New Member and New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaya

Happy New Year. I got Lizzy (named by my grand daughter) on December 24. She eats really well even her collards. We are excited to have her and are looking forward to watching her grow and mature. She is in a Ten Gallon now, but I purchased the 40 gallon today and we are wanting to set it up in the next week or so. First I need to know more about her, and how to set up her new home. (properly as the set up I have is just one rec by Pet Smart employees and I feel she will need a lot more, thus I joined the Community to learn the correct way.) I always wanted a pet lizard, we now have two. Lollipop a Leo, and Lizzy our newest baby. Any direction you want to give me will be appreciated. Thanks. :D

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to read through posts and to go through the Care Sheets and Article link at the top of this page. That's where you'll find the staples and the basics to creating a safe, healthy, and comfortable viv for your beardie.

Yaya

Original Poster
Pictures. as soon as I figure out how I will post her picture, she is a pretty lady ( or could be a fella :roll: ) I have been reading, and the thing I just read was about the lighting. I have a 10.0 repti glo by exo terra that is a compact but what do they mean by coil. This looks like a coil, its what Pet Smart sold me as the better bulb. I am concerned about her eyes. She does not seem to close them a lot, but I don't want her going blind. Thing is I am not sure what they are talking about when they said coil? eek this was not a cheap bulb and I did not save the receipt.

To post pictures, just go to tinypic.com and upload your picture and it'll give you a link to copy and paste into your reply and it'll show the picture.

Yaya

Original Poster
Thank you for the information on how to upload the pics. I will give it a try when things settle down. :D

jezwolf175

Sub-Adult Member
Reptiglo as a whole isnt a good brand. The compacts are the smaller lights that fit in a dome. You can turn that off until you get the reptisun 10.0 or a mercury vapor bulb. www.petmountain.com has good prices for the reptisun tube. And it's cheaper than going to the store.

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
What kind of substrate are you using at the bottom of the cage?
what kind of basking light?
Are you using a night light?
How are you taking temps?
Are you using a water bowl?
What are you feeding?
What are you using for calcium and vitamin supplements and how much?

And I agree with the above poster that you need to get the reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE or the arcadia 12% TUBE, those are the only recommended uvbs for beardies unless you go with an mvb bulb but I'm not too familiar with that one so I can't give you much information on that. The coils and compacts are bad for your beardies eyes, they can even cause blindness.

Sorry to bombard you with all the questions but it will help us to help you and your beardie.

Yaya

Original Poster
Will get you this information tonight as I work till seven. Just checking email between patients. ( I'm a dental hygienist ) I have just purchased a 40 gallon and want to set it up correctly I'm sure some things will need to be ordered as pet smart and petco is all we have. I don't mind the questions and will send answers when I get home. I'm a little upset about having all the wrong stuff as I've spent over 200.00 dollars on items. But I'm thankful to have found you all to help. Till later. Yaya

Yaya

Original Poster
dear sweatpea
okay I have a kit they sold me, the basking light and night light came in the kit. I am not sure what the wattage is. All I know for sure was the 10.0 light that I purchased was apparently the wrong light. Flooring is reptile carpet . I just bought a 40 gallon tank, but will be returning it for a 55 gallon tomorrow. I was told to go larger. I would go for a 75 but they did not have one of those. Will the 55 gallon be okay. Guess it will have to be if they don't have a 75. My calcium is Fluker's with D3. I have not bought other supplements yet as I was not sure which to get. I got Lizzy on Dec 26, and she is eating crickets and greens. Feeding twice a day and she eats about 6-8 crickets and several bites of greens. She has a water bath and for now she is in a ten gallon tank. Lizzy is about 5-6 inches long and most of that is tail. Im not sure of her age. I need to know what to use as looks like I will be buying new stuff. I sure don't want her to go blind. Her temp is 89-90 degrees. The humidity is at 30%. I should have gotten digital, but was not informed of how important that would be either. EEK so frustrated. Like I said, 200 dollars already and not the correct items. I will be buying a temp gun next week. Waiting on payday of course. I feed her BTW on a paper towel in a plastic bin to keep up with the crickets. I wish I had done more research but I did not know I was buying her till Christmas when she went on sale. I need to know names of products etc so I can buy what is better. I do have a limited budget, and 5 grandkids, but want to do the best I can for her. Having owned the gecko, I was not prepared for the difference in the two. But I knew I wanted the beardy for awhile. :D So far this experience has not been fun :banghead: Love my baby, but not this headache. While I am unhappy to have so much of the wrong items, part of this is my fault for not researching first. But you think pet smart would know what to use or not. Well got to feed the Lollipop, if she decides to come out of hiding. I upgraded her home and she has not been real happy with me either. I'm on the lizards poopy list I think. May they both survive my learning experience. Thank you .. in advance for the information Yaya

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
Yeah those kits are terrible, we bought one but knew we were going to be changing stuff, if you have your reciept you could take some of the things back in exchange for other things.

Ok repticarpet is a good substrate, a little harder to clean, but you could always have extra so you can change it out when it needs washed.

The uvb should be the reptiSUN 10.0 florescent tube good place to get bulbs is online here is a website http://www.drsfostersmith.com
If you are going to order a bulb or get one soon you can shut off the bad uvb light so you don't have any problems with his eyes, a week without uvb is better than a week with bad uvb. You can get the bulb fixture at walmart for like 8 bucks it is called an under the counter light fixture(T8) comes in different sizes all depends on if you are going use a 18, 24, 36 inch bulb. The light fixture from walmart already comes with a bulb but you just throw that bulb out and put your reptisun bulb in.
You also have to make sure that your beardie can get withing 6-8 inches away from the uvb and the uvb should be mounted inside the tank in the basking area.

You don't need the night light as it can interrupt your beardies sleep, if your tank goes below 65 degrees at night then you will need to get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) it give off het but no light- can generally go in the same dome you have your black light in right now.
What I do is I have a space heater in the lizard/computer room that I have set to 75 degrees so their tanks never go below 70 degrees at night. I also have 4 tanks in this room so CHE's for all the tanks was way more pricey than the space heater.

about the size of tank, it is more about width of tank than length, yes length is nice but if your adult beardie can't turn around easily in it than it's not that great. A 40 Gal BREEDER tank is generally an ok size for an adult dragon, but the breeder is wide, whereas if you get a 55 gal aquarium it is not that wide and it is pretty tall, which you generally don't need with a beardie.

For vitamins I have FLUCKERS REPTILE VITAMIN I use it 2 days a week one feeding a day on saturday and sunday, with calcium you use it 5 times a week one feeding a day.

Your temps seem a little low, but you don't have a digital probe or temp gun so it is hard to say what they actually are. The website I gave you sell temp guns and digital probes to plus if you spend 49 dollars you get free shipping.

That's great that you feed her in a seperate bin!!!! So much easier than hunting for uneaten crickets in her cage.

Yes it can be a headache getting everything figured out but once you get it right it becomes like second nature. Lots of info here, plus feel free to ask any questions there are lots of people here that want to help make your beardies life with you the best it can be! We love beardies and love helping people get the right information since petstores want to keep giving the wrong info.

Yaya

Original Poster
Thank you for the information . And I place the tube inside the tank and not on top ok. This is different. Does it hang over the ledge or glue in.
I see where the 40 would be better than the 55 duh I did not think taller, I was thinking longer. Wish I could get a 75 that sound good but if the 40 is ok then so glad I did not swap them. I want to get her home ready soon, and she will be ok turning off that other light for a week is ok. What wattage on the basking light for 40 gallons . Thank you again

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Wattage isn't that important on a basking light - temp is. You could probably use a 75 basking light like I do, and get a dimmer to adjust it a little to get the desired temps. You want it to be 105-115 on the basking spot, averaging around 110.

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
Yaya":59n1lrdy said:
Thank you for the information . And I place the tube inside the tank and not on top ok. This is different. Does it hang over the ledge or glue in.
I see where the 40 would be better than the 55 duh I did not think taller, I was thinking longer. Wish I could get a 75 that sound good but if the 40 is ok then so glad I did not swap them. I want to get her home ready soon, and she will be ok turning off that other light for a week is ok. What wattage on the basking light for 40 gallons . Thank you again

For mounting you can use 3m command hooks, or heavy duty Velcro, or you could glue it in as long as you will never want to move it, but then you'll have to find out what kind of glue stuff is beardie safe, if that is the route you want to go I'm sure someone can tell what kind you can use or look in the enclosure section I'm sure someone has said what kind is safe there. And yes a week with out uvb should be ok try not to go any longer than that though, but it is definitely better than that week with the bad uvb. And daner is right it is hard to tell you exactly what wattage to use, because all that matters is temp, this is where the temp gun or digital probes come in hand, walmart sells a pretty cheap digital probe it is the acurite digital probe it is like 10-12 bucks in the indoor/outdoor thermometer section.
No problem I know it seems like a lot at first but it is just some small things once you get everything straightened out it won't be that bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom