new puppy & a beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Hello my fellow beardie slaves !!

So I recently got a new pug puppy, 3 months old ! It's been my life long dream to own a dog lol, but my parents have never let me so now that I'm a grown up lol.. I feel that I'm ready ! lol. So anyway long story short, I've only had him for about a week and he is a bundle of joy !! My only thing is, he gets very hyper and follows my every step. My question is, for those of you who own dogs, do you introduce them to your beardie ? If so, is this ever safe ? did you wait for a while until the puppy calms down ? My biggest thing is what if he gets too hyper and bites MJ or Prince ???? Any questions & advise would be greatly appreciated !!!

studmule

I think every situation is unique. My Welsh Terrier will kill my beardie if she gets the chance, but at my sister's house, Reggie will lay on top of one of her labs and fall asleep, and the lab loves it. There's no harm in introducing them, as long as it's closely supervised.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
studmule":8jxq0w6j said:
I think every situation is unique. My Welsh Terrier will kill my beardie if she gets the chance, but at my sister's house, Reggie will lay on top of one of her labs and fall asleep, and the lab loves it. There's no harm in introducing them, as long as it's closely supervised.

oh ok thanks =) . Yeah right now, he chews on everything, bites everything, scratches, etc. So I'm scared that If i took one of my beardie out to show him, he might go crazy and attack !! I just miss spending time with my beardies like I used to =( . I used to come home from work, take them out of hteir tanks and let them roam around the house and give them all my attention. Now I cant even do that anymore and it breaks my heart having to split my time :cry: ! So what do you do with Reggie & chance ? theyre never out together ?

studmule

When I go to work, I actually gate off half of the house, so Annie can't even get close to Reggie's tank. I can get Reggie out when I'm home, and as long as I'm right there, Annie will stare intently but won't mess with her.

JagersMom

Hatchling Member
My dog and beardies get along just fine. They're always monitored closely, and I'm right there, but Jethro (the dog) will let the dragons crawl on him and run around, and he doesn't even care. Just make sure to always be right there, because anything can happen, and it can happen quickly.

TwistedCrayon

Sub-Adult Member
Two of my boys chase our corgi around the house. Since corgis are herding dogs he herds the dragons outta trouble and will alert us to a few potential great escapes....

grim could not stand our other dog who as of last weekend is no longer with us. He was a bichon/coton mix and when ever grim heard his tags he'd go ape s**t and charge him mouth gapping, head bobbing... the whole nine yards. The poor dog never stood a chance ... Lol

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
I just got myself an English Bulldog puppy. He is the best! I put all my beardies on the floor and then let him come and sniff around for a bit. He did awesome. He was so gentle. I wanted to let him get a feel for them while he is a puppy and not 90 pounds. :mrgreen:

I posted a few pics a few days ago..here they are again incase you missed it :p

0157430a.jpg

e8af89c6.jpg

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thanks guys for all of the advices! I haven't even tried 'introducing' my puppy and the beardies.. because I'm too afraid :oops: . It's like one mintue, he'll be fine, then the next, he'll just strike at me and chew on a sandal or something lol. I'm doing TONS of research on how to get your pup not to chew on things but I'm still too afraid. He's only 3 months... and not that big... but Im scared if I put MJ or Gonzo in front of him... he'll bite them! Even if supervised ! What's a good way to do it??? HELP ! I'm really starting to feel like I"m stuck in the middle.. as if I'm neglecting my babies because of this puppy !!!! I'm DESPERATE of gettng them to know each other !

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Young puppies can be a little chewy at times, I know our dog (she's now six months) was such an anoying active ball of fluff, she used to chew up everything!!! I was sure she'd get his tail if she was introduced at that age so we waited until now to show her, since she's now a little less silly, and now she's fine with him. Maybe three months is a little early to be making introductions, give the puppy a chance to settle down, it may be better to wait until he's a bit older and doesn't chew so much :D there's still plenty of time.
Here's a pic of pepper with our grown uppish puppy -

IMG_0582.jpg

Good luck!

Just make sure to always be right there, because anything can happen, and it can happen quickly.

I would say this as well. Having a zoo of my own and working with just about 800+ monkeys, things happen fast.

We have a 2yr old Pug. He's a hunter. He's brought us mice, moles, lizards & snakes from the back yard. My 7yr old Pom doesn't like our dragon and so Boga doesn't get near me when the Pom is out, I belong to the pom. *lol*

Just keep an eye out, accidents will happen.

SugaReina

I have a pug too, and he LOVES my beardie!!! I was nervous about introducing them at first too - but I waited for my beardie to get a little bigger. I would wait until your puppy is a little older, and have him sit in your lap to look at the beardie through the glass to get an idea of how they will react to eachother. Also, when you do finally let them sniff each other out, I would suggest you hold the beardie in case your pug decides to try to play with him.
My pug always follows my beardie around, and my beardie licks his nose when he gets close enough. I have seen my beardie puff up at my dog, and he runs like mad and never looks back! LOL - so don't worry, they know how to intimidate! Good luck!!!

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hi guys !!

Thanks again for all the advises ! So this weekend, I had my hubby hold the pug, and I had MJ in my hand. He sniffed at her then started to go crazy as if he didn't wanna be held anymore. So that was it, play time was over. THat made me even more nervous though :cry: because I started thinking what would have happened if Nicky (puppy) wasn't restrained ? MJ didn't do anything, she just stared at him lol. I'm gonna take all of your advises and wait until Nicky is at least 6 months old before another introduction. I just wish all of us can just sit together and watch tv lol... not divided times with each other :cry:

Ichimaru, our 2yr old pug, would do just that as a younger pug when he wasn't sure of something that was close to him and he was in a lap. Or he does the "Pug Boxing" when he liked sumthing. :mrgreen:

Give it another try a few days later. I'd also recommend makin sure the pug knows "no" and will stop at "no". :D Pug owners I think will agree...pugs are stubborn lil ones. :twisted: :mrgreen: We're still trainin Ichi on a few things. He knows them, just gives us the look of.."uuummmm.....okay..when I wanna". :mrgreen:

You can get to a time where everyone will be out at the same time, just takes some longer than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom