new owner - relocation stress??

khaleesiiiDee

Beardie name(s)
Feather
hello! I am a new beardie owner. we adopted a female adult, unsure of age estimated 3-4. she was purchased on Friday and was very active. Saturday much less active and now for the last 15 hours she's been sitting on the cool side in the corner and her tail and beard have darkened. she did eat salad Friday & Saturday and a few super worms Saturday also. pooed Friday but not since. I'm concerned about her. is she having relocation stress? what can I do to help her be comfortable?

Attachments

• 20221009_080942.jpg
    20221009_080942.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 20221009_081221.jpg
    20221009_081221.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 74

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
hello! I am a new beardie owner. we adopted a female adult, unsure of age estimated 3-4. she was purchased on Friday and was very active. Saturday much less active and now for the last 15 hours she's been sitting on the cool side in the corner and her tail and beard have darkened. she did eat salad Friday & Saturday and a few super worms Saturday also. pooed Friday but not since. I'm concerned about her. is she having relocation stress? what can I do to help her be comfortable?
Welcome to beardie world--- how are you getting surface basking temps? I dont see any kind of gauges in the tank --- first and foremost the temps in the tank which should be 3 surface basking 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer middle of the tank 90's ambient and cool side 80's -- next the UVB NO coils please it needs to be a long tube fixture we can help w/ that -- please post a pic of the whole tank -- what size is it? her tail to me is concerning not sure if that is shed going on there or some sort of fungus -- I need to have some one else take a look --- to me it looks suspicious but I could be off too -- and yes she is probably going thru relocation stress but we need to get everything I mentioned above corrected so she can start acclimating to her tank and new surroundings
@AHBD

khaleesiiiDee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Feather
Welcome to beardie world--- how are you getting surface basking temps? I dont see any kind of gauges in the tank --- first and foremost the temps in the tank which should be 3 surface basking 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer middle of the tank 90's ambient and cool side 80's -- next the UVB NO coils please it needs to be a long tube fixture we can help w/ that -- please post a pic of the whole tank -- what size is it? her tail to me is concerning not sure if that is shed going on there or some sort of fungus -- I need to have some one else take a look --- to me it looks suspicious but I could be off too -- and yes she is probably going thru relocation stress but we need to get everything I mentioned above corrected so she can start acclimating to her tank and new surroundings
@AHBD
I have 3 digital probe thermometers but not sure they're set up right. I also have an IR scanning one. 40 gallon tank 36" x 18" x 18". the cool side where she currently is is reading 75.0 warm side 86.2 and the basking is 102-110. I have a 23W desert 10% UVB bulb in an 8.5" dome lamp, it's on the top of the tank. 100W arcadia basking bulb and I also have a mat underneath bc it gets pretty cold at night and that's where it's reading 110. I also have a cat but she doesn't seem to be very interested in Feather (beardie) but Feather definitely watches her.

Attachments

• 16653266797495328721352925315878.jpg
    16653266797495328721352925315878.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 16653268199407261527704418704837.jpg
    16653268199407261527704418704837.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 70

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have 3 digital probe thermometers but not sure they're set up right. I also have an IR scanning one. 40 gallon tank 36" x 18" x 18". the cool side where she currently is is reading 75.0 warm side 86.2 and the basking is 102-110. I have a 23W desert 10% UVB bulb in an 8.5" dome lamp, it's on the top of the tank. 100W arcadia basking bulb and I also have a mat underneath bc it gets pretty cold at night and that's where it's reading 110. I also have a cat but she doesn't seem to be very interested in Feather (beardie) but Feather definitely watches her.
Ok so I would change out the coil UVB your using -- they arent very good - for your 40 gallon tank you can get one of the two I am going to post --- these are way better UVB's -- the coil sitting on the screen is not doing much good - the screen blocks 30% of the rays and coils are terrible UVB's any way they cause too many health issues --
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement is going to be different from the bulb you need for your tank 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
when you get it please let me know I can help you place this and get it distanced correctly
the other one is this one found at Pet Smart or they are/were carrying them
24" Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart you want the 12% bulb
the probe thermometers can be placed on the side of the tank - take one of them and place on the spot where she basks leave for 10 min or so you want those surface basking temps 95-100 --- then you can place it back on the side of the tank -- I would spot check that every 10 days or so - as of now if they are in the tank they are giving you ambient temps - I would please get rid of the mat and get a ceramic heat emitter -- dragons heat from the back not stomachs -- the heat emitter can sit on top of your screen middle of the tank - you want ambient temps in the tank at night 65-75 --- it will heat your whole tank in the middle - dragons like cool and dark to sleep it metabolizes their system -- Feather is watching her as cats are predators and she the cat may be stressing her out -- does Feather have stress marks on her? they could be from the cat and relocation stress --

khaleesiiiDee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Feather
Ok so I would change out the coil UVB your using -- they arent very good - for your 40 gallon tank you can get one of the two I am going to post --- these are way better UVB's -- the coil sitting on the screen is not doing much good - the screen blocks 30% of the rays and coils are terrible UVB's any way they cause too many health issues --
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement is going to be different from the bulb you need for your tank 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
when you get it please let me know I can help you place this and get it distanced correctly
the other one is this one found at Pet Smart or they are/were carrying them
24" Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart you want the 12% bulb
the probe thermometers can be placed on the side of the tank - take one of them and place on the spot where she basks leave for 10 min or so you want those surface basking temps 95-100 --- then you can place it back on the side of the tank -- I would spot check that every 10 days or so - as of now if they are in the tank they are giving you ambient temps - I would please get rid of the mat and get a ceramic heat emitter -- dragons heat from the back not stomachs -- the heat emitter can sit on top of your screen middle of the tank - you want ambient temps in the tank at night 65-75 --- it will heat your whole tank in the middle - dragons like cool and dark to sleep it metabolizes their system -- Feather is watching her as cats are predators and she the cat may be stressing her out -- does Feather have stress marks on her? they could be from the cat and relocation stress --
okay thank you! I've been questioning some things but the pet stores don't seem to be much help. I will probably go get those things today as long as they're in stock so I can make the changes right away. also is it ok that she's on floor level, would it be better to get a stand?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
okay thank you! I've been questioning some things but the pet stores don't seem to be much help. I will probably go get those things today as long as they're in stock so I can make the changes right away. also is it ok that she's on floor level, would it be better to get a stand?
The tank is on the floor? If so I would invest in a stand/ dresser w/ drawers to keep her stuff in extra bulbs etc - I found a used dresser w/ drawers for $40 at a second hand furniture store - the dresser works great - measure the length of the tank and go from there -- please do not listen to the pet store people -- they often give bad advice and end up hurting the dragon -- most do not have a clue as how to take care of a dragon --

khaleesiiiDee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Feather
okay I've got the Arcadia proT5 UVB kit. also I picked up 60W ceramic heat emitter, I kind of just assumed I could put it into the extra dome lamp I'll have but now I see it says not to. Feather did move to the warm side & ate her salad. still lethargic laying flat with head up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
okay I've got the Arcadia proT5 UVB kit. also I picked up 60W ceramic heat emitter, I kind of just assumed I could put it into the extra dome lamp I'll have but now I see it says not to. Feather did move to the warm side & ate her salad. still lethargic laying flat with head up.
Ok you got correct surface basking temps--? Your proT 5 can sit on top of your screen w/ a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 8-10 inches- watch her behavior after you get this set up- the 12% bulb needs to be changed out in approx 10-11 months - the che can go into the dome as long as it has a ceramic socket and the dome is wattage approved -

khaleesiiiDee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Feather
perfect I set up the proT5 exactly 10in from basking spot which is reading 104.7 currently. I turn the lights out at 7:30-8 so not gonna be able to tell much tonight. & with that being said I can use my dome lamp for the CHE. I've turned the mat off. I'm concerned that the day temps may be off without the mat heat though but if I increase the bulb wattage then the basking spot will be too high.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
perfect I set up the proT5 exactly 10in from basking spot which is reading 104.7 currently. I turn the lights out at 7:30-8 so not gonna be able to tell much tonight. & with that being said I can use my dome lamp for the CHE. I've turned the mat off. I'm concerned that the day temps may be off without the mat heat though but if I increase the bulb wattage then the basking spot will be too high.
Get a temp after the basking light is on for awhile in the morning- the basking surface temp is what you need - ambient temps should be in the 90's in that area- you want 95-100 for an adult dragon you can always use the che to raise ambient temps but your looking to get the surface basking temp correct

khaleesiiiDee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Feather
Get a temp after the basking light is on for awhile in the morning- the basking surface temp is what you need - ambient temps should be in the 90's in that area- you want 95-100 for an adult dragon you can always use the che to raise ambient temps but your looking to get the surface basking temp correct
just wanted to let you know I've got all the temps looking good and consistent now. Feather seems much happier, she's been moving around and basking more. also just had her at the vet and they said she looks good and is healthy about to go into a shed. thank you so much for the help!!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom