New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
Just thought i would come on and say hello!

Just picked up my first bearded dragon today, So happy with him/her :D

I will try and get some pics up and show my baby off!

Im having a couple of problems tho with the lighting and heating. Been looking around the net for ages now about it but no where gives a definate time scale. As in how long you leave them on for? do you turn the lights and heat lamps off at night? Also when i got the enclosure it came with a heat wave rock, is that ok to use as the basking spot?

Just noticed as well he is starting to shed on his front legs, is there anything i need to do to help (like bath him) him shed?

Sorry for all the questions but just wanted to clear a few things up :) and if anyone has any tips for a new owner they would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the many years of happiness he will bring :D :D :D :D :D :D

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
hello and welcome to the fourms the questions are no big deal thats why we are here
as for how long the lights should be on anywere from 10-14 hours i do 13 hours from 6am-7pm
yes turn of all heating elements at night if ur house gets below 65 degrees at night u might want to get a che (ceramic heat emitter)
as for the heat rock dont use that because beardies cant feel heat from underneith and that could possible over heat ur dragon and kill him
and yea if there shedding u can give a bath to help aid with the sheding
temps for a baby beardie should be around 105 at the basking spot
what kinda of lights are u using name brands please?

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
beardieaddict":1169f said:
hello and welcome to the fourms the questions are no big deal thats why we are here
as for how long the lights should be on anywere from 10-14 hours i do 13 hours from 6am-7pm
yes turn of all heating elements at night if ur house gets below 65 degrees at night u might want to get a che (ceramic heat emitter)
as for the heat rock dont use that because beardies cant feel heat from underneith and that could possible over heat ur dragon and kill him
and yea if there shedding u can give a bath to help aid with the sheding
temps for a baby beardie should be around 105 at the basking spot
what kinda of lights are u using name brands please?

ohhhh not good i will take the rock out striaght away! but i will need another rock to go in? just get another one from the pet shop?

the brands of lamps may be different as i live in the UK (not sure if this is an american site).

i have 1 150W UVA in a porcelain lamp - brand is exo terra sun glo basking lamp

2 x 26w repti glo UVB and
2 x 25w sun glo UVA

these stretch the whole way along the vivarium. So i should have all these lights on for about 10 - 14 hours? then everything turned off during the night?

what is the best temperature in the basking area and in the cold area? max and min?

Thanks for all your help, want him to be as happy as possible :D

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
Since you have a new beardie, you want the basking temps around 100-105*F and when they get older, you may move it to 110. As for the cool side, 75-80 does the trick.

Congrats on your new fellah!

You can get a heating pad to put under the tank for night time.

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Might be a stupid question but how do you accurately alter the temperatures? Surely the lamp is either on or off?? :oops:

Heres pics of my baby (hope it works)

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
You check the temps where the beardie will be. You can either adjust the light to be further away or closer. If that can't happen, then lower the wattage.

Secondly, get rid of the water bowl. Beardies usually don't drink out of it and all it will do is raise the humidity levels in the viv. They get their water from the food they eat and their baths.

Last, that bedding is not good for beardies. You can use paper towels, reptile carpet, tile or newspaper. NEVER sand.

Hope this helps.

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry all i went by in the petshop was what the bloke said, he seemed to know alot. Its not sand by the way its chipsi mais, he was saying dont use sand either but apparently this substrate is fine for them, ill have to look into it :p.

Ill get rid of the water bowl then, new to all this so thanks for your advice. :)

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
I know it isn't sand, but they are small rocks. He may eat them and you don't want that stuck in his tummy.

Carpet is less expensive than beardie surgery.

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
ok u can use the basking rock just dont plug it in .. and then when u have time u can replace the rock
as for sunglow there have been studies that they cause eye problems if i was u i would change to reptisun 10.0 as soon as possible and u only need 1 bulb not 2
u should only have one basking bulb but i guess that part dosent really matter u just need to have the temp at 105
as for the heating pad like the above poster said .....i highly recommend not using that because like i said they dont feel heat from below and that could burn ur beardie and possibly kill them
as for substrate i use for my babys non adhiesive shelf liner and then when they get older i use slate tile but u can use slate tile when there babys to dosent matter i only like shelf liner for the babys because they make a huge mess every day and i like to clean the tank every day to its just easier thats all
also i dont know what the pet store told you but babys can eat any were from 30-100 crix a day and dont feed mealworms

any questions just ask me ill help you with anything or ask everyone also you can pm me and ill help you that way too

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
There has to be a heat source for night time. I use the heating pat, put it under the tank and it is layered by carpet. It is not very warm. Just a warm place to sleep. It goes off in the morning and I have timers set for the lights and the heating pad.

I was a vet's assistant for 4 years. I never messed much with beardies in my time, but I have had leopard geckos and met a lot of snakes in my time. As long as it doesn't come in direct contact and is properly insulated, it will be fine.

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wish i came on here first! get alot more sense out of ACTUAL owners :p
ill leave the heat rock off now but will i need to get a heat mat or anything? or will the basking lamp be sufficient?

when you say slate tiles do you mean the stick on tiles or proper slate tiles? im guessing you use slate tiles to wear down their nails?

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
During the day, the basking light is all you need. At night, I suggest the pad under the tank. You can even put a wash cloth over that. That way you have a lot of layers to keep your beardie from getting burned.

I don't know much about tile. I only use the carpet.

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
chelly bean stop staying he/she needs a heating mat its unnessary and it could possible hurt there beardie they do not need heat from under neither at ALL the basking light is all they need ... they need to cool down at night ask anyone one here besides chelly bean because obviously they dont know what there talking about like i said before if they get below 65 degrees at night u need to get a che and u only make it so they get only to 70 and thats it they have to cool down at night .... usually a house stays about 75 at night so u will probally be fine i only use basking bulbs duing the day nothing else at night any questions just ask me

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
Listen, this is a thread where we are welcome to give ADVICE. If it weren't almost December, I wouldn't suggest it. He asked for advice and I am giving him mine. We don't need to agree. It's his bearded dragon and he will do what he wants with it.

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
Listen well with that said why wouldnt you give him the best advice possible instead of a "heating pad" which if u have done any reserch you would know thats not good for bearded dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom