New Owner Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesoVerin

Hello,

I have cared for a beardie before but he was 5 years old and a rescue. I now have a baby beardie that I just picked up today. I have never cared for a baby before but I know what to do and how to care for him but is it normal for my beardie to not eat right when I get him? I know he must be a bit stressed from the move from the pet store to my house but when will he start to eat?

He will start to eat.. but when I got my baby, he went INSTANTLY for the crickets i put in the cage. He won't eat if he's not warm.. so wait till he warms up, and I heard some beardies don't eat when something is watching them, as most animals won't. He will eat, if not, try handfeeding or "tweezer feeding". I find handfeeding more useful in a relationship with the animal sense, but some people say "it then assumes that biting is good."

Dont worry, he'll eat. AND post pics =). Bueno Suerte

let him warm up, sleep and in the morning try feedin him again. If not, put a worn sock into his cage, so he will find u as a friend (you should already know all of this).

LesoVerin

Original Poster
It a been a few years since I cared for him and that was for a few short years. I have never cared for a baby and have never had feeding issues

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Babies are sensitive to relocation stress and may not eat for a few days.

Keep trying. Keep the crickets really small so they don't get intimidated. Try feeding outside the tank so the crickets don't overwhelm the baby in his own environment that he's trying to get used to. keep handling down for a few days and let him get acclimated to his surroundings. Try hand-feeding but keep it as an occasion, not a habit - they seem to get spoiled really easily LOL.

LesoVerin

Original Poster
I already know he is going to be getting spoiled hahaha

I am having a problem keeping the tank hot too. Is stays at 90. Is a bigger watt bulb the fix for that?

LesoVerin

Original Poster
The one I have now is a 100 watt bulb and that keeps it at 90. The night heat bulb is A 50 watt and keeps it about 75-80

LesoVerin

Original Poster
Alright everyone. Thank you for your help and info. He is eating now every feeding. After he eats he sits on his basking spot and his belly is so full. I rub the back of his neck with my finger and he closes his eyes. He loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom