New Tank build questions

smith5

Hello all first time beardie owner here. I'm looking at building a new enclosure 48Lx24Wx22H and wanted to make sure i would be fine with the wood type. For the enclosure itself i was looking at poplar which from what i read should be fine as its considered a hardwood. I wanted to build a cabniet/table underneath the enclouser and wanted to use standard plywood and 2x2(kiln dried)for its contruction im pretty sure that would be pine. I know the pine oils can be toxic but wasnt sure if it would still be ok since the dragon would NOT be in contact with it at all.. will it still be ok?

smith5

Original Poster
Hello all first time beardie owner here. I'm looking at building a new enclosure 48Lx24Wx22H and wanted to make sure i would be fine with the wood type. For the enclosure itself i was looking at poplar which from what i read should be fine as its considered a hardwood. I wanted to build a cabniet/table underneath the enclouser and wanted to use standard plywood and 2x2(kiln dried)for its contruction im pretty sure that would be pine. I know the pine oils can be toxic but wasnt sure if it would still be ok since the dragon would NOT be in contact with it at all.. will it still be ok?
new tank with cabniet build complete. she looks happier now then back in that small 20 gal long tank.

Attachments

• IMG_8674.jpg
    IMG_8674.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_8675.jpg
    IMG_8675.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 182

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
new tank with cabniet build complete. she looks happier now then back in that small 20 gal long tank.
Nice job on the tank - I do have a question --- what brand of UVB are you using and what bulb--- what type of screen is it a fine mesh or a wide hole type? Also I recommend you get 2 digital probe thermometers like Zoo Med -- the stick ons are inaccurate and you want surface basking temps not air or ambient temps

smith5

Original Poster
Nice job on the tank - I do have a question --- what brand of UVB are you using and what bulb--- what type of screen is it a fine mesh or a wide hole type? Also I recommend you get 2 digital probe thermometers like Zoo Med -- the stick ons are inaccurate and you want surface basking temps not air or ambient temps
the UVB bulb is a reptisun 10.0 and there is no mesh i cut the holes out for the lamps and mounted them with brackets so they don't move and nothing is blocking the light. so you have a link for the thermometers you are suggesting?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the UVB bulb is a reptisun 10.0 and there is no mesh i cut the holes out for the lamps and mounted them with brackets so they don't move and nothing is blocking the light
Ok sounds good what bulb are you using a T 5 or a T 8 distance is different from the two

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
its a T8 at about 22" inches from light to bottom of the tank and about 10" from the bulb to basking spot
ok so I would get a piece of decor and place directly under the UVB 6-8 inches --- distance is key here for UVB effects -- I would look at replacing the T 8 w/ a T 5 in the future --- you will need to haft to buy a new fixture tho --- the T 5 has a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece and would need to be replaced in approx a year I recommend a month prior to the T 8 needs to be replaced in 6 months I recommend 5 months

smith5

Original Poster
ok so I would get a piece of decor and place directly under the UVB 6-8 inches --- distance is key here for UVB effects -- I would look at replacing the T 8 w/ a T 5 in the future --- you will need to haft to buy a new fixture tho --- the T 5 has a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece and would need to be replaced in approx a year I recommend a month prior to the T 8 needs to be replaced in 6 months I recommend 5 months
i have a dual can and only using one side over the basking spot would this work in the second spot if its pointed directly over the backing spot? im having a hard time finding a t5 bulb thats 17 inch to fit my fixture. and i would be a mission to cut the hole bigger.
1638806947716.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i have a dual can and only using one side over the basking spot would this work in the second spot if its pointed directly over the backing spot? im having a hard time finding a t5 bulb thats 17 inch to fit my fixture. and i would be a mission to cut the hole bigger.
View attachment 65777
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!! These are the worst!!! You can keep the T 8 but for the size of the tank its not recommended since its so big --- your going to haft to replace the fixture T 5's will not fit into a T 8 fixture the bulb is fatter where as the T5's are skinnier --- get the same length T 5 fixture -- how long is it? I can post some links for you?

smith5

Original Poster
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!! These are the worst!!! You can keep the T 8 but for the size of the tank its not recommended since its so big --- your going to haft to replace the fixture T 5's will not fit into a T 8 fixture the bulb is fatter where as the T5's are skinnier --- get the same length T 5 fixture -- how long is it? I can post some links for you?
the cut out is 24" inch long the bulb is 24". i see the 10.0 T5 bulbs come in 12", 22", 34", 46" so im guessing i would need a 22" bulb with fixture.

Attachments

• IMG_8676.jpg
    IMG_8676.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the cut out is 24" inch long the bulb is 18". i see the 10.0 T5 bulbs come in 12", 22", 34", 46" so im guessing i would need a 22" bulb with fixture.
Yes the fixture would take a 22" bulb ---- I dont see a reflector on the fixture -- are you using a under the counter fixture from like Home Depot or another hard ware store ? If so please replace it w a Reptile fixture --- you need a reflector on it --- they are very important for the rays to be directed downward to him ---- I am going to post some websites for UVB's
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood comes w/ a 5.0 bulb simliar to the T 8 you need this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this one its out of stock but a great fixture and bulb
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one a Sunblaster Nano Tech comes w/a bulb SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp you want the 24" or 2 ft fixture

smith5

Original Poster
the cut out is 24" inch long the bulb is 24". i see the 10.0 T5 bulbs come in 12", 22", 34", 46" so im guessing i would need a 22" bulb with fixture.
sorry the bulb currently in it is a 24" bulb so i wonder if the 22" would fit the it looks like the same twist and lock system

smith5

Original Poster
Yes the fixture would take a 22" bulb ---- I dont see a reflector on the fixture -- are you using a under the counter fixture from like Home Depot or another hard ware store ? If so please replace it w a Reptile fixture --- you need a reflector on it --- they are very important for the rays to be directed downward to him ---- I am going to post some websites for UVB's
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood comes w/ a 5.0 bulb simliar to the T 8 you need this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this one its out of stock but a great fixture and bulb
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one a Sunblaster Nano Tech comes w/a bulb SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp you want the 24" or 2 ft fixture
I don't think it has a reflector it was a hand me down from an old aquarium that i repurposed. Which of the three would be best for the high i have? If the t5bulb would fit in the fixture i have aluminum tape i could line the fixture with and make it reflective it not that hard.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don't think it has a reflector it was a hand me down from an old aquarium that i repurposed. Which of the three would be best for the high i have? If the t5bulb would fit in the fixture i have aluminum tape i could line the fixture with and make it reflective it not that hard.
Yep that would work- I am sorry I don't understand the question which of the three would be best for height I have? All 3 bulbs have same distance 12-15 inches for the T 5

smith5

Original Poster
Yep that would work- I am sorry I don't understand the question which of the three would be best for height I have? All 3 bulbs have same distance 12-15 inches for the T 5
with respects to the the reflectors does one work better than the other. also these all come with 5.0 T5 would that work or would i need to immediately need to get a 10.0 Bulb?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom