New tank new crazy

mushumom2021

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
I have had my female dragon for a little over a year now, I’m not sure how old she is since I bought her from OfferUp.
Recently I moved her into a new tank, this tank had previously housed another beardie I had that passed away. The tank had been cleaned with soap and water as well as rubbing alcohol. It aired out for a day or so after being cleaned before I put the other dragon in it.
I set the tank up exactly the same as her old one, but now she is acting insane all the time, running around her tank all day making a giant mess. She is still eating but she is pooping every day, sometimes more. She used to be much lazier and would hang out in her favorite spot on her hammock. I’m at a loss and I’m not sure what to do for her at all.

Last edited:

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Sounds like she’s getting used to her new home and may do it for a couple of days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
For some dragons it just takes a while. If there are new views outside of the enclosure, that can make them restless as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have had my female dragon for a little over a year now, I’m not sure how old she is since I bought her from OfferUp.
Recently I moved her into a new tank, this tank had previously housed another beardie I had that passed away. The tank had been cleaned with soap and water as well as rubbing alcohol. It aired out for a day or so after being cleaned before I put the other dragon in it.
I set the tank up exactly the same as her old one, but now she is acting insane all the time, running around her tank all day making a giant mess. She is still eating but she is pooping every day, sometimes more. She used to be much lazier and would hang out in her favorite spot on her hammock. I’m at a loss and I’m not sure what to do for her at all.
Make sure your lighting is all good and correct placement for the UVB--- it may be new tank newness to her but we can go over the lighting and surface basking temps w/ you-- do you know what the dragon passed from that you had previously? What UVB are you using a coil or a long tube fixture ? Once we rule those things out then we can know for sure its just newness to the tank --- the temps in the tank and UVB are critical here --- they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon

mushumom2021

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Sounds like she’s getting used to her new home and may do it for a couple of days.
It’s almost been a week, I
Make sure your lighting is all good and correct placement for the UVB--- it may be new tank newness to her but we can go over the lighting and surface basking temps w/ you-- do you know what the dragon passed from that you had previously? What UVB are you using a coil or a long tube fixture ? Once we rule those things out then we can know for sure its just newness to the tank --- the temps in the tank and UVB are critical here --- they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon
we aren’t sure what happen to the other dragon, I found her dead one day out of nowhere. Her basking temps are around 95 degrees. I’m using a long tube fixture for the tanks UVB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s almost been a week, I

we aren’t sure what happen to the other dragon, I found her dead one day out of nowhere. Her basking temps are around 95 degrees. I’m using a long tube fixture for the tanks UVB
Ok so your taking the surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? Those are the most accurate - 95-100 is good-- long tube fixture is what brand and bulb ? This is really important - these tubes need certain placement and distance for effectiveness

mushumom2021

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Ok so your taking the surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? Those are the most accurate - 95-100 is good-- long tube fixture is what brand and bulb ? This is really important - these tubes need certain placement and distance for effectiveness
I believe it’s a zoomed brand

mushumom2021

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 90

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is what it looks like when it’s not a mess..
Ok the fixture is ok and it looks to be a Zilla brand-- please replace the bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb this bulb is a better bulb --- next you will need to get the T 8 unobstructed for best effects of the UVB rays - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen or covers on the fixture - if there is a clear plastic cover on it take it off please -- next you will to either take the screen off or hang it in the tank over a piece of basking decor - so I would get the UVB situated first it needs to be approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor this is very crucial to the health of the dragon - if you need things to hang in side the tank please let me know I will post some -- but please get your T 8 unobstructed and get the Reptisun bulb I recommended -- this is going to help her acclimate to the new tank and should settle her down - she needs the UVB rays and the way its set up shes not getting much if any at all-- I would also recommend you upgrade your UVB here in the future to a Zoo Med 24" or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb --- you will need to change the T 8 bulb out in approx 6 months I recommend 5

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom