New owner - poop concern

Beardie name(s)
Norbert
Hello - we adopted a 2 year old male dragon a few weeks ago. His poop has always been pretty consistent but now I am concerned about a couple of things after reading on here and other reptile sites.

First - It has until today always been brown "logs" surrounded by a fair amount of liquid. I always assumed the liquid was pee but I keep reading it should be solid or pasty for urine. It's been the sticky liquid since day one of bringing him home.

Two - today he had a much different poo. Has the normal brown but also has an additional white with red tint poo to go with it. Same with the sticky liquid. See photo.

Diet since it will be asked - mustard greens or collard greens, maybe some kale daily. Also give yellow squash almost daily. Two to three times a week we also give a little fruit. Blueberries or small pieces of watermelon since both are still in season (we happen to be growing a lot of his diet). He loves blueberries! Usually give him 5 at a time.

Insects - Dubia roaches and superworms. Those are given every other day. Roaches he gets 3 or 4 depending on size or the worms up to 5 depending on size. He dust his insects in calcium powder since he doesnt like it on his daily salads. He does NOT get both insects, it is just one or the other and we alternate. It looks like part of a worm in the lower part of the photo. He had worms two days ago.

Water - he does not have a water bowl. We have high humidity during the summer so try and limit water in his enclosure. We assume his salad and occasional fruit gives him plenty and give him a bath one to two times a week. Humidity is 40%. I read the liquid could be over hydration but it would have to be just from his salad. The fruit was only introduced a couple weeks into ownership and he still had the sticky liquid prior.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Poo.jpg
    Poo.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 110

adapa

the white is normal.
I'm not sure about the red tint tho but my dragon has white 95% of the time. It's instead of pee- for lack of a better explanation

SC Beardie Dad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Norbert
the white is normal.
I'm not sure about the red tint tho but my dragon has white 95% of the time. It's instead of pee- for lack of a better explanation

That white gooey mass is the first time ever we've seen it. It almost looks like a clear sac with white stuff inside of it. The puddle of liquid is what we thought was pee. That puddle always comes out with the poo!

adapa

yeah, it's like it's in a sack. Imho, it's odd that you haven't seen the white part before. But likely someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly with a good explanation

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The water that comes out is just excess hydration passing through the digestive tract. That is pretty normal and is a good indicator of adequate hydration. The white part is urate which is produced by the kidneys and is a pee equivalent. It is typically bright white, but can have off colors like in your photo from time to time. It isn't necessarily a sign of a problem (unless it's blue which can indicate kidney trouble) and can be caused by a number of factors. One thing to look into if this continues is the supplementation type and schedule. If you dust bug meals with calcium and/or vitamin powder, you may want to cut back on that or make adjustments and see if the urate color changes.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The red could be from the water melon, to find out you could only feed it again after it clears up to white. Give him the melon again and see if it turns back red.

SC Beardie Dad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Norbert
Thanks for the info everyone. His poo went back to normal today. It's a lot of liquid and just the black logs. He's honestly never had that white besides the one time. I am also guessing the red was from the watermelon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom