New Silkie owner and I need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessNicole

I’m a bearded dragon newbie and was misled and ended up with a Silkie. When I got him from the reptile store I went there to get food for my ball python and had ZERO intentions of getting ANY new pets. I had no clue Silkies even existed and was misled by the store owner about his care. I like to know all I can about all my animals so I did some searching online when I got home and that’s when I realized how misled I truly was. He’s just a baby and so sweet and I’m not planning on taking him back where he clearly wasn’t getting the care he needed. I’ve found very little on how to properly care for Silkies online and I’ve posted on Reddit and got NO helpful advice just a bunch of judgement from other beardie owners for even having him. I would love for someone that has some experience with them to give me some advice or tips on what has and hasn’t worked for them. I want to give him the best life that I can and I’m fully aware it’s gonna be a big long term job.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please PM AHBD about the care of silkies - find her name on one of the boards click on it her profile will come up then find PM on left side of the page -- she and a few others on here are more experienced on those breeds

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes I had a silkie years ago and although they require some different care they can still be pretty hardy. I used plain aloe gel [ this means NO alcohol or chemicals, scent of any kind ] I got my silkie as a sub adult so I didn't raise him from a baby. You can apply the aloe gel a couple times a week lightly. Soaking once a week in lukewarm shallow water is good, not more than that though. Be extra sure not to leave loose insects, especially crickets, in the tank. Basking branches are good rather than rocks or the rough cave structures. Plastic cage decor is fine too, but avoid anything with rough edges. Basking area can be a bit lower, 95 F is fine on the hot side, 75-80 on the cool side. Can you post full body close up pics of your baby and the enclosure/set up + lights ? Here's how:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom