New Parents of a Beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
We have just recently fell in love with a bearded dragon and purchased him. We have become a member of this website to hopefully help us fully understand how to take care of him/her properly. Are there any secrets or tricks we should be aware of? He is 6 inches long tip to tip. So we are guessing around six weeks. One question i do have is when we turn the daytime lights off and turn on the night light, what is the correct temperature for while he/she is sleeping. Also are there any tricks to figure out the sex? Is there a name for his color... sorry for so many questions! lol We have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance from Camo and friends!

Camo.jpg

thebenior

Hatchling Member
Welcome!

You just want night time temperatures above 65F.

As for day/night cycle trigger times, I'd set them at what's convenient for you with a few things in mind. 12-14 hours of light (more for babies, IIRC), and if there's a lot of light coming in through windows early in the morning, there's no sense not delaying the day lamps since the dragon will be waking up anyway. My place doesn't have much sun exposure and I have wood blinds that block out light pretty well, so I don't have that issue.

I also recommend setting the lights with a timer power strip for convenience and consistency. There's no need for a reptile specific timer, a regular timer power strip from a hardware store will work just as well. I have a Zilla dual analog timer power strip for my bearded dragon and a GE digital timer power strip that I got from Home Depot for a red eared slider. The Zilla timer cost 50% more, but is more intuitive to set. I think the GE digital timer keeps better time, however.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome! Blood bank dragons has a good video on sexing dragons on you tube however, its hard to be for sure with little ones.

CamoANDfriends

Original Poster
From left to right is Harliquin Female "Star", Black Male "Major", Harliquin Female "Storm" They are the prides of my life!!!
DANES.jpg

CamoANDfriends

Original Poster
i really have nothing against those that do. We just don't see the need in it. They are wonderful creatures and so smart! Whether the ears are up or down doesn't change a thing except how they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom