New Neighbors Constantly Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hi All,

Been a while, but I'm looking for a little advice here. I work for a big university and because of this the bulk of the other people living in my apartment complex are college students (as I live close to work). Marijuana was also legalized in my state relatively recently, and my new neighbors - I don't know which ones - are apparently massive smokers.

Now this wouldn't be a big issue for me except for the fact that it seems to be effecting Guacamole's respiratory health. Every week on Thursday and Friday they seem to smoke for the entire two days, stinking up, as far as I can tell, the entire apartment complex. My whole apartment reeks as badly as it would if I myself smoked (I don't, mostly out of courtesy to my partner who despises smoking), and the hallway outside is even worst.

During the weekly smoke-athon, I've noticed that Guacamole almost always makes little huffing/sneezing noises throughout. He never does this when the complex doesn't reek of pot, but it seems pretty obvious that he's having some kind of reaction to the miasma my neighbors create and I'm terrified of the extra stress eventually causing an RI.

I have an appointment with my reptile vet to get a new Ball Python I purchased checked out as soon as the stay-at-home order ends, and I plan to ask her about the issue as well while I'm there, but I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions. I've tried cracking open the window, and it's 50:50 odds on if it helps or worsens the situation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Ellen,

Welcome back.

I typically suggest air purifiers for the benefit to the human, but this is a case where it would be for the benefit of your dragon.

But, I really think this is a strong strong case for an air purifier. It should help immensely as long as you are able to get a decent one. If you have a costco nearby, they should have an air purifier by Winix that goes for 99 (on sale) or 120 bucks. If Guac is in a room by himself (as opposed to an open room like the living room) it will be much more effective at keeping the air clean. But if not, you just need to size an air filter to the size room you have. I can't speak for other brands, but the Winix brand at Costco has far exceeded my expectations as far as an air purifier goes. And it has for a couple of friends I've talked into buying one too (look at me, getting excited about an air purifier.. that's how much I like it LOL)

I'm sure you're well aware of the fragility of reptile lungs especially when compared to mammal lungs. Guac needs clean air and you only have 2 ways of doing that. Remove him from the environment, or "clean" the environment.

It's really a crummy situation to be in.

-Brandon

LavendelK

Hi!

Sorry to hear about the smoking issue and potential problems, I had a similar situation and figured that I might offer reassurance that it might just be the smoke! I rescued my little one from my previous roommate who got in over her head and couldn’t care for her, we continued living together and once I found out about candles/essential oils/smoke/etc. and how it effects beardies, we quit using any scented products/products that create smoke in the common areas. After her boyfriend moved in they smoked weed ALL THE TIME. A lot of it, which I personally don’t have a problem with but that’s beside the point. Rasa has been lethargic and uninterested in eating despite my best efforts to get her sun, proper basking temps, uv, etc. for months.

I moved out recently and once I did I noticed an IMMEDIATE improvement in Rasa. I don’t have any candles, incense, air fresheners or anything in the same room as her(I have a few air fresheners on low settings in the bathroom and bedroom but that’s it). She’s been more active and alert and a bit cheeky if I’m being honest, lol.

I hope it’s just the smoke affecting your little one! An air purifier might do the trick but I had the opportunity to move so I didn’t get to test one out. Good luck and I hope things improve!

- Cassidy

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Brandon,

Awesome, that's what I was thinking. I really appreciate the specific recommendation, too. Luckily all my herps are in one room these days, and that room happens to be my office as well. I might look into getting two so that my poor partner can get a break from the fumes as well. :lol:

Then again, it is a small apartment, one might go a long way.

It particularly sucks because the smoking habits of the residents was something we asked both the complex manager and the random potential neighbors we ran into when we were touring here. Last year it would get faintly "skunky" maybe once a month, and usually culprits back then were doing their best to minimize the issue by going out on their balconies. There's also been a lot more "partying" in general this year, even during the global pandemic...

I think, perhaps, that come time to resign the lease we might be looking for another place.

Thanks,
-Ellen

EDIT:

Hi Cassidy,

Sounds like you and me have/had a very similar household, lol! We keep the common areas and my office as "air neutral" as we can, but my SO and I like to use some good smelling products in our bedroom. Our strategy is to use it as little as possible, keep that door closed, and limit ourselves to the less toxic/irritating scents. Thanks for the response!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I also have 2 actually.

Bought it, was so impressed with it that I decided I wanted more. I still want more lol.

I have one in the beardie room (beardies and bugs are all that is in that room) and then we have one in our master bedroom too.

I really think you and your partner will like it too. It has some great features.
This is the specific one that I have and have been recommending:
https://www.costco.com/winix-c545-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wifi-with-plasmawave-technology.product.100500281.html

But anyways, hope you are able to figure something out and to see some improvement if you do go with the air purifier.

I don't blame you, I wouldn't be renewing my lease either. If it got to the point of being really bad, I might even consider trying to get out of the lease for that reason alone. But, that's a decision for you to make.

Hope things have been going well for you and Guac, and that you haven't been TOO busy with labwork :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Complain to the landlord , frequently ( every day if necessary ) , you have a right to unpolluted air and should be able open your windows for fresh unpolluted air.

My advise is don't bother confronting these stupid selfish kids - that will only make you a target for malicious retribution ( that could get very dangerous for you ).
Just go directly to the landlord ( I'd be betting you are not the only one who is being impacted on and having their lives effected negatively by these kids) , and put all the complaints down in writing and document the frequency of the problem. Keep very good records , you can't be "verballed" this way or misrepresented , I'd even record all phone calls made when complaining too ( tell them you are recording the call ) .
Don't let the landlord fog you off. Perhaps even threaten to legal up on the landlord if they continue to fog you off ( it's a health issue , especially now ).
Eventually the landlord will get fed up with dealing the potheads , and evict them. Your moving is the last resort ( use the rental agreement rules to your advantage ).

Partying and lack of social distancing , dob them in to the cops , do it EVERY TIME , don't give them an inch or any leeway at all. You don't need it and the cops are obligated to make a report and shut them down ( perhaps even fine them - especially if they are not complying with your state's covid19 social distancing rules ) , some people only get it once they cop a big fine .

Uptake , you are being negatively effected , so become a force to be reckoned with and squeeky wheel , complain often ( make a pest of yourself , badger the cops and the landlord about these issues ) , never let up or give an inch . You have rights , enforce them .This works.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":rgoblfdl said:
Complain to the landlord , frequently ( every day if necessary ) , you have a right to unpolluted air and should be able open your windows for fresh unpolluted air.
This isn't too far off from what I was going to suggest.

In my day, people stuffed towels under their doors, but since legalization, I don't spoze folks do that anymore.

IANAL
Anyway, I would first look to your lease. There's usually some kind of clause about causing nuisances, constructive nuisances, quiet enjoyment... language like that. Contact your landlord in writing, expressing your complaint (I'd leave the dragon out of it), and citing the clause(s) of your lease that may apply.

That's the first step. You may have to follow up with calls. I hesitate to suggest confronting the neighbors directly--it really depends on the neighbors and how well you know them.

If things can't be worked out through the landlord/property manager, things may have to be kicked upstairs to whatever body regulates housing/rentals in your locale. If that doesn't work, there's your state's attorney general.

Keep in mind all this could take some time.

You always have the option of consulting a lawyer, but that could take both time and money.

In the meantime, a room size air cleaner/filter may be your best solution.

I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom