New/first beardie

newowner22

Original Poster
Your tank is way too small. It doesn't look like a 20 it looks like a 10 gallon. Personally I would get a large storage tote for now if you can't afford a bigger tank. I would also just get the arcadia set that petsmart sells in store now. It'll come with the 12% which is too strong for your small tank but will work with a large storage tote plus your bigger tank when you can afford it.
You said use the 12 on a 20 gallon tank

SPandS

Juvie Member
The arcadia t5 12% is a strong bulb that may even be too strong for a 20 gallon. I'm not sure what it's dimensions are. And unless you get a 20 gallon used with a very good price I wouldn't even bother as it will need to be upgraded again in a few months. I would either find a bigger used tank on someplace like craigslist or Facebook marketplace or just get a storage tote for now. The arcadia t5 12%, the one I linked to at petsmart should work just fine with a storage tote or if you can find a cheap 40 gallon. Which will still have to be upgraded down the line as a 4x2x2 is what's mostly recommended for an adult.

newowner22

Original Poster
The arcadia t5 12% is a strong bulb that may even be too strong for a 20 gallon. I'm not sure what it's dimensions are. And unless you get a 20 gallon used with a very good price I wouldn't even bother as it will need to be upgraded again in a few months. I would either find a bigger used tank on someplace like craigslist or Facebook marketplace or just get a storage tote for now. The arcadia t5 12%, the one I linked to at petsmart should work just fine with a storage tote or if you can find a cheap 40 gallon. Which will still have to be upgraded down the line as a 4x2x2 is what's mostly recommended for an adult.
You think I should just get a 40 gallon now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yeah like the other person said I never realized my tank was ten gallons I’m going to have to switch it all up today I’m pretty sure someone at the pet store said it was 20 gallons and it would be good for a baby, also if I got an Arcadia light from the pet store today what would you recommend
Still get the one I recommended the 5.0 bulb is going to be fine but you really need to get a bigger tank that 10 gallon tank is way too small --- they shouldnt even be selling those for dragons - that tank can be used for roaches -- since your needing a bigger tank already go as big as you can but beware anything smaller than a 75 your going to haft to get another one -- she will outgrow a 40 as well she can be in the 40 gallon for awhile -- also I recommend watching your temps small tanks are very hard to keep basking temps - you may haft to drop to a 50 watt so please watch the temps - its going to be the same set up put the UVB on one end and the basking same place beside it this place should of never sold you a 10 gallon tank for a dragon - they clearly do NOT know what they are doing and are you taking you for a ride --

newowner22

Original Poster
NO the Arcadia is too strong for a 10 gallon tank if that is what your talking about still use the Zoo Med fixture w/ the 5.0 bulb
So if I got a 20 how long do you think I’d keep it for because I can afford the 40 gallon tank to get today but it wouldn’t fit on the stand I have, should I just use the tub like they said?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So if I got a 20 how long do you think I’d keep it for because I can afford the 40 gallon tank to get today but it wouldn’t fit on the stand I have, should I just use the tub like they said?
She would only be in the 20 gallon for a couple of months - like till around 4 months- guessing depends on how fast she grows are you buying a 20 gallon - please look on FB marketplace or Craigslist -- see if you can find one a 40 w/ front doors - but you need to get her out of the 10 for sure

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
You have a matter of few months before getting 40 gallon from a 20. If your getting 20 mine as well get the 40 because around a year old you’ll need bigger again. This is the one she is talking about for the 40 gallon. Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
Yes you need to get it out of the 10 gal. Don’t run that heat emitter in that 10 gallon it will get to hot at that wattage.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
In a few months you would need a 40 and then a few months after that you would need even bigger you’d be buying three tanks in a years time try to get a 40 now

newowner22

Original Poster
Still get the one I recommended the 5.0 bulb is going to be fine but you really need to get a bigger tank that 10 gallon tank is way too small --- they shouldnt even be selling those for dragons - that tank can be used for roaches -- since your needing a bigger tank already go as big as you can but beware anything smaller than a 75 your going to haft to get another one -- she will outgrow a 40 as well she can be in the 40 gallon for awhile -- also I recommend watching your temps small tanks are very hard to keep basking temps - you may haft to drop to a 50 watt so please watch the temps - its going to be the same set up put the UVB on one end and the basking same place beside it this place should of never sold you a 10 gallon tank for a dragon - they clearly do NOT know what they are doing and are you taking you for a ride --
I was asking which tank would be the best for its size and everything the best and they said this kit with that tank and mini halogen bulbs, they blew really fast literally a couple hours even though the bulb and the fixture came in the kit, another question I have right now is how will I get the lamp straight facing on the basking spot with no screen, they have clamps but they don’t fully go straight down because of the clamp hits the lamp part and it won’t go down straight so it’s facing front a little..sorry for soooo many questions

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Yeah do not take their advice those pet stores are more of a place you go to when you know what you’re looking for. If they have the slightest idea of what they were doing their bearded dragon enclosures would not be ran at 80° with 60% humidity. When I first got my bearded dragon I spent over $300 at Petsmart just to find out that it was all useless a matter of fact was bad. LOL big chains don’t care

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I was asking which tank would be the best for its size and everything the best and they said this kit with that tank and mini halogen bulbs, they blew really fast literally a couple hours even though the bulb and the fixture came in the kit, another question I have right now is how will I get the lamp straight facing on the basking spot with no screen, they have clamps but they don’t fully go straight down because of the clamp hits the lamp part and it won’t go down straight so it’s facing front a little..sorry for soooo many questions
Please look at the pic I posted -- you were asking the pet store people???? They give bad advice and have not a clue to what they were talking about--- if you get a 20 gallon for now use the 5.0 bulb I posted -- do not go w/ the Arcadia they are too strong - the Zoo Med will give you a two in one -- the 5.0 bulb for the 10 and 20 gallon -- the Reptisun 22" 10.0 T 5 for a 40 + gallon tank --- this fixture will be more usable as it can fit two different strength bulbs --- I dont want to confuse you any more than I need too -- An Arcadia can be used and you would need a 10% bulb not the 12% -- I dont know if your Pet Smart carries them --

SPandS

Juvie Member
I wouldn't waste money getting a 20 gallon. The zoo med t5 fixture comes with a 5.0 which is fine for a 20 gallon but like I said I wouldn't waste my money on that. I would get the biggest I can afford, if it's a 40 gallon I would get that. And if I got a 40 gallon I wouldn't use a 5.0 because it would have to go inside under the screen and would rather have the fixture go on top and the arcadia t5 12% is perfect for that.

There are options for the lights but it all depends on what size tank you get. I would rather get what can be used the longest and save myself money instead of getting things that will have to be upgraded often.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom