New Scardie Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zae

Hello All!,

Wasn't sure where to post this but thought it might fall under Behavior, if not, please move this to the correct forum please!

So I just got my first bearded dragon. Her name is Faranth, about 5 months old.
Q8fU2uN

This is our first day together. She is understandably nervous and scared!. She keeps hiding and poking her cute lil nose above the wood to look at me and what is going on. Her viv is a 40 gallon, front open/close doors, repti sun 10.0 uvb with the basking temp maxing out at 109 on top of the wood measured with a temp laser gun. I put in 2 small clean wash cloths that I slept with last night because I heard using something with your scent on it helps them get used to you. Is that correct?

I'm also wondering when would be a good time to try to start handling her? The breeder I got her from said she had a very nice demeanor and loved baths, in fact, she played in her baths.

When I do start handling her, how should I go about it? I don't want to scare her more than she already is!

Thanks everyone!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She needs to acclimate to her tank and surroundings - I would only handle her in the tank for now - approach from the side not above - hand feed her as much as you can and give her time - BSFL are good worms to hand feed then use them as lures to her salad bowl - add them in front of her so it gets her attention DO NOT dust them --use as many as you want as they are a great staple feeder
www.symtonbsf.com the pic you posted did not show up
now last thing what is the 10.0 UVB a coil or a tube?

Zae

Original Poster
Right now I'm giving her gut loaded small dubias and superworms. She seems to be relaxing more as the day goes on. I'll go out and get some of the larvae later this weekend.

I'll try posting the picture of her again below:

The UVB is a tube and covers most of the enclosure from the inside, it does not sit on top of the mesh top. I also have a ceramic heat emitter to use during the winter if it gets too cold for her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She looks good -- the bulb for the 10.0 is a T 5 or a T 8 -- bulbs make a certain distance placement --

Zae

Original Poster
I believe the bulb is a T5.

She went from basking to zipping around her enclosure now lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure I dont want to give you the wrong distance - for a T 5 inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor ----- T 8 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- glad to hear shes energetic-- :lol:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the distance should be 6-8 inches from her decor piece and change the bulb out in 6 months from install I recommend 5

Zae

Original Poster
Ok thanks! I'll make a note on my calendar to change it. I got a few extra bulbs as well for things just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom