New tank help

Ericmack1

Beardie name(s)
Draco
Hi i just upgraded my beardie from a 40 gallon to a 125 gallon atazuki 55x22x24
In his old tank it was only 18 inches high so i left the uvb on the screen and it was fine, but now that this tank is higher should it be mounted on the inside of the tank? I have a 36” arcadia 12% t5 in a reflective hood, i keep seeing didferent answers and i really dont know what im doing lighting wise, his temperatures seem to be alright though. Pictures attached for reference

Attachments

• FFB9AE60-94F9-4D4A-901A-C6E20DC61BA1.jpeg
    FFB9AE60-94F9-4D4A-901A-C6E20DC61BA1.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 105
  • 690DCFF1-E589-432B-B10D-F08A71BFE145.jpeg
    690DCFF1-E589-432B-B10D-F08A71BFE145.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 85

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I would mount it inside. I have that same exact aquarium piece in the center of my tank too

Attachments

• 1C71383F-6E5A-47B4-A3AD-D273355BE26B.jpeg
    1C71383F-6E5A-47B4-A3AD-D273355BE26B.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 70

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I’ve used everything from zip ties to yes Velcro strips. Shoe strings, I’ve also used Double sided gorilla glue tape people trip when they hear that but it’s not toxic it doesn’t pull off any fumes I’ve used it for years and it holds up to 10 pounds. But yeah You can use a lot of different things

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Yeah that’s how tall mine is, From that distance through screen it wouldn’t be very sufficient. I have mine inside I also have that same piece of decor I have an actual basking spot with a basking ramp, under that my dragon gets about 14or15 inches. But every few days she will climb up onto that big log that you have and gets like within 10 inches but She knows what she’s doing when she does that. That’s why I have it in the middle so it’s not right under looks like yours is in the middle too so that’s good

Last edited:

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
When you put it in but that one end of the UVB all the way to the hot side so you could try to give The dragon a little bit of space on the cool side out of the UV

Phoenix1981

Beardie name(s)
Abraxis
Hi i just upgraded my beardie from a 40 gallon to a 125 gallon atazuki 55x22x24
In his old tank it was only 18 inches high so i left the uvb on the screen and it was fine, but now that this tank is higher should it be mounted on the inside of the tank? I have a 36” arcadia 12% t5 in a reflective hood, i keep seeing didferent answers and i really dont know what im doing lighting wise, his temperatures seem to be alright though. Pictures attached for reference
Honestly, you cannot know if you do not measure the uvb level your lamp gives out at how many inches it is away from the animal. A beardie needs between 3 and 4 in the Ferguson zone. I had the same problem and so so glad I invested in a meter. I think everybody should measure the level because every brand of light is different. What is advertised on the package does not mean your dragon is getting the full spectrum.

Ericmack1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Draco
I managed to get it inside the tank after lots of research about uvb, i definitely needed to! Used velcro, zip ties and twine to have multiple failsafes, thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 63

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Good job , just make sure they have access to those distances and replace bulb once yearly I do 10 months just to make sure because I don’t have a uv reader so I just replace it few months before they recommend. A t5 is yearly and a T8 would be every 6 months. Glad you figured it out let us know how the dragon does eating and pooping o er the next couple of weeks.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom