in (I feel he needs something to sleep in at night). He crawled into it and just closed his eyes. Very worried.
please post a pic of your screen - please get his temps raised to 95-100 for basking surface temps - please post a pic of the tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry he is still having a rough time. As suggested, please post a picture of your lighting placement with the screen.
Are you keeping him warm overnight also? Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Iggy Pop

Original Poster
Hello Everyone!
It's been a while since I've been able to post an update to Iggy Pop's situation. After purchasing the Acadia UVB light and the felt mat to help with his movements, adding diluted cherry juice to his diet, his health did not improve. We finally were able to see an exotic animal vet on the Feb 28th. They did a blood test and we found out that his uric acid level was off the chart and he was suffering badly. The vet said we could try medicine to see if it would help but the chances were slim that he would be able to improve/recover from the high acid levels and that he would need to be on it for the rest of his life. It was decided that it would be best if we put him down. It was a very difficult decision and also very heart wrenching. He was a very good pet and will be missed. It is unfortunate that we didn't know how to properly take care of such a creature. It appears that we did not hydrate him enough and did not add enough calcium to his diet. So, as I say goodbye, thank you for all your assistance in trying to help him. Everyone on this forum is the best! I wish everyone the best of luck with their bearded dragons and make sure you understand the needs of how to keep such an animal in such an environment. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom