New owner

Beardie name(s)
Norbert
Hello all. New dragon owner here. We bought Norbert from a local family who didn’t have time for him anymore. Kids got bored so they sold the whole package.

He’s 2 years and 3 months old. Bought from a local breeder with a birth certificate. He’s in a 120 gallon terrarium from Zen Habitats. Came with some extra UVB bulbs and a couple basking bulbs that go in reflector housings. UV are the coil type. We may switch them out for a long tube style eventually. Currently has reptile carpet in it but it is a little smelly even though we cleaned it a lot. Looking at switching to tile this weekend.

We are new to bearded dragons. Kids have wanted one for a while so we finally caved. We have 3 dogs, a cat, 2 fish and 9 chickens right now. Looking at maybe adding a couple goats in the spring.

He’s super friendly and will sit on my lap while I watch TV or work at my desk. Looking forward to many years with him. Still reading a lot about caring for them! CA2C212F-0C09-4E12-B38B-EB29365BC3B4.jpeg

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
Don't wait to switch the coil uv out, they are not adequate for beardies and must be replaced with a t5 reptisun 10.0 or t5 Arcadia 12% or 14%. This is not something I would delay. What are the temps like? Cool side, warm side and basking? She seems a bit underweight from the pic. Hips and base of tail look a bit sunken in. I'd definitely get it a vet check asap as well.

Last edited:

SC Beardie Dad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Norbert
75-80 cool side, 90 hot side and basking is 100-105 depending where on his rock he lays. That’s checked with a ThermoPen placed in each area. Also used a laser infrared I use in my shop (Klein Tools).

I was worried about the coil bulb but he’s almost 2-1/2 years old and has only ever had that style since he was a baby. I planned on swapping it out soon. Need to get some tile in soon, reptile carpet looks clean but is smelly.

Prior owner said he was sort of neglected the last few months. Her kid ignored him which is why the parents sold him. He’s been eating and playing like crazy since we got him home. I’ll get him to a vet soon.

She didn’t know much about him and mainly fed him only iceberg and romaine with some crickets and calcium powder now and then. We have him eating crickets and dubia for protein and a lot more veggies. Kale, cilantro, collards, some squash, etc. we sprinkle calcium on his salads.

Can he eat mealworms? I see mixed info. We have them for our chickens so plenty to go around.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree, i wish they would stop selling the coils. Their care is not hard but it is extremely specific. They start developing problems from inadequate uvb within a few days and improper basking within a few weeks. The lightning is the most critical part of their setup and care. They develope some very severe condition without it. But unlike other animals it takes them a LONG time to die from it so they can suffer a long time. Google metabolic bone disease to see what can happen.

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
Yes they can eat mealworms and super worms just fine. You seem to he ontop of the diet which is great. I'm sure she's loving it. Iceberg is garbage food, it's like giving ducks bread. It's filling but has no real nutrients. Does she have any twitching or shaking? Any wabble when she walks?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
75-80 cool side, 90 hot side and basking is 100-105 depending where on his rock he lays. That’s checked with a ThermoPen placed in each area. Also used a laser infrared I use in my shop (Klein Tools).

I was worried about the coil bulb but he’s almost 2-1/2 years old and has only ever had that style since he was a baby. I planned on swapping it out soon. Need to get some tile in soon, reptile carpet looks clean but is smelly.

Prior owner said he was sort of neglected the last few months. Her kid ignored him which is why the parents sold him. He’s been eating and playing like crazy since we got him home. I’ll get him to a vet soon.

She didn’t know much about him and mainly fed him only iceberg and romaine with some crickets and calcium powder now and then. We have him eating crickets and dubia for protein and a lot more veggies. Kale, cilantro, collards, some squash, etc. we sprinkle calcium on his salads.

Can he eat mealworms? I see mixed info. We have them for our chickens so plenty to go around.
He can eat mealworms but superworms are better. (Easier to digest). The reptile carpet is bad too, the tile is a much better idea, its impossible to deep clean the carpet and it runs the risk of a cocidia infection. when you pick your tile if you can find something textured it is easier for them to walk plus it helps keep their nails trimmed.
OHH congratzz on your beardie!!!!

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
He can eat mealworms but superworms are better. (Easier to digest). The reptile carpet is bad too, the tile is a much better idea, its impossible to deep clean the carpet and it runs the risk of a cocidia infection. when you pick your tile if you can find something textured it is easier for them to walk plus it helps keep their nails trimmed.
OHH congratzz on your beardie!!!!
No true bud, I don't know why people think you can't sanitize reptile carpet. There are several beardie safe antiseptic cleaners that you can soak the repticarpet in over night, rinse it and let it dry. If you keep ontop of it like you should aka daily spot cleaning and weekly disinfecting then repticarpet is perfectly safe. Obviously not as easy to disinfect as tile but it's still not hard to do. You could even do a 70% isopropyl alcohol soak but that will deteriorate the carpet over time. Honestly any sub can be nasty with bacteria even tile. If people arnt removing the tile and cleaning under them and between them then that's just as bad as not sanitizing repticarpet regularly.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I can't say your wrong, but I don't think alot of people are that dedicated.(not saying you aren't). And your right tile has to be deep cleaned also but it IS much better to slot clean.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As mentioned in previous post please replace the uvb as soon as you can - please do not get a 14% bulb as mentioned above unless your tank is 24" tall- that is a requirement for that bulb - if you need links to fixtures I can help- when you get the uvb please post back on here I will help you get it set up correctly for your tank - your screen will determine where it goes- also your dragon is developing mbd- as we speak

SC Beardie Dad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Norbert
As mentioned in previous post please replace the uvb as soon as you can - please do not get a 14% bulb as mentioned above unless your tank is 24" tall- that is a requirement for that bulb - if you need links to fixtures I can help- when you get the uvb please post back on here I will help you get it set up correctly for your tank - your screen will determine where it goes- also your dragon is developing mbd- as we speak

That’s my exact terrarium.

If I can get a light at Amazon or locally at Petsmart or Petco that’s a huge deal. I have tons of Amazon gift cards.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

That’s my exact terrarium.

If I can get a light at Amazon or locally at Petsmart or Petco that’s a huge deal. I have tons of Amazon gift cards.
The 14% will work it would need to be strapped to the top of inside screen w/ a distance of 17-18 inches directly above your basking decor- I use the stainless bars on the screen for my uvb

SC Beardie Dad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Norbert
The 14% will work it would need to be strapped to the top of inside screen w/ a distance of 17-18 inches directly above your basking decor- I use the stainless bars on the screen for my uvb
What wattage? I see several T5 10.0 Reptisun options online and locally. From 8 watts up to 64 watts. I can’t see a percentage anywhere

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What wattage? I see several T5 10.0 Reptisun options online and locally. From 8 watts up to 64 watts. I can’t see a percentage anywhere
24 watt - this is for a 24" Zoo Med and its a 24 watt for a Arcadia 12% bulb here are some links
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood this one is sold at Pet Smart

Peach

Hatchling Member
Hi and welcome! I am in SC too :) If you're lower state/lowcountry, keep an eye on the humidity. If it gets too high, it can cause respiratory issues.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi and welcome! I am in SC too :) If you're lower state/lowcountry, keep an eye on the humidity. If it gets too high, it can cause respiratory issues.
Or too low --- commonly too low -- you dont want it below 20% or above 70% and optimal is 40-50% -- taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom