New to beardies is this normal

DisoDragon

Beardie name(s)
Orange
My buddy orange has kind of gone off his salad, I can get him to eat a bit if I hand feed. He has been to the vet at the end of October the only report officially was an elevated white blood cell that’s linked to inflammation in bearded dragons .

His poops have been brown and healthy looking, no foul odor to be spoken of. I got no news on the fecal study from the vet

He seems very with it, when I bring him out of the enclosure he’s quite curious and active. Even only being in my care for a month he tolerates my handling very well and enjoys baths, possibly to the point that he takes too many I.e every other day. His humidity ranges from 35 on the hot side to about 37-38 on the cool side . The large mountain structure in my photo is also a fairly large hide.

When I adopted him I was told he was a she but the vet seemed very confident after digitally analyzing his genitals that he is a male

I have no official age for him but based on his size he the vet said approximately 1 year, but the previous owner who had him for almost 5 months before they couldn’t care for him anymore said he was 2 when they got him so almost 30 months if all that is accurate

Outside of the salad issue he seems pretty much like he always has poops once a day to once every 3 days depending on how much he’s eating, after 3 days I massage his right side a bit to coax out the poops and give him a slightly warmer long bath and that has done the trick so far

I’m gonna send a photo of a couple things which I think and hope are just the start to shedding but I’d like some folks with more experience to rest my mind before I fly off to the vet again thinking he’s really sick

The concerning parts are the very pale parts at the left side of his back and his face and eye. Is there anything. I can do? Is this normal, he’s not aggressive although for the first time ever he kinda swatted my hand away from scratching under his beard

Thanks everyone I hope my buddy orange is ok

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 107

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He is a very pretty dragon. Dragons are notorious for not eating greens, that is normal. And yes that looks like shed, as they get older they don't really do whole boby sheds, it gets pretty patchy.
As far a sexing I'll post a pic to help you, a word of advice however is be careful with the light they can get hot enough to burn him.

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 57

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My buddy orange has kind of gone off his salad, I can get him to eat a bit if I hand feed. He has been to the vet at the end of October the only report officially was an elevated white blood cell that’s linked to inflammation in bearded dragons .

His poops have been brown and healthy looking, no foul odor to be spoken of. I got no news on the fecal study from the vet

He seems very with it, when I bring him out of the enclosure he’s quite curious and active. Even only being in my care for a month he tolerates my handling very well and enjoys baths, possibly to the point that he takes too many I.e every other day. His humidity ranges from 35 on the hot side to about 37-38 on the cool side . The large mountain structure in my photo is also a fairly large hide.

When I adopted him I was told he was a she but the vet seemed very confident after digitally analyzing his genitals that he is a male

I have no official age for him but based on his size he the vet said approximately 1 year, but the previous owner who had him for almost 5 months before they couldn’t care for him anymore said he was 2 when they got him so almost 30 months if all that is accurate

Outside of the salad issue he seems pretty much like he always has poops once a day to once every 3 days depending on how much he’s eating, after 3 days I massage his right side a bit to coax out the poops and give him a slightly warmer long bath and that has done the trick so far

I’m gonna send a photo of a couple things which I think and hope are just the start to shedding but I’d like some folks with more experience to rest my mind before I fly off to the vet again thinking he’s really sick

The concerning parts are the very pale parts at the left side of his back and his face and eye. Is there anything. I can do? Is this normal, he’s not aggressive although for the first time ever he kinda swatted my hand away from scratching under his beard

Thanks everyone I hope my buddy orange is ok
Your dragon is going to shed

BallPythonNut53

The white patches are areas that are shedding most likely. Beardies shed areas of their body vs all at once. Make sure to give him a soak every now and then if you don't have much humidity in the enclosure (like once a week or so). Too much humidity can lead to respiratory infections. If anything, I'd cut back on baths a bit.

It's pretty normal for beardies to be a bit stubborn with their food from time to time, not necessarily a sign that something's wrong all by itself. Ours had days where he refused greens, especially right after we treated him to something he doesn't have often like a raspberry or the odd hornworm.

DisoDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Orange
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone, he doesn’t like crawling under his log hide, prefers to go over it so I bought like a soft bristle toothbrush to scratch his back a bit to help him get the itchies, he seems to like it sits real still eyes open and let’s me brush it a bit each day. Will try the advise and already through much trial and error I have gotten his humidity standard into the mid to high 30s constantly , between 34 and 38% across the zones in his habitat

I just changed today his bulb from a 75 watt to a 50 watt, because somehow in the span of 2 days the 75 cooked his rock almost to 130 dropped his ambient temps by about 3 degrees to around 82 on the warm side and 78-79 on the cooler end with his rock hide being around 75

I’m gonna post some questions in the lighting and uv stuff to make sure I’m getting him as good as I can , the enclosure was easy some of these specialty thermostats and UV measuring tools will take some saving up yo purchase because in my area many are 200$+

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Karrieree is great with lights, give her a shout and she can help you get your setup on point.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom