New rescue Quetzal. About 4 year old male beardie with some issues

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I've been thinking of getting a new rescue beardie for awhile. This guy has been in the Snake Discovery adoption island for something like 3 months? That was after his quarantine too. Something about him just called to me.

He can be Quetzalcóatl but Quetzal works good too

The history we have is he suffered an injury from something falling on him as a young lad. So he has partial paralysis of his hind limbs presumably from a lower back injury. Feet and the tail. He can move them. He obviously has sensation. Part of the end of his tail is missing from stuck shed. He currently has stuck shed on his head pretty bad. He may have some bad stuck ear shed, that was not disclosed, it is something I suspect after having him home for a day.

Quetzal is a spunky lad. He scoots around with his well developed front arms, pulling his hind limbs. After some experimenting we've found if assisted he can hold his body weight with his feet standing still. He also will try to ambulate properly with the hind limbs if the hip and tail are held up for him. I think he might be able to use ... it doesn't have a name, basically a surf board with wheels for a beardie. He is so friendly and tolerant of handling.

He will scoot up and down small slopes. He can crawl around on logs and cork bark.

First, the shed is a problem. I am worried for his ears. He has eaten bugs, seems a tad under condition so I would be happy if he gained weight. We did a bath for the shed. He drank water! I'm so used to Devlyn who does not drink water almost ever. He had a poop that was very good looking. Snake Discovery says he has no parasites but I will verify with my vet

Ok pics!

Attachments

• PXL_20220808_004446262.jpg
    PXL_20220808_004446262.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 153
  • PXL_20220808_221200009.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220808_221200009.MP.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20220808_221331665.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220808_221331665.MP.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20220808_221901033.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220808_221901033.NIGHT.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20220808_221911260.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220808_221911260.NIGHT.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20220808_230856427.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220808_230856427.NIGHT.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20220808_222939003.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220808_222939003.MP.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 95

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I was reading another thread from you and you mentioned him. It took a little digging but i found this. He is adorable, and looks very happy to be getting love. You rock for picking him, i wish you both long and happy adventures!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
There will be Quetzal updates. I need more time to figure out if he needs a beardie wheelchair thing or if better nutrition and therapy can help him use his legs.

We did a bath and he could pseudo-walk in the bath. So I have a little hope he can be in better shape. It's okay if he stays a scooter of course

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
We have a rehad that was paralyzed when she was surrendered, she can now walk again after getting her into a proper setup. I hope your beardie recovers also.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree he looks pretty good ! Hind limb paralysis can be from an accident or at times from lack of proper uvb + calcium during the growing stage. His ears look fine, there's no shedding problem anywhere on him because adults shed in stages and it can take a long time for areas on the head, legs, tail. Perfectly normal and no problem at all. He looks like he's a character and like he's already at home with you even though he's sporting a little sassy beard. :)

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I agree he looks pretty good ! Hind limb paralysis can be from an accident or at times from lack of proper uvb + calcium during the growing stage. His ears look fine, there's no shedding problem anywhere on him because adults shed in stages and it can take a long time for areas on the head, legs, tail. Perfectly normal and no problem at all. He looks like he's a character and like he's already at home with you even though he's sporting a little sassy beard. :)
The shedding is not easy to picture. He spent about 3 months at Snake Discovery. He was underweight when received. The neglect seemed more recent because his bone structure, except for lower back, is all very decent.

Between the scale it looks like cheese. Kinda? He also keeps shedding. He will shed a part of his head, looks clear, then starts shedding again. Like he is catching up on the past year or even two of not shedding enough. I used toothpaste and a toothbrush to rub away the cheese stuff as best I could. This guy is shedding like a juvenile just all the time

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics of what you mean ? I'm not aware of anyone using toothpaste on them, did you read that somewhere ? Frequent shedding is not a problem, these are all things that can happen in a wide variety of ways with our dragons.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I thought the slight abrasion from the toothpaste would clear up the "cheese" stuff. I made it up with no input from anything. It was a plain natural toothpaste without flouride or other additives.

It was very weird stuff between the scales. Several soaks with Hibiclens or betadine was not touching the "cheese". The toothpaste removed most of the "cheese".

I can try to take a picture this weekend. Plus Quetzal gets to go to Vet next week so we can get a better evaluation of everything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I thought the slight abrasion from the toothpaste would clear up the "cheese" stuff. I made it up with no input from anything. It was a plain natural toothpaste without flouride or other additives.

It was very weird stuff between the scales. Several soaks with Hibiclens or betadine was not touching the "cheese". The toothpaste removed most of the "cheese".

I can try to take a picture this weekend. Plus Quetzal gets to go to Vet next week so we can get a better evaluation of everything.
Please no enemas take a fecal w/ you - they often end in disaster - they would would want a 24 hr sample

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Please feel free always post pics here with something that looks suspicious, it's often something that other owners recognize as normal and if not we can tell you.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Please no enemas take a fecal w/ you - they often end in disaster - they would would want a 24 hr sample
I sent in a fecal to test for parasites already. No parasites!

I want to get X-rays so we have a better idea on what is going on with his spine. I also want to discuss low laser light therapy (near infrared light therapy) for the possibility to improve his condition with the lameness of his hind limbs and tail. Since he can move the legs, but hsi legs are deconditioned from lack of proper use. The tail is part of the spine damage, the base is rigid but he can and does control the the last half of his tail

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Got X-rays today Basically the news expected. I put up Devlyn's X-rays for a comparison. Quetzal functionallly has a fused spine. With bony prominences connecting the vertebrae together this preventing normal range of motion. This could also be compressing the nerves in the nerve and that making the tail and legs weak from lack of use from lack of adequate nerve signals

At least his spine fused in a relatively straight form. The hips and legs look intact according to the vet which is good. With therapy he may improve with strength and mobility. I learned more about the low level laser light. They do sessions at the clinic about 30 minutes once a week. You can pay $70 for a session or a group of 6 sessions for $330 I believe.

Now call me crazy but for that price I'd consider getting a light myself and we do the therapy at home once a week. Maybe we'll do one session so I can see what they do, but I have the internet. I need to ask them what the model machine is they use. I have trouble thinking of these questions on the spot

Still working on a wheelchair. He resists having anything on him so it's going to be a compromise for what works and what will he tolerate, lol

Attachments

• 1.2.392.200036.9125.9.0.4028804676.550224.468965315~2.jpeg
    1.2.392.200036.9125.9.0.4028804676.550224.468965315~2.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1.2.392.200036.9125.9.0.4028810053.17327440.468965315~2.jpeg
    1.2.392.200036.9125.9.0.4028810053.17327440.468965315~2.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 70
  • devlyn1~2.jpg
    devlyn1~2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 79

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Man that sux, but hopefully you can get him mobile again. I hope that the therapy will work.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Shedding news. The cheese is gone. Went through some big sheds. It seems like built up skin/scales that looked weird. The scales underneath do not have the weird texture

Also, finally got his bloodwork back. My favorite vet left the clinic to become a veterinary optometrist. She was a resident vet, but dang she was super. Quetzal saw a different first year vet (graduated as a vet) so maybe she was slower to get back to me than the other vet. It is hard to go from superstar prodigy vet to good exotic vet. New vet is good but I miss the prodigy herself.

TestResultRef. RangeUnits
WBC Estimate5.72.8-14.61000/uL
HCT3023-39%
RBC MorphologyNormaln/an/a
Blood ParasitesNone seenn/an/a
Toxic ChangesNone seenn/an/a
Heterophils2,736 (48%)1,146-6,238/μL
Bands0n/a/μL
Lymphocytes1,938 (34%)363-8,171/μL
Monocytes0 (low)10-1,078/μL
Eosinophils0 (low)3-364/μL
Basophils0 (low)13-820/μL
Azurophilic Monocytes1,026 (18%)5-1,540/μL
Thrombocyte estimatesAdequaten/an/a

Not worried about the low monocytes, eosinophils, or basophils.
Lymphocytes and azurophilic monocytes are likely at their percentages due to the chronic condition of his spine, from likely chronic inflammation of the compressed nerve tissues.

Test Result Ref. RangeUnits
Total Protein3.53.3-7.3g/dL
Albumin2.11.5-3.7g/dL
Globulin1.41.3-3.9g/dL
SGOT (AST)223-75IU/L
BUN21-4mg/dL
Phosphorus2.82.3-9.4mg/dL
Glucose205129-293mg/dL
Calcium10.56.8-22.7mg/dL
Ca : P ratio3.75:11.5:1 to 2:1n/a
Sodium152143-173mEq/L
Potassium4.32.6-6.1mEq/L
Chloride117103-145mEq/L
CPK47617-3,421IU/L
Uric Acid8.8 (high)1.2-8.4mg/dL

Ca : P ratio 3.75:1 I am happy with. I am not overly concerned with the Uric Acid being high. Quetzal was underweight when he came into rehab/rescue. This may be a pseudo-gout due to having insects every day during recovery to put on weight. He had an x-ray and the report did not have any evidence of kidney damage or other visceral gout.

X-ray Report: “Spine: Ankylosing spondylosis is present in the mid-body and lumbosacral vertebrae. Several disk spaces appear to be narrowed and misshapen. Bone density is normal to increased. The cranial vertebrae and caudal tail vertebrae appear to be normal. Fractures are not identified.
Extremities: Unremarkable.
Impressions: I suspect this beardie has had metabolic bone disease or spondylitis that has resulted in gradually collapsing degenerative disks, compression fractures, nerve root stenosis, and spinal cord compression. Some recovery may be possible with a gentle range of motion/massage type of physical therapy, pain medications, NSAIDs or corticosteroids, and confinement/rest. I'm unsure if glucosamine chondroitin would help in this case.
Dr. PAW“

So he needs help with chronic inflammation and to prevent spine from worsening. Therapy maybe can improve all this.

( I am crazy if you can't tell ;) )

I could add crushed tart cherry tablets (or use drops), with glucosamine chondroitin, spirulina from blue/green algae, and bee pollen onto foods once a week. I know how to crush and administer pills via food, I have the experience. May need to switch to a multivitamin powder without vitamin A for general use - I have an idea spirulina would be a good supplement for Quetzal, providing protein with other nutrients so I can decrease his insects to help lower uric acid.

Took awhile, but I think I finally have good starting info for a very special needs dragon who needs some special care.

:giggle: (last post I'll put here, end of intro)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
From reading the docs comments it looks like he might actually have a chance to recover to some degree, that is FANTASTIC news!!!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom