New tank for baby bearded dragon, Uvb question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zalaman

Hi my friend is going to buy a baby bearded dragon she has a ZM ReptiHabitat Bearded Dragon tank with a fine mesh top, what would you recommend for uvb? arcadia or reptisun t5 ho? Please could someone advise as to the strength and distance from inside the tank as i believe it cannot go on the outside because it is fine mesh, tank measurements below

20 gallon (long) glass terrarium 30"x 12"x 12" (76x30x30cm) with sliding screen top

Thanks in advance

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok well its good your getting the UVB now --- for a 20 gallon I would get a Zoo Med 24" fixture and use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ that fixture --- its basically a T 8 w/ the 5.0 bulb and would be good for the 20 gallon-- your going to need to take part of the sliding screen off or butt it up to the UVB width wise for now --- the 20 gallon will not last long as they grow pretty fast so you will need to upgrade the tank by the time hes around 6 months old or so --- then you will need to change out the 5.0 bulb to a 10.0 T 5 bulb --- the distance for the 5.0 for the 20 gallon is 6-8 inches so you would need a piece of decor to sit directly under the 5.0 w/ NO screen - its not strong enough to go thru the screen - please ask if you have anymore questions
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I gathered that if you need more help please ask-- I would look at starting w/ a 40 gallon she will be in that tank longer than the 20
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I gathered that if you need more help please ask-- I would look at starting w/ a 40 gallon she will be in that tank longer than the 20 and ease DO NOT buy a "kit" waste of money
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is it a 36 gallon tank? She will need to upgrade for sure-- the fixture I posted earlier will work- you can get a Arcadia 12% UVB bulb they are excellent bulbs--- you will need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 F for a baby and that temp needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- Stick ons are inaccurate--- also the Zoo Med fixture will fit the bulb as well 22"
Karrie

zalaman

Original Poster
Thanks karrie,

Forgot to mention my mistake she is buying a rankins dragon! thanks for the info. could you recommend a suitable basking bulb they all seem to have a yellowish tint im also in the uk, :D :D

zalaman

Original Poster
thanks carrie, your knowledge is invaluable,

:D :D

Just a thought could the mesh be cut in the lid so the uvb beam is directly in the tank as supposed to putting it in the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your welcome --- there are many others on here that can help w/ the Rankins breed -- I am not familiar w/ them -- so if you have specific questions we need to have them answer
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the Rankin's can be set up just like a bearded dragon and the 36 gal. will be fine for the Rankin's since they get to about 11-12" as adults. I agree with Karrie's recommendations on the lighting . Enjoy the new baby. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom