New Stackable Vivs I am building...UPDATED 10/11/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
Im curious too...He made a note at paying $25 per which is the price range of some of the softwoods like sanded pine? Your hardwoods like birch and oak usually run $40 1/2" and $45 3/4 and most local stores unless you grab elsewhere. I usually use 3/4" birch and can build a 4x2x2 cage out of one sheet for $45.

rdoyle

Juvie Member
kaco":27yucqc0 said:
Im curious too...He made a note at paying $25 per which is the price range of some of the softwoods like sanded pine? Your hardwoods like birch and oak usually run $40 1/2" and $45 3/4 and most local stores unless you grab elsewhere. I usually use 3/4" birch and can build a 4x2x2 cage out of one sheet for $45.
I know pine is bad for reptiles, but if it is seals is it still bad for them? I dont know to much about wood ect. Man I knew i should took that woodworking class in high school LOL :lol:

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I know soft woods can be bad for reptiles. This is pine but the outside got sealed and stained while the inside is getting primer, paint, and mod podge sealer. It will be completely reptile safe when done.

Hey Saleen.. I thought you might want to check out my viv's DIY page since I sort of borrowed your style.. I did/am doing a few things different, of all the viv's on here I really like the presentation of yours the best. Simple yet amazingly functional. If you have any suggestions for me I would love to hear them :mrgreen: I really hope that it's okay to use your idea. guess I should have asked first.. :oops: sorry. Hope you like them. I love the cherry stain BTW. I ended up painting mine black, as it will match the furniture in our house best. :blob5: haha shoulda put the link in.. woops
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=156557&p=1260241#p1260241

saleen89559":17esd39d said:
Go for it! :)

I will post dimensional diagrams tonight for others to use.

Thanks!

Yeah I managed to figure out how long each piece was.. I messed up just a tad bc I didn't compensate for the size of the wood and was an inch short for my back piece so I ended up just supporting it with some "L" brackets from the inside and am going to put mesh over the gap at the top on the backside and it will just be ventilation.. I'm just hoping it doesn't mess with keeping my temps at a constant, but I think it will work out.

rdoyle

Juvie Member
saleen89559":1jny4v7w said:
I know soft woods can be bad for reptiles. This is pine but the outside got sealed and stained while the inside is getting primer, paint, and mod podge sealer. It will be completely reptile safe when done.

Thanks for that. I will know that for when I do mine.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I got one of the new viv's done so I could move my big male "Spike" while he is brumating. Yes he is asleep in the box on the right side of the cage. He is perfectly fine in there with temps averaging 70 while no lights are on. So it leaves me free to work on day and hot spot temps at the same time. I have decor coming shortly for the cage.

Here are some pictures of the viv with lights on.

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

Here is the timer, dimmer, and CHE fixture with a Photocell inside the fixture. The CHE fixture has a bulb in it right now because I was just testing the circuit.
IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

I decided to go with a 24" UVB. The structures I am going to have in the cages will allow my beardies to get within 8" of the UVB.
IMG_1874.jpg

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Painted my vents today. I am going with a hammered/weathered copper metal look for my cage accents.

IMG_1876.jpg

Looks great!!! I wish now that I had put a dimmer in mine too! :( maybe I can still add one?? Bc my basking spot is reaching 120 and I can't find a bulb smaller than 50watts in the kind that I have.. hmmm!?How does your timer work with both CHE and the other lights on it? Does it turn the CHE on when it turns the others off? I didn't know a normal timer could do that?

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Original Poster
TravisConklin":y7b94kn6 said:
I really like that, very nice job. Can you go into the technique you used to get that color. Please.

I painted them flat black first. I left the flat black wet and started spraying copper hammered look paint on the wet flat black. I did that so when the copper started to fish eye, the black would bleed through more. I did the copper in small amounts till I got the look I wanted.

RangoTheBeardie":y7b94kn6 said:
Looks great!!! I wish now that I had put a dimmer in mine too! :( maybe I can still add one?? Bc my basking spot is reaching 120 and I can't find a bulb smaller than 50watts in the kind that I have.. hmmm!?How does your timer work with both CHE and the other lights on it? Does it turn the CHE on when it turns the others off? I didn't know a normal timer could do that?

My timer doesn't run my CHE fixture. That is controlled by the photcell. When my daylight timer shuts off the lights, the photocell detects that and turns on the circuit to the CHE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom