New Multi-level enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyLizzy

So, we decided to build an enclosure. And by we, I mean my husband lol. He wanted to do most of the work. Since we have limited space we decided on a multilevel one, which will separate our two juvenile beardies, finally.

Measurements are 37"(W) x 24"(D)x 16"(H)

I do have a question or two about lighting, mostly for the baking. We installed T8 under cabinet fixtures because we couldn't find T5s except for online and these were discounted which helped our budget, lol. I'm ordering the bulbs for those today. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-t-8-euro-range-10-18-inch-bulb-15-watt-super-sale/ these are okay, right? PetCo usually has the reptisun 10.5, but I hadn't seen them the last time we went.

I'm just having a problem find the right bulbs for heating/basking. I'm not sure if there are other linear bulbs that give off enough heat for them. And other basking lights I've come across seem too bulky. It's a little harder with the multilevel because at least at the top, we'd be able to mount a fixture through the ceiling of the enclosure, but I'm not sure how it would work for the rest. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm open to them!

84195-8996632010.jpg
The bulb is just a reflection.

84195-603973219.jpg

84195-9960570465.jpg
This is how we decided to install the T8s. Just a cleaner look.

84195-1835555854.jpg
We still need proper decorations lol

And floors. We're actually floor installers and we've gotten rid of so much stuff that we could actually use right now. I'm hoping we get vinyl planks, they're waterproof, easy to clean and to remove if needed.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
as far as the uv light goes it should really span the entire length of the enclosure side to side not front to back (it is hard to tell which way it is in the pics)

and for the basking lamp you can mount any fixture you want to in there you just want to make sure that anything used for climbing and such are not too close for them to burn them selves (a standard flood light socket from the hardware store will work as long as you are not using ceramic heat emitters)

quyllur

Hatchling Member
I think in your situation I would find a basking fixture that I could mount to the side of the enclosure at the top with a swivel arm for positioning. You could mount it as high up on the side as possible and use the swivel arm to position it so that it is pointing down at an angle.

If you attach a fixture to the top and then it points straight down, your dragon will not be able to get close enough to the UVB lighting.

Something like this (Home Depot carries singles as well but I couldn't find on the website) if you or your husband are comfortable doing the wiring
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2-light-antique-bronze-exterior-security.1000761299.html

A linear light will not put off enough heat to act as a basking lamp.

izzyLizzy

Original Poster
vulcan2016 said:
as far as the uv light goes it should really span the entire length of the enclosure side to side not front to back (it is hard to tell which way it is in the pics)

^^ I agree. I would prefer it to span the length of the enclosure as well, but someone was being a bit stubborn on which way to install it. Aside from the lights, though, I do take these guys outside to get some sun a few days a week. For about an hour or so after work, longer periods over the weekends. Hopefully that counts for something.

Thanks!

izzyLizzy

Original Poster
quyllur":36vk1gt4 said:
I think in your situation I would find a basking fixture that I could mount to the side of the enclosure at the top with a swivel arm for positioning. You could mount it as high up on the side as possible and use the swivel arm to position it so that it is pointing down at an angle.

If you attach a fixture to the top and then it points straight down, your dragon will not be able to get close enough to the UVB lighting.

Something like this (Home Depot carries singles as well but I couldn't find on the website) if you or your husband are comfortable doing the wiring
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2-light-antique-bronze-exterior-security.1000761299.html

A linear light will not put off enough heat to act as a basking lamp.

Thanks!! I'm not sure why we didn't check at Home Depot. Lowe's didn't have many options. We'll make a trip tomorrow. I appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom