new snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
hey every1, by the title u should know what this is about. i am looking to buy a new snake soon:D so overall i will take any suggestions and think about that type of snake. 1st of all it cant be too big. the biggest cage i can fit is 4 ft by 2 ft( maybe 3 ft im not sure i would have to measure when i move my bed) and just about any height. so any snake that can fit that cage when full grown is still in the question. i need something somewhat cheap. like not alot of extras in the cage. and just the animal itself somewhat cheap. i am willing to speand 100$ on the animal and idk how much on the cage. i am ok with things like misting the cage or small care like that. i would perfur something that is easy to handle or that is at least able to be tamed. i have good expericance with reptiles too so that is not a problem. i helped my dad with his iguana when i was little and iv owned my corn snake for 6 or 7 years. i also got my beardie 4 months ago and he is still well. also. i was thinking some sort of python or very small boa( i know most boas get pretty big:p).

here are a few things i DO NOT want:
corn snake( very nice and easy but already have 1, looking to expand my collection)
ball python( idk exactly why i just dont really want 1:D)
and nothing that gets over 6-7 ft MAXIMUM( my dad thinks andthing bigger will kill me:p)

also, i was hoping that the snake could be arboreal, idk why i just like the look of those kinds of cages and stuff:p i was thinking about an emerald tree boa, how big do they get? if u can give me a care sheet on them that would be great:D

Gail

BD.org Addict
If you want a easy to handle snake then you don't want any kind of arboreal boa or python, they are notoriously aggressive. Plus they have very specific care requirements. Not a good choice at all for you.

Have you though about a gopher snake? They get to 5-6 feet and much thicker then a corn snake is but have very similar care. They can be a but grumpy when younger but with handling, they mellow out as the age.

There is also a rosy boa or sand boa. Both stay small and have easy care requirements, they are also very docile and usually good eaters.

I know their is a type of red tail that stays small, around 4-5 feet but they cost quite a bit more the $100.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How about a carpet python? Iv heard they are a little nippy when young and then mellow out. They are a bit longer then I would like but are somewhat skinny so don't need a huge cage, also they are semi arboreal I think. What do u think bout that?

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
I've met two carpets in my life, both females, both well fed and both wanted to eat my hands (clean no rodent odor on them). That is my experience with carpets, limited as it is lol. Sorry I can't help but I do like sand boas, very neat XD

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
how long and big around( plz tell me both) to the childrens python and hognose get? if u can plz post some pictures so i can see them. and what size cage do they need? and how are they with handling?

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was thinking something that gets around 5-7feet but somewhat bigger around then a corn snake

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Bigger snakes tent to get A LOT bigger. There isn't a lot of middle ground in my experience (which is limited in the scheme of things). I hope I'm not being rude, but you sound like a kid, and while it is wonderful that you want animals and are willing to care for them, "expanding your collection" might be something that should wait until you are on your own, established and able to provide complete care for the forseeable future. Of course, life circumstances happen, but IMO moving out of your parents house or going to college is not a valid excuse for abandoning your pets, and while it may be easy to say you will bring them with you or rehome them when those circumstances arise, that is not often an easy thing to do. I found myself in that position four years ago of having spread myself too thin and was unable to take care of my horse or bring him with me to school. I made the wrong decision, and the people I trusted to care for him nearly killed him. I have had trouble finding a place to live as many apartments and even small houses don't allow dogs, cats, lizards or even fish and I risk losing my security deposit as well as my lease if I lie and hide them.

The world hits you pretty hard at a certain point, and I am just hoping that you are aware of the circumstances that may arise for your animals because of changes in your life and that you consider them fully before making another acquisition. That $150-200 you are going to spend on a snake could very well save one of your other animals lives in vet bills or, in my case, pay my car insurance for a month. :p

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you for puitting that i perspective:D u are right i am only 15 years old:p i am in schol as u said and i do plan on going to college. but for 1, there are a few apartments by me that let u have small pets( just not dogs, otherwise pretty much anything) i know because my cousin who also loves reptiles lives there. and he said he will take care of my snake, beardie, and hopefully new snake( whicth we are disscusing in this forum) while i am in college .:p i just still have to give him money for like the mice and crickets:( he knows how to take care of them. he has a beardie, ball python and water dragon. but there are snakes that get about 5-7 feet. that i y i brought up the carpet python. the jungles get aroung 7 feet long and reletivly not to big around. iv heard they can become very tame with some hadling and patcience. but does any1 have an idea of how much the acuall animal costs. no the tank and everything in iot just the snake. if u do plz letme know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom