New to Bearded Dragon Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llynya

Hello, I recently got my son a bearded dragon and according to the pet store we're doing great with care, but I have learned to take what is said from time to time with a bit of salt know what I mean.

We have a 55 Gallon (At lest I thought it was, it measures 14X50 so the screen lid is an inch too short fitting in the groove length wise but mostly great width wise)
A screen top lid
undertank heater rated for 55gal
150 watt no light heat emitter for night
150 watt basking light for day

Thermometers are stick on one's.
Upper read's 95/100
lower reads 70/75

She's about a year old they said, a little small for her size, and a hypo red.
She's super friendly and deals with all the kid's petting her, love's to be hand feed her greens.
We have some natural wood for her, one piece let's her get about 6 inch from top of tank to bask. That put's the lamp about 8 inch above her. Is that too close? Are we using enough heat?
I had one person telling me he uses 2 160 watt basking for day, undertank heater for 55gal, plus 2 150 watt heat bulbs for night on his 55.
Information I find is so conflicting on the internet.
We were also told salad once daily for her and crickets only once a week.
I've increased her salad to twice daily and leaving a little in the tank for snacking.
We have a leopard gecko and frog so we're getting crickets about every other day and thinking of putting her on that schedule too.
We are growing our own lettuces for her currently, planning on a window box planter to try and grow it year round. Have not tried fruit yet, but she loves red bell peppers.
I've read on a few things about climbing vines, but no one at the pet store said they use them, do they? I'm looking into some foliage to go near the shaded cave like area one of the pieces of wood provides. And by natural wood I mean real wood that grew on a tree, came off, washed up on the beach, took it home and scrubbed it, sun baked it again, then oven baked it. I think if you can find the real thing it's better, just personal opinion.
Any suggestions on live plants that would survive the habitat, and maybe be edible for her?
My son is almost 6 and this is his first pet, her name is Flower.

And before anyone starts going in on his age this house is big on responsibility.
He makes his bed, load's his dishes into the dishwasher, wipes down counters, is in charge of watering the front yard every morning, pull's weeds, help care in the garden, changes over laundry, is in charge of vacuuming the playroom (mom get's to follow behind to get what he misses, sometimes I clean first and he get's what I miss.)
I'm not raising irresponsible people that can't care for themselves when they move out.
Sorry, I'm used to people looking at their age and not at THEM. Yes they run around like crazy animals giving me a headache daily, but they have learned more self care and family help then most teenagers I've met.

Thank you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it sounds like Flower is a real sweet beardie, a good choice for a first timer. :) And your son sounds like a very responsible 6 year old, good for you, keep up the good work ! He probably will do well with Flower, but of course you are the real " owner" in the sense of absolute decision making, but your son will no doubt enjoy his new friend. :)

The heating sounds good, but stick on dials don't always give an accurate temp. Your friend who suggested 2 160 watt bulbs and other heat at night is way off, way too much heat....I wonder if his dragon is always overheated. For that matter as long as it doesn't get below 65 at night you don't need any heat, and you don't want it to get above 78-80. I also use driftwood from outside, dragons love it and it looks great. As for plants, they will not survive well....beardies will dig, stomp on + chew them to little stubs. :lol:

To be sure your lights are good, can you list the exact brand + type you have, especially the UVB ? And that's a great idea to grow your veggies....the best greens are turnip, mustard, collard + dandelion. And please post pics when you can. :)

Llynya

Original Poster
The heat only bulb is a generic I found online, couldn't find one that didn't produce heat at any of my local pet stores.
Item Type
Ultraviolet / Reptile Lamps
High Visual
Stimulates Plant Growth
Voltage 110v or 220v
UVB Bulb
150W
The basking light is Zoo Med brand in the 150 watt. it's more of a flat surface then the usual round of regular bulbs.
Sadness that plants have little chance to make it.
Plus side he's snaking along with her so his veggie intake has increased :lol: .
Do you have suggested type and place for the thermometer? It's been difficult finding needed item's at pet stores here.
Currently using lamps from Wilco (inexpensive metal, shallow, work for now) until the one's I ordered arrive, Zoo Med deep dome.
I can't figure out how to add pictures. I went to the upload and clicked the browse, but it only goes to something called camera roll and I have no photo's in there. Can't get it to go to my pictures folders.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmmm....not sure what brand of UVB you have, maybe you can get pics of the bulb itself or the box it came in ? To get pics on here you can upload them to a site like Photobucket, then copy/paste the img/url here. UVB is critical for good health so you want to make sure that your bulb is the right one. The best one is the Reptisun 10.0 tube [ not coil or compact ] For heat you can use any bright bulb [ not colored ] like halogen, old fashioned household bulbs or small flood lamps. You'll get good tips from the articles on the right hand side of the page here as well.

JayceeBuddy67

Juvie Member
Hi! Just wanted to add something in! You need to get rid of those floor heters. Beardies can get severly burned. Other wise, you sound good to go! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom