New Here With Questions

abby2121

Beardie name(s)
Dart
Just got our 5 month old BD Sunday. Right out of the gate the basking lamp bulb didn't work so we had to use an old weak lamp from our praying mantis but today I put back in a workin 100W light for basking. He's stayed under it all day but has not eaten or drank anything so far. There are two crickets in there and some mealworms. When I hold my meat thermometer under the basking lamp right on his basking stone it only reads 85 degrees. It's been on since 2 pm this afternoon. Otherwise the humidity is at 50% and the regular tank temp is 80 degrees. Is he just too cold to eat? Will the 100w bulb be enough for him? I certainly don't see it getting to 100 degrees. Advice appreciated. He's basking, moving his head and eyes but rarely moving much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just got our 5 month old BD Sunday. Right out of the gate the basking lamp bulb didn't work so we had to use an old weak lamp from our praying mantis but today I put back in a workin 100W light for basking. He's stayed under it all day but has not eaten or drank anything so far. There are two crickets in there and some mealworms. When I hold my meat thermometer under the basking lamp right on his basking stone it only reads 85 degrees. It's been on since 2 pm this afternoon. Otherwise the humidity is at 50% and the regular tank temp is 80 degrees. Is he just too cold to eat? Will the 100w bulb be enough for him? I certainly don't see it getting to 100 degrees. Advice appreciated. He's basking, moving his head and eyes but rarely moving much.
Welcome to the forum---- first we must get your surface basking temps to 105-110 for now around 6 months that will change to 95-100 --- please get a digital probe thermometer 2 of them -- you need your surface basking temps to be correct the digital are the most accurate and he will not eat if this or the UVB is incorrect --- please NO coils for a UVB - you want one of the two I am going to post
24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank --- what is the tank size please?
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood if the tank is a 20 gallon use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it please let me know what you get so I can help you place it for the tank and the screen your using if the tank is a 40 gallon please get this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this one Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
Pet Smart is carrying this one -- he needs this fixes as soon as you can --- he wont last long not eating- please keep him hydrated -- please do not leave any crickets in the tank they can or will bite the dragon and meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs - I would hold off on those till hes around 6 months old -- you want him eating salads -- and I would get him switched over to dubia roaches they are a better feeder and buying on line is cheaper than the pet stores - you can get him some BSFL / nutri grubs from here along w/ some large super worms - feed those every other day 1-3 on his salads along w/ the nutri grubs - feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder --- great compliment to the dubias
www.dubiaroaches.com
but first we need to get the things I posted above correct first - your dragon will go thru relocation stress but he should be eating something -- nothing is not good

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Welcome to the forum---- first we must get your surface basking temps to 105-110 for now around 6 months that will change to 95-100 --- please get a digital probe thermometer 2 of them -- you need your surface basking temps to be correct the digital are the most accurate and he will not eat if this or the UVB is incorrect --- please NO coils for a UVB - you want one of the two I am going to post
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood if the tank is a 20 gallon use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it please let me know what you get so I can help you place it for the tank and the screen your using if the tank is a 40 gallon please get this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
Pet Smart is carrying this one -- he needs this fixes as soon as you can --- he wont last long not eating- please keep him hydrated -- please do not leave any crickets in the tank they can or will bite the dragon and meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs - I would hold off on those till hes around 6 months old -- you want him eating salads -- and I would get him switched over to dubia roaches they are a better feeder and buying on line is cheaper than the pet stores - you can get him some BSFL / nutri grubs from here along w/ some large super worms - feed those every other day 1-3 on his salads along w/ the nutri grubs - feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder --- great compliment to the dubias
www.dubiaroaches.com
but first we need to get the things I posted above correct first - your dragon will go thru relocation stress but he should be eating something -- nothing is not good
Hi So just now, we saw him eat one of the crickets, he also seems more lively and moving around more. So you are saying the 100W is not enough heat for him? They recommended mealworms but he hasn't touched those. There are 2 crickets left in his enclosure. He has a bowl full of collared greens (also suggested by petsmart). He also has a water bowl but not sure if I should put him on it or not. Most importantly, should I turn off the lights tonight to sleep or leave them on? I can buy a new bulb tomorrow.

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
www.dubiaroaches.com
I am confused about the bulbs you posted. He has a light bulb that came with the tank - it's a two bulb set and one is for light and the other is for basking. The bulbs you posted are only 25 watt.....his basking light is 100 watt. I'm trying to see if I need to go higher than 100 watts. temp in tank is 81 degrees, basking spot is 85 degrees but light has only been on for about 6 hours now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi So just now, we saw him eat one of the crickets, he also seems more lively and moving around more. So you are saying the 100W is not enough heat for him? They recommended mealworms but he hasn't touched those. There are 2 crickets left in his enclosure. He has a bowl full of collared greens (also suggested by petsmart). He also has a water bowl but not sure if I should put him on it or not. Most importantly, should I turn off the lights tonight to sleep or leave them on? I can buy a new bulb tomorrow.
You need the digital probe thermometers first before you do any changing of the bulbs - you do not want the surface temps too hot --- please get those and go from there - try 105-110 for now as dragons get to be around 6 months and older they do not like the real hot temps -- please do NOT listen to the Pet Smart people any more --- they often give more bad advice than good ---

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need the digital probe thermometers first before you do any changing of the bulbs - you do not want the surface temps too hot --- please get those and go from there - try 105-110 for now as dragons get to be around 6 months and older they do not like the real hot temps -- please do NOT listen to the Pet Smart people any more --- they often give more bad advice than good ---
I posted 2 UVB fixtures one is a Zoo Med one is a Arcadia - the Arcadia comes w/ a 12% bulb you can use that or the Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb good for small tanks like a 20 gallon if you have a tank that is 40 gallon you need the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 ------- good basking bulbs are Flukers ---- Zoo Med Repti basking ---- Exo Terra Intense ---- or Arcadia Halogen -- your not going to know exactly what the surface basking temps are until you get the digital probe thermometers -- those are a must to get those temps

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your dragon should be eating at least 25 crickets per feeding ---- he will not acclimate to his tank or eat like he should till the UVB is correct and the temps are correct please post a pic of the lighting your using -- I posted pics of the UVB's of what you should have

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
I do have a digital probe - that's what I'm going off of for temp. His basking rock surface isn't getting very hot but its a 100w bulb. The person I was listening to at Pet Smart owns 3 of them so I thought she knew what she was talking about. Tongiht when I turned off the basking light he ran to the glass and started scratchign at it so I turned it back on. I'll turn it off when I go to bed....just not sure he should be having light on so much

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I do have a digital probe - that's what I'm going off of for temp. His basking rock surface isn't getting very hot but its a 100w bulb. The person I was listening to at Pet Smart owns 3 of them so I thought she knew what she was talking about. Tongiht when I turned off the basking light he ran to the glass and started scratchign at it so I turned it back on. I'll turn it off when I go to bed....just not sure he should be having light on so much
Photo period 12 hrs on 12 hrs off- dragons like cool and dark 65-75 ambient temps - ok so you can increase wattage or try raising the basking decor

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Photo period 12 hrs on 12 hrs off- dragons like cool and dark 65-75 ambient temps - ok so you can increase wattage or try raising the basking decor
Thank you. He seemed not happy wtih the light off.
Also - their poop smells AWFUL. I assume that's normal but it's not easy to clean since he poops on his basking rock :/

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I would suggest forgetting just about everything the people at Petsmart told you. They are in the business of selling equipment and animals. The health of the animals they sell is not so much of a concern for them. If they sold you any colored bulbs, throw them out. If they sold you a UVB that is not a long tube shape, it is no good and should be replaced ASAP. Continue working with KarrieRee as far as lighting and temperature go to get everything sorted out for optimal dragon health. She's the best! Usually, once those things are on point, issues either go away, or they are much easier to pinpoint a solution for.

I am confused about how you are getting your temperatures. You mentioned a meat thermometer, but then went on to say you have a digital probe. Those are not the same thing. I'll post a link for the probe so you can see what is being talking about when someone mentions them. Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Bearded Dragon | PetSmart

I know this can all seem rather confusing, especially if you were given the wrong information to start out with. I, and a lot of other people, have definitely been there ourselves! It's a lot all at once, with a big learning curve, but usually smooth sailing once this part is sorted out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. He seemed not happy wtih the light off.
Also - their poop smells AWFUL. I assume that's normal but it's not easy to clean since he poops on his basking rock :/
He may have parasites - is the main staple crickets? And please post a pic of the poop - the poop needs to be formed dark and moist the urate needs to be white formed and moist - that is good poop -- really runny and stink to high heaven could be a sign of parasites - if you want call your vet preferably a reptile vet take a sample in for testing - No enemas if you take him in--- they often end in disaster especially when babies

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
Ok I'll check, I only smelled it, could not tell where it actually was. Someone else told me to leave a heating lamp on at night....I just want to make sure he's not cold

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Ok I'll check, I only smelled it, could not tell where it actually was. Someone else told me to leave a heating lamp on at night....I just want to make sure he's not cold
The only time they need heat at night is if temperatures are dropping below about 65°. They like it cool and completely dark at night. If it is getting that cold, a ceramic heat emitter can be used. They only give off heat, no light.

abby2121

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dart
He may have parasites - is the main staple crickets? And please post a pic of the poop - the poop needs to be formed dark and moist the urate needs to be white formed and moist - that is good poop -- really runny and stink to high heaven could be a sign of parasites - if you want call your vet preferably a reptile vet take a sample in for testing - No enemas if you take him in--- they often end in disaster especially when babies
Poop is looking like liquid or gel like black with some gel like white, not formed. Does this definitely mean parasites?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom