New owner getting conflicting information

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
With that meter you will be able to fine tune your setup, thats a huge boon.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Congrats, welcome to the family! You were given amazing advice, I have nothing else to add, LOL
I can share that I have never given Rocky crickets- dubias are his staples and he's thriving.
Oh, your beardie is a cutie! :love: Hold tight for an amazing journey- you've come to the right place for support!

Jes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
Congrats, welcome to the family! You were given amazing advice, I have nothing else to add, LOL
I can share that I have never given Rocky crickets- dubias are his staples and he's thriving.
Oh, your beardie is a cutie! :love: Hold tight for an amazing journey- you've come to the right place for support!
Thanks I'm glad I found this site I was getting so much conflicting information even from a breeder, 2 pet store owners and my vet (although they all agreed not to believe everything on-line, lol)
I feel much better with the info I'm getting here!

Hi everyone. I am new to beardies and want to do things right. I bought Obidiah from Petsmart (have been told that was not the best place to get one) July 29 and was told he was around 2 months old. On line I read you should feed babies 2 or 3 times a day and feed them as much as they will eat within 10-15 minutes, so that's what I did. Then I talked to a breeder and she said only feed him 1 or 2 times a day and only 10-15 crickets a day. She said to dust insects everyday, one day with calcium and d3, next day vitamins and d3, and jut keep alternating. She also said he probably has parasites because I bought him from Petsmart so I should bring him to a vet. I brought him to vet who said all reptiles have a certain amount of parasites but Obidiah was within normal ranges but that he was a little under weight. So for a month and a half I went from feeding him 25 or more crickets a day to 15 a day and am now feeding him 3 times a day and between 20 and 30 small crickets a day. He also gets and devours a salad every day. He has never acted like he was full yet, always acts like I have starved him and can't get enough food. I really would like to know how much is average for a 3 1/2 month old beardie. Also he has been going to the bathroom twice a day, very regular, until today, he has had all 3 feedings and still hasn't gone, is this normal? I really appreciate any help you can give me and Obi

You have to feed them 60-70 live bugs a day and that should be 80% of the time and 20% fresh veggies.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The number of bugs they will eat can vary alot even day to day. Total count isn't really the goal, it's to let them eat until full 2 to 3 times per day (when they are babies)

The number of bugs they will eat can vary alot even day to day. Total count isn't really the goal, it's to let them eat until full 2 to 3 times per day (when they are babies)

I agree with that. However, in total it should be more than what is listed from the person that is giving them way less bugs. That is their staple food till they turn 1 yrs of age. Along with Calcium, Multivitamin and Calcium D3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220907_220145.jpg
    Screenshot_20220907_220145.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 75

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom