New member 👋🏼

BDZuki

Beardie name(s)
Zuki
Hey guys, just joined this forum & hoping to have some advice to help me care the best I can for our old beardie, Zuki.

I would say, I’m not a total newbie but still not 100% sure we’ve got things right for Zuki. His story, he is now around 10-11yrs old, I moved in with my other half in 2020 & he had taken over looking after Zuki after his son left home etc. I very quickly became besotted with him & wanted to know more. His viv set up I think is 2x2x4 but I haven’t measured it exactly, it looks like it could be 1.5x1.5x4. He had 1 Arcadia UV 5% tube at the back & 1 Arcadia UV 10% at the front that had gone out. He also has a 150w GLS basking bulb. I noticed he was slowing down a bit so replaced his 10% tube that had blown & he became a lot more active again in his viv. He fed on locusts and morio worms with rocket salad and kale. We’d dip his live feeds in calcium powder. (Not sure of the brand we got)
Fast forward to summer 2022 - he still has the same bulbs but I have now found out they needed changing ages ago :( I feel awful. Not only this, Zuki has gone through 2 traumas, where I accidentally stepped on him & vet clarified I’d cracked maybe a few ribs but nothing internal was damaged thank heavens. He then developed tail rot & had hit partially amputated in September last year. Vet confirmed he has stiff joints too in one rear knee & his front left arm :( The vet advised us to rearrange his viv so he doesn’t have to climb high but I’m worried he now isn’t close enough to his basking lamp?

We hand feed him & I syringe water into him or when we give him a little bath (after he has pooped in his viv) he does drink himself.

For the last 3 weeks I’ve noticed he isn’t moving much at all, he basks & gapes etc but if we left his light on he wouldn’t move out of it, he would stay there & vice verse if we placed him in his hide at night, he wouldn’t move to the basking spot when daylight starts again the next day. He is still interested in food as when I put the morio worms in front of him he sees them and goes for them (his aim is now shocking so hence we feed him with plastic tweezers)

I am now online shopping & am looking at purchasing him 1 Arcadia 12% T8 uvb light to replace the old ones (5% & 10%) Would this be the correct thing to do or shall I keep his original set up and replace the same lights?

I’m really hoping he is not sick & just needs the UV replaced 🤞🏼 He loves a snuggle too out of the viv & often his beard will go black when we put him back in, so that could be a sign?

I am having some financial problems at the moment so I wouldn’t be able to purchase a new viv if this one is too small, so I’m just hoping I can get the right advice to get the right set up for him. I have also read I will need to purchase Repashy calcium Plus LOD supplement if I purchase just the T8 light?

Just adding on his temps, the basking area is around 39/40°C, cool side 26-29°C

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, sorry it was a long one.

Attachments

• 964190A2-1C5C-44E6-83F6-7A10EFC450D9.jpeg
    964190A2-1C5C-44E6-83F6-7A10EFC450D9.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 170
  • E15177D6-055F-451E-80CA-FA5FC042098B.jpeg
    E15177D6-055F-451E-80CA-FA5FC042098B.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Ohhh he is a big ole chunky boy!!!! He could be the brother, well at his age daddy to my big ole chunk. He looks just like him 😁
The Arcadia t5 12% would be ther better option, you can use a t8 but they aren't as strong and need to be closer to your boy. It best if you can mount either bulb in the habitat. But if not the distance to the bulb needs to be closer. The screen blocks a lot of the uvb.
Welcome to the forum btw. Feel free to ask anything you need to know, the folk here are extremely helpful.

BDZuki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zuki
Ohhh he is a big ole chunky boy!!!! He could be the brother, well at his age daddy to my big ole chunk. He looks just like him 😁
The Arcadia t5 12% would be ther better option, you can use a t8 but they aren't as strong and need to be closer to your boy. It best if you can mount either bulb in the habitat. But if not the distance to the bulb needs to be closer. The screen blocks a lot of the uvb.
Welcome to the forum btw. Feel free to ask anything you need to know, the folk here are extremely helpful.
Aww thank you for your quick reply & lovely comments on Zuki. We were told at the vet he was the biggest (longest before he had his chop 😂) bearded dragon they’ve treated. He is beautiful, yours must be beautiful too then 😊

So would the T5 be suitable placed at the front of his viv? Right now he has the basking bulb to the right and the 5% tube at the back & the 10% one at the front with his bulb in between them. I mentioned the T8 only because I was told off 🙄 On a Facebook group for having two uvb & got told the T8 would be suitable for the front or the back, & that the T5 has to be diagonally mounted?

That’s why I’ve joined this forum, I was left feeling like a bad mama ☹️ I am trying my best, I just want to make sure I kit him with the best.

If the t5 can be put in the front or back, I will order on today 😊

Thanks again

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The primary difference in t5 and t8 is strength, a 5% isn't strong enough and. 10% would need to be close to the dragon. A t8 needs to be within 6 to 8 inches, a t5 is 12 to 15 inches. I would mounts it so you have over lap with the basking so he gets both without having to chose one or the other.
This is Zen, i think you'll see the similarities 😁

Attachments

• IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3743.jpg
    IMG_3743.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 68

BDZuki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zuki
The primary difference in t5 and t8 is strength, a 5% isn't strong enough and. 10% would need to be close to the dragon. A t8 needs to be within 6 to 8 inches, a t5 is 12 to 15 inches. I would mounts it so you have over lap with the basking so he gets both without having to chose one or the other.
Awww Zen is a chunk hunk isn’t he 🤣 Beautiful boy! I can see the resemblance too.

Zuki has lost weight a bit since these photos ☹️ I’m really hoping to get him back on track.

This makes total sense & I think with us having to rearrange his viv so he’s not having to climb too high, the T5 lamp sounds the best for him. Is there any specific supplements I use with the T5, as I got told it was the Repashy with the T8

Thanks for your continued advice with Zuki

Charlotte

BDZuki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zuki
Sorry, another question - do I take out both old UV lights & just put the new one in at the front of the viv I’m thinking? I’ve done some measuring & it seems it is 18” high and 18” depth, 45” length.

He has sand substrate, has done for a long time, because we hand feed him we’ve never seen him lick the sand or try eat it.

Managed to get 7 morio worms (5 this morning/2 when I came back from work) into him with a little rocket & syringed his meds (loxicom) & water 👍🏼

I’m such a worrier 🙈

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Distance for T 5 is 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor inside the tank --- calcium D3 should be given once a week on the insects he eats- calcium w/ out d3 the other days of the week or days you feed insects - you dont need all those UVB's -- the T 5 12% bulb is good --- you dont want to over UVB him

BDZuki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zuki
Distance for T 5 is 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor inside the tank --- calcium D3 should be given once a week on the insects he eats- calcium w/ out d3 the other days of the week or days you feed insects - you dont need all those UVB's -- the T 5 12% bulb is good --- you dont want to over UVB him
Hi KarrieRee,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, I have a bit of a clearer idea now. Will purchase the T5 tomorrow to collect Saturday & have a look for some Calcium D3 👍🏼

Thanks again 🙏🏼

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi KarrieRee,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, I have a bit of a clearer idea now. Will purchase the T5 tomorrow to collect Saturday & have a look for some Calcium D3 👍🏼

Thanks again 🙏🏼
He only needs calcium D3 once a week w/ the T 5 -- the other days you can dust his bugs w/ calcium w/ out D3 - the T 5 is good for the calcium D3 and absorption --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Keep us posted to please, we all get vested in every d🐉 here.

BDZuki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zuki
Keep us posted to please, we all get vested in every d🐉 here.
Absolutely! I’ve been blown away how friendly this forum is. Glad to have left the Facebook group, some Admins were just patronising. I feel really welcome on here & the advice is delicately delivered 😂 😊

Thanks everyone for your responses

BDZuki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zuki
He only needs calcium D3 once a week w/ the T 5 -- the other days you can dust his bugs w/ calcium w/ out D3 - the T 5 is good for the calcium D3 and absorption --
Right, got you. Two separate supplements - I’m hoping this will really help him pick up a little.

Thanks Karrie

BDZuki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zuki
Hey 👋🏼

I’ve gone with the T8 after measuring, turns out his viv is only a 1ft & half in height so his basking spot if the T8 is placed at the front would be roughly 23-25cm away from his back, and not in his face/eyes. The T5 didn’t have the correct length tube for his viv.

So I’m double checking which supplements with the T8? Is it the same as with the T5? Calcium with D3 once a week the rest just calcium?

Sorry for all the questions, I know he is very slow at the moment and I don’t want to make a mistake with his care

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hey 👋🏼

I’ve gone with the T8 after measuring, turns out his viv is only a 1ft & half in height so his basking spot if the T8 is placed at the front would be roughly 23-25cm away from his back, and not in his face/eyes. The T5 didn’t have the correct length tube for his viv.

So I’m double checking which supplements with the T8? Is it the same as with the T5? Calcium with D3 once a week the rest just calcium?

Sorry for all the questions, I know he is very slow at the moment and I don’t want to make a mistake with his care

Thanks
You can try the 9 inches normally we recommend 6-8 w/ a T 8 but try and watch his behavior- as far as the supplements you will need to increase the D3 - T 8's are not as strong and you want it in the tank w/ the distance of 6-8- I would give the D3 2-3 times per week now - please have it directly over him - then the eye thing wont be a issue - its when the UVB is placed on a back wall directly in eye sight of the dragon - its better if its above him - the rays are projecting downward to him - my dragons get directly under theirs and flatten out on their rocks

BDZuki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zuki
You can try the 9 inches normally we recommend 6-8 w/ a T 8 but try and watch his behavior- as far as the supplements you will need to increase the D3 - T 8's are not as strong and you want it in the tank w/ the distance of 6-8- I would give the D3 2-3 times per week now - please have it directly over him - then the eye thing wont be a issue - its when the UVB is placed on a back wall directly in eye sight of the dragon - its better if its above him - the rays are projecting downward to him - my dragons get directly under theirs and flatten out on their rocks
Sorry, I didn’t explain it well enough. It will be on his ceiling at the front not the wall part, when he is in his basking spot it should have the UVB rays towards his back, but I can see it is possible to unscrew the mounts and place it closer to the middle of his roof/basking bulb.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom