New/first beardie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
have the fixture go on top and the arcadia t5 12% is perfect for that. This depends on the screen -- if the screen is a fine mesh its still going to need to go inside the tank - the screen is going to block 30% of the rays - so we can determine that when you get the tank -- fine mesh like a screen door vs a wide hole screen - get the 40 gallon for now -- find a dresser if you have one and use that or look at some used furniture stores for a dresser w/ drawers to fit - I bought one for Blazes tank for $40 works great and I use the drawers for his supplies food extra bulb etc -- just get the measurements of the tank and go from there --

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I agree figure out what tank you’re getting and go from there. Remember you’re going to be going from a 20 to a 40 in a matter of a few months and then a few months after that you need bigger again. Just opt for a 40 gallon right now

newowner22

Original Poster
I wouldn't waste money getting a 20 gallon. The zoo med t5 fixture comes with a 5.0 which is fine for a 20 gallon but like I said I wouldn't waste my money on that. I would get the biggest I can afford, if it's a 40 gallon I would get that. And if I got a 40 gallon I wouldn't use a 5.0 because it would have to go inside under the screen and would rather have the fixture go on top and the arcadia t5 12% is perfect for that.

There are options for the lights but it all depends on what size tank you get. I would rather get what can be used the longest and save myself money instead of getting things that will have to be upgraded often.
So for you the 12% is really good? The other person helping me said the 10 would be better for a 40 gallon

newowner22

Original Poster
I agree figure out what tank you’re getting and go from there. Remember you’re going to be going from a 20 to a 40 in a matter of a few months and then a few months after that you need bigger again. Just opt for a 40 gallon right now
I’m about to go and get a 40 gallon tank later today and use my 10 for the bugs I get I’m going to keep my crickets in there until my Dubia roaches and stuff come in, so the
have the fixture go on top and the arcadia t5 12% is perfect for that. This depends on the screen -- if the screen is a fine mesh its still going to need to go inside the tank - the screen is going to block 30% of the rays - so we can determine that when you get the tank -- fine mesh like a screen door vs a wide hole screen - get the 40 gallon for now -- find a dresser if you have one and use that or look at some used furniture stores for a dresser w/ drawers to fit - I bought one for Blazes tank for $40 works great and I use the drawers for his supplies food extra bulb etc -- just get the measurements of the tank and go from there --
so you think the 12 would be good if I got a 40 gallon or just try to find the 10 my PetSmart has the 12% bulb same place I’m getting tank and thermometer and bask bulb

newowner22

Original Poster
I’m going to figure out where to put her but for now I’m going to put her new 40 tank on the floor for a little

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So for you the 12% is really good? The other person helping me said the 10 would be better for a 40 gallon
Anything 40+ gallon needs a 10.0 Reptisun T5 bulb which is similar to a Arcadia 12% bulb -- they both need the distances whether in the tank or top of screen that will be determined by the holes in the screen-- a Arcadia 10 % bulb would be like a 5.0 bulb --- not as strong-- 40 gallon you need the Arcadia Pro T 5 that is the fixture w/ a 12% bulb -- this is a good fixture

newowner22

Original Poster
Anything 40+ gallon needs a 10.0 Reptisun T5 bulb which is similar to a Arcadia 12% bulb -- they both need the distances whether in the tank or top of screen that will be determined by the holes in the screen-- a Arcadia 10 % bulb would be like a 5.0 bulb --- not as strong-- 40 gallon you need the Arcadia Pro T 5 that is the fixture w/ a 12% bulb -- this is a good fixture
So I got the basking bulb you said I got a lamp stand I got some more small crickets for now until the other stuff comes in I got the 40 gallon tank and a background so she wouldn’t surf on the glass as much seeing her reflection, will show you new set up when get home neither pet smart had the right bulb or hood so I ordered off the link you sent and it should be here hopefully in two days, so now that I got a way bigger is it still a bad idea to use rhe reptisun coil bulb until the other one comes in? And how far should both lights be away from the basking rock

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I got the basking bulb you said I got a lamp stand I got some more small crickets for now until the other stuff comes in I got the 40 gallon tank and a background so she wouldn’t surf on the glass as much seeing her reflection, will show you new set up when get home neither pet smart had the right bulb or hood so I ordered off the link you sent and it should be here hopefully in two days, so now that I got a way bigger is it still a bad idea to use rhe reptisun coil bulb until the other one comes in? And how far should both lights be away from the basking rock
What uvb did you order - the zoo med or the Arcadia? Please leave the coil off she should be ok for a few more days- basking distance for the basking bulb no closer than 6"-- depending on your screen and the uvb bulb what bulb did you get- once I know what the screen is fine mesh or wide hole and that bulb will determine placement and distance

newowner22

Original Poster
What uvb did you order - the zoo med or the Arcadia? Please leave the coil off she should be ok for a few more days- basking distance for the basking bulb no closer than 6"-- depending on your screen and the uvb bulb what bulb did you get- once I know what the screen is fine mesh or wide hole and that bulb will determine placement and distance
I the T5 10.0 reptisun is what you said I needed right, and do you mean I should put the hood like across diagonal kinda?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 78

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I the T5 10.0 reptisun is what you said I needed right, and do you mean I should put the hood like across diagonal kinda?
Where is the screen? Please post a pic of the screen --- he is so little -- please get a temp off that rock hes sitting on --- place the probe on the spot where hes sitting and get a temp w/ the 75 watt I have a feeling for that 40 gallon tank your going to need to go up on wattage --- I would take the 75 back and get one 100 watt and one 150 watt --- get a temp off the 75 watt and see what its reading - the 75 watt was for your 20 gallon or so we thought - w/ a bigger tank your going to need a higher wattage bulb -- but you must get temps first -- did you get the digital probe thermometers? It is trial and error w/ the basking bulbs but you need that probe to do that -- I will help you get that UVB placed when it comes but I need to see the screen first

newowner22

Original Poster
Where is the screen? Please post a pic of the screen --- he is so little -- please get a temp off that rock hes sitting on --- place the probe on the spot where hes sitting and get a temp w/ the 75 watt I have a feeling for that 40 gallon tank your going to need to go up on wattage --- I would take the 75 back and get one 100 watt and one 150 watt --- get a temp off the 75 watt and see what its reading - the 75 watt was for your 20 gallon or so we thought - w/ a bigger tank your going to need a higher wattage bulb -- but you must get temps first -- did you get the digital probe thermometers? It is trial and error w/ the basking bulbs but you need that probe to do that -- I will help you get that UVB placed when it comes but I need to see the screen first
Put Screen on? It’s a pretty fine mesh. So what should I do for the day the pet store is a little over an hour away, I could use the 60 watt one I had with it but I would have to put the screen on because only got one stand for now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 76

newowner22

Original Poster
Still going up very slowly will update when it gets to a steady temp, the probe is right next to her foot..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 66

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Put Screen on? It’s a pretty fine mesh. So what should I do for the day the pet store is a little over an hour away, I could use the 60 watt one I had with it but I would have to put the screen on because only got one stand for now
No it's possible it's going to get too hot- did you get the probe thermometers - those are crucial- the uvb will need to go into the tank or leave it off place on the end of the tank width wise - distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Still going up very slowly will update when it gets to a steady temp, the probe is right next to her foot..
Ok good it looks like it's 102? If that is the case you will not need a higher wattage just keep watching it -- in the morning get a temp of the tank before lights on - 65 or higher is good- those probed will give you ambient temps

newowner22

Original Poster
Ok good it looks like it's 102? If that is the case you will not need a higher wattage just keep watching it -- in the morning get a temp of the tank before lights on - 65 or higher is good- those probed will give you ambient temps
It’s at a steady 107 from where she is and I just fed her around 10 crickets she loved it

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom