New owner. Food tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! Being a new owner I'm finding it hard to decide what to feed my Dragons. They're both about 1 1/2 years old.. I'm pretty sure they're about 17 or 18 in long. The previous owners where giving them pellets and crickets and fresh vegetables but didn't specify what type.

I'm pretty much hating crickets right about now.. I was looking into worms of some sort and had bought mealworms and superworms.

I was wondering what do your dragons like to eat? If anything special? What is the proper way to feed them and any other information you feel i should know!

Thank you!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
You're best bet is to buy 500 to 1000 superworms and they should last you quite a while. They are easy to keep and economical, just put them in a tub of wheat bran along with some carrots or potato for moisture and you're good to go. Most dragon keepers don't feed meal worms.

KDK241

Hatchling Member
Mealworms have a harder shell that can be hard to digest and cause impaction. They also have very little nutritious value. I give mine 2-3 mealworms once a week or so just for a treat. Phoenix worms and Reptiworms are also good staples instead of crickets. Dubia roaches are good and easy to breed once you get past the roach part of it :) (really they're not that bad and much better than crickets)

MyLoveThumbelina

Original Poster
I was thinking about the roaches..But I'm not really sure I could talk my hunny into getting them.. I might try though.

My Dragon's seem to love the worms alot more, but i can never find the Phenix worms.

KDK241

Hatchling Member
Phoenix worms are great but expensive. I ordered some to give to mine along with their dubias. Trust me, I was completely against bringing any type of roach into my house but once you figure out how many crickets you would need a month and add that up its so worth it. My beardies still eat crickets on occasion but will go for a roach first any day! They really aren't that bad but I use feeding tongs to grab them because I refuse to let one crawl on me :puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom