New Here With Questions

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I can't, I cleaned it up already. But I called the pet place and they said it must have a parasite :( Now we have to exchange him or wait 3 weeks for them to treat him :(
Please do not let them do anything to the dragon----- call a vet and take a sample in -- you do NOT want a enema done especially per stores --
www.arav.org to find a vet type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you ----

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
No point in exchanging him either, if one had parasites likely they all do. Petstores don't really sanitize the way they should. Stuff like Cocidia is resistant to most cleaners, i know first hand, I'm treating another of my dragons for at the minute and I'm anal about keeping their habitats clean and sanitized.

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Please do not let them do anything to the dragon----- call a vet and take a sample in -- you do NOT want a enema done especially per stores --
www.arav.org to find a vet type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you ----
They wanted me to bring it back in to the pet store. However I was able to get an appointment at a vet on thursday. They won't pay, I will be out of pocket but itt will save a lot of trauma and stress for the BD if it can stay with us while being treated I think. I read that it is often hard for younger BD to kick a parasite - do you think that's true? Should I let them exchange him for another BD or try to have him treated on my own?

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
No point in exchanging him either, if one had parasites likely they all do. Petstores don't really sanitize the way they should. Stuff like Cocidia is resistant to most cleaners, i know first hand, I'm treating another of my dragons for at the minute and I'm anal about keeping their habitats clean and sanitized.
So I got a vet appt for thursday. I'm really hoping i can treat him here at home (they won't pay for it but oh well). I'm worried because he's only 5-6 months and he's eaten only a small amount of crickets since sunday and NO greens. I hope he can make it to thursday and I hope I am doing the right thing. Taking him back to the store does not sound like the right thing.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Karrieree can help you get your lights on point, she is really good with setup. When your setup is correct it will be easier to keep him healthy. It will largely effect his appetite also. Just keep trying to get him to eat, if he won't eat on his own (and he may not while on meds, it seems to kill their appetite). You can ask your vet about carnivore critical care, or you can order it on Amazone. You feed it with a syringe, its mixed with water so it will help keep him hydrated as well.
You can also get omnivore critical care, but babies need more protein so carnivore is probably the better way to go.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I got a vet appt for thursday. I'm really hoping i can treat him here at home (they won't pay for it but oh well). I'm worried because he's only 5-6 months and he's eaten only a small amount of crickets since sunday and NO greens. I hope he can make it to thursday and I hope I am doing the right thing. Taking him back to the store does not sound like the right thing.
Please get the stool sample in first ---- NO enemas I cannot stress this enough---- if he has parasites he can be treated at home- you will need to use paper towels if your using a carpet substrate or any kind of loose substrate - it will need to be sanitized every time he goes to the bath room - I would only keep decor in there for him to bask on and that is washable / sanitized --- please get some F 10 disinfectant - it can be ordered on line Amazon - its a concentrate and very good to have on hand -- it will kill whatever parasite hes got going -- if you could post a pic of the poop that would be good -- good surface basking temps and good UVB are going to keep the parasites at bay--- the dragon can fight them off and keep them in check if the temps are UVB are good ---- the meds will effect the appetite as well ---

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Please get the stool sample in first ---- NO enemas I cannot stress this enough---- if he has parasites he can be treated at home- you will need to use paper towels if your using a carpet substrate or any kind of loose substrate - it will need to be sanitized every time he goes to the bath room - I would only keep decor in there for him to bask on and that is washable / sanitized --- please get some F 10 disinfectant - it can be ordered on line Amazon - its a concentrate and very good to have on hand -- it will kill whatever parasite hes got going -- if you could post a pic of the poop that would be good -- good surface basking temps and good UVB are going to keep the parasites at bay--- the dragon can fight them off and keep them in check if the temps are UVB are good ---- the meds will effect the appetite as well ---
I will take a stool sample to the vet with me thursday. I won't let them do an enema (but to clarify if the actual vet wants to do one, I say no?) He's with sand substrate right now but I can take it all out and put down paper towels in order to sanitize better. I hope I can do this - I didn't consider the pet would be sick right off the bat :(

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Karrieree can help you get your lights on point, she is really good with setup. When your setup is correct it will be easier to keep him healthy. It will largely effect his appetite also. Just keep trying to get him to eat, if he won't eat on his own (and he may not while on meds, it seems to kill their appetite). You can ask your vet about carnivore critical care, or you can order it on Amazone. You feed it with a syringe, its mixed with water so it will help keep him hydrated as well.
You can also get omnivore critical care, but babies need more protein so carnivore is probably the better way to go.
I can get something called Flukers repti boost by tomorrow but the carnivore critical care won't wship until the 11th. Is it worth it to get the Flukers? Just to boost him up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will take a stool sample to the vet with me thursday. I won't let them do an enema (but to clarify if the actual vet wants to do one, I say no?) He's with sand substrate right now but I can take it all out and put down paper towels in order to sanitize better. I hope I can do this - I didn't consider the pet would be sick right off the bat :(
You can do this ---- no sand please get rid of it---- and yes to the NO enema!! They shouldnt need to do one w/ you bringing the stool in ---

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
I can't, I cleaned it up already. But I called the pet place and they said it must have a parasite :( Now we have to exchange him or wait 3 weeks for them to treat him :(
Hi, he's eating better and he had another poop, it was still very soft but more formed than before. I put it in a baggie to bring to the vet tomorrow. My probe thermometer is still saying his basking spot is only 80 degrees or so. I am using the 100 watt bulb that came wtih the kit but it's just not strong enough I think. I purchased a 160 watt bulb that comes today and hopefully that will help. There wasn't really an option above 160 watt. Maybe I can leave the original and simply add the 160 watt giving him 2 places to bask? Thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi, he's eating better and he had another poop, it was still very soft but more formed than before. I put it in a baggie to bring to the vet tomorrow. My probe thermometer is still saying his basking spot is only 80 degrees or so. I am using the 100 watt bulb that came wtih the kit but it's just not strong enough I think. I purchased a 160 watt bulb that comes today and hopefully that will help. There wasn't really an option above 160 watt. Maybe I can leave the original and simply add the 160 watt giving him 2 places to bask? Thoughts?
Are you putting the probe on the spot where he basks? Make sure you have the digital probe to get a actual surface basking temp-

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Are you putting the probe on the spot where he basks? Make sure you have the digital probe to get a actual surface basking temp-
Yes, got a digital probe therm and placing it on the rock that he basks on. It feels warm to the touch but the probe said 81 or similar. there is kind of a cover on the probe so don't know if the plastic piece keeps it from being very accurate or not. Do you think the 160W is going to work better? Right now I have a 50 gallon enclosure and one UVB light and one basking light of 100 W but it is 12 inches from the basking spot due to height of the tank overall. I'm so stressed about him being comfortable although he's moving around more and eating more today.

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Yes, got a digital probe therm and placing it on the rock that he basks on. It feels warm to the touch but the probe said 81 or similar. there is kind of a cover on the probe so don't know if the plastic piece keeps it from being very accurate or not. Do you think the 160W is going to work better? Right now I have a 50 gallon enclosure and one UVB light and one basking light of 100 W but it is 12 inches from the basking spot due to height of the tank overall. I'm so stressed about him being comfortable although he's moving around more and eating more today.
There is nothing I won't do or buy to make sure I have an ideal environment for him. My kids and I are already in love with him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom