New job, need new daylight schedule but worried about timing

Orion1002

Hi! So I am starting a new job next week and will be working 4 10 hour days a week now so I really have to change her light schedule. My little one usually has lights on from 7am-7pm, fresh salad bowl when the lights come on, first feed of 40 BSFL at 11am, second feed of 40 BSFL at 5:30pm, and then I get her out at 6:50pm and snuggle her to sleep before I put her back in for the night.

I need to feed her before I leave for work in the morning but I like to give her a little time to warm up after lights come on, so I would have to have them turn on at 5am. Then to feed her after work and give her time under the heat lamp to digest after her dinner I’d have to have the lights turn off at about 8:30/9pm. But that’s only about 8 hours of night time, so I’m a little worried that’s not enough.

If anyone has thoughts or advice I would greatly appreciate it!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! So I am starting a new job next week and will be working 4 10 hour days a week now so I really have to change her light schedule. My little one usually has lights on from 7am-7pm, fresh salad bowl when the lights come on, first feed of 40 BSFL at 11am, second feed of 40 BSFL at 5:30pm, and then I get her out at 6:50pm and snuggle her to sleep before I put her back in for the night.

I need to feed her before I leave for work in the morning but I like to give her a little time to warm up after lights come on, so I would have to have them turn on at 5am. Then to feed her after work and give her time under the heat lamp to digest after her dinner I’d have to have the lights turn off at about 8:30/9pm. But that’s only about 8 hours of night time, so I’m a little worried that’s not enough.

Put lights on a timer -- set a bowl of salad w/ your bsfl in the tank before you leave- then feed again before 2 hrs before lights out- make sure you have a bowl that the bsfl can't get out of

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa

I recommend a smart timer. It has made things so much easier for me.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have the fancy timers on a couple of my habitats BAAAHHH i paid stupid money for them. I bought 2 of these at lowes, they are 10 bucks and change and work friggen better than the expensive ones. The trick is to plug a power strip in to whichever one you need multiple stuff on, all my day time stuff is on one with a power strip, and night time stuff on the other (stand alone on the night, just a che) works great 👍 👌

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1-Outlet-Indoor-Digital-Timer/1002782790

Orion1002

Original Poster
Put lights on a timer -- set a bowl of salad w/ your bsfl in the tank before you leave- then feed again before 2 hrs before lights out- make sure you have a bowl that the bsfl can't get out of
Thank you all for the responses! I should have mentioned I have them on a timer (the coralife digital power center), so the light turning off and on shouldn’t be a problem to program. I’m just wondering if 5am-9pm of daylight/heat lamp and 8 hours of nighttime/ceramic heater would be too little night time for her? The little bugger BSFLs can climb out of most things I’m finding 🥲 (I woke up to more than 100 on the floor one day out of their original container 🙃) so I will continue trying things with them for in the morning.

I really wouldn’t mind waking up the extra time in the am to feed her, as I like hand feeding her for bonding time. I’m just worried she won’t have enough sleeping time at night.

Orion1002

Original Poster
I have the fancy timers on a couple of my habitats BAAAHHH i paid stupid money for them. I bought 2 of these at lowes, they are 10 bucks and change and work friggen better than the expensive ones. The trick is to plug a power strip in to whichever one you need multiple stuff on, all my day time stuff is on one with a power strip, and night time stuff on the other (stand alone on the night, just a che) works great 👍 👌

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1-Outlet-Indoor-Digital-Timer/100278279
Ughhh I so wish I had thought of going to Lowe’s or some other home improvement store, would have saved a chunk of cash 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Maybe try a different feeder? Like roaches or silkworms, you can leave them in an escape proof bowl then. That way she can eat them throughout the day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you all for the responses! I should have mentioned I have them on a timer (the coralife digital power center), so the light turning off and on shouldn’t be a problem to program. I’m just wondering if 5am-9pm of daylight/heat lamp and 8 hours of nighttime/ceramic heater would be too little night time for her? The little bugger BSFLs can climb out of most things I’m finding 🥲 (I woke up to more than 100 on the floor one day out of their original container 🙃) so I will continue trying things with them for in the morning.

I really wouldn’t mind waking up the extra time in the am to feed her, as I like hand feeding her for bonding time. I’m just worried she won’t have enough sleeping time at night.
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
this works good -- she needs 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off for lighting

Orion1002

Original Poster

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for the link! I’ll try one of those with the BSFL first since she loves those so much. If I have the light come on at 7am but I have to leave at 6:30am, do you think it would be ok for me to put the BSFL and her salad in at 6am while the lights are still off?
Yes she will go down and eat them when shes ready -- place the food on the cool side of the tank especially the salad it wont dry out so fast and rinse the greens before serving that too will help

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It also helps if you leave it where she can see the bufs moving. Beardies have a hard time resisting wiggling bugs lol

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom