New rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I got a rescue beardie named Dino and I have a couple of health concerns for her, hoping you can help. The first thing is that she will sit with her mouth open just at the tip all day, and it seems like she can’t shut it. Sometimes her tongue will be sticking out in the morning or even throughout the day. Is this a sign of MBD? I have no clue what the previous owners did for lights, I know I have proper lighting/calcium due to having a previous beardie. The second thing is she will form this type of film around her mouth that seems to almost seal it shut. Could this be from her not being able to shut her mouth? The final thing is she does not drink water on her own or eat veggies. My previous beardie did all that just fine but she doesn’t seem interested at all. I’ve tried everything, collard greens, turnip greens, rainbow Swiss chard, fruit…. She won’t eat it. I have been giving her water through a spray bottle in the mornings so she doesn’t get dehydrated.

Last thing! I did take her to a “reptile vet” but she told me everything was fine and dandy, not to sure how I feel about that answer quite yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
112160-5883013653.jpg
112160-5851128981.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's good that you have the right lights + everything, what kind did you get ?
Yeah, she has just a slight deformity of her mouth but another thing is that she's either bloated or overweight. Sometimes that bloated look can be puffiness from an R.I. but not always, same with the mucous around the mouth. Hopefully after she's settled in for a while her eating habits will improve [ eating greens ] but for now go easy on the insects, maybe just a few bugs twice a week but offer good greens on the other days. Listen + watch closely to hear any wheezing or heavy breathing and if she seems sick in any way after a month of observing it might be good to find a new vet , just in case she needs antibiotics or bloodwork. Hopefully everything will work out with Dino and there won't be any serious health issues ! :)

goddardpeyy16

Original Poster
Her UVB is 22” reptisun 10.0 (24 W) and we’ve got a smaller 75 W heat lap as well as 2 100 W heat lamps. I’ve been feeding her super worms every other day with calcium. She eats about 10-12 per serving. Should I feed her less than that? She doesn’t eat greens but I’ll keep offering them. I have noticed that when she moves fast or moves from one side of the cage she does a wheezing sound but it’s only twice, could that be from being overweight? Are there any other ways I can help her loose weight?
The slight deformity is that from lack of calcium? And is there anything I can do to bring it back to normal?
Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, you have good uvb lights.If you have 250 watts of heat though that sounds excessive. How big is her enclosure and can you post pics of it ? Her mouth has a slight gape and an underbite which is caused by lack of calcium and/or improper uvb. It can't really be reversed but with good care it won't get worse and isn't much of a problem. As for feeding, I would cut the amount of superworms in half, no more than 5-6 twice a week. Did the vet weigh her BTW ?

goddardpeyy16

Original Poster
I’m sorry I miss spoke she has 2 75W lights and 1 100W. She’s in a 40 gallon tank. She did but I didn’t even think to ask, I will call today and see if I can get it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, and it would be good to get a scale at Walmart at some point so you can weigh her on your own from now on to keep up on that. If your lights are what you wrote.....two 75W and one 100 watt, that still equal 250 watts of heat in a relatively small tank. That sounds like way too much. How are you taking the temps ?

goddardpeyy16

Original Poster
That’s a good idea! What should her weight range be at? With 2 digital thermometers. The cooler side is at 70 with humidity of 40 and the basking side is at 85 with a humidity of 35. Are those temps too high?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, actually that is too low. Maybe you're reading the bulbs wrong, can you post pics of the bulbs themselves as well as the set up ? The basking spot should be around 100, the cool end around 75-80.

goddardpeyy16

Original Poster
Yes! I just got home and her basking is at 91 and the cool side is at 76. We ordered a back drop for her cage as well, it just hasn’t come yet!
  • 112160-1263190881.jpg
    112160-3750012592.jpg
    112160-917849946.jpg
    112160-4713562895.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, that's better. :) It would be good to put the uvb closer, like on the side of the heat bulbs where she would be basking in the heat. Heat + uvb can be a little complicated to figure out. :?

goddardpeyy16

Original Poster
Hi! I’m curious how Dino is doing! :)
She is doing very well!! Thank you! I was actually going to post a new forum but I will just ask here. She is about 18 inches long and is in a 40 gallon tank, she needs to be in a bigger tank doesn’t she? If yes, what size lights such as UVB and how should the lighting be set up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She is doing very well!! Thank you! I was actually going to post a new forum but I will just ask here. She is about 18 inches long and is in a 40 gallon tank, she needs to be in a bigger tank doesn’t she? If yes, what size lights such as UVB and how should the lighting be set up?
yes to a bigger tank like a 75-120 gallon UVB should be a long tube fixture -- what are you using now for a UVB? Screen on the tank is going to determine where the UVB can go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom