New/first beardie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do you think the 60 watt back bulb would be between than emitter until I get the other ones? Because he did eat a little yesterday when the bulb was in there, anything I can do about feeding for today Since he won’t eat with the reptisun 10.0, the one I have is like two long loops as the bulb
Yes what you described is a coil --- not good --- use the heat emitter and the 60 watt bulb -- do you have a stick on for temps? if you do place the stick on on the side of the basking hot side see what the ambient temp is reading -- please tell me -- the basking bulb is going to give him UVA which he needs --- his eating is going to be off and its good he ate but as time goes by if these things are not corrected he will quit eating all together -- you need the 5.0 bulb for now like I described in my first post you wont need the 10.0 bulb till hes in a bigger tank -- 10.0 bulbs are used for a tank 40+ gallon --

newowner22

Original Poster
Yes what you described is a coil --- not good --- use the heat emitter and the 60 watt bulb -- do you have a stick on for temps? if you do place the stick on on the side of the basking hot side see what the ambient temp is reading -- please tell me -- the basking bulb is going to give him UVA which he needs --- his eating is going to be off and its good he ate but as time goes by if these things are not corrected he will quit eating all together -- you need the 5.0 bulb for now like I described in my first post you wont need the 10.0 bulb till hes in a bigger tank -- 10.0 bulbs are used for a tank 40+ gallon --
Okay thank you I’m gonna order all this stuff today if the pet stores me don’t have them in stock to order online for when I go tomorrow, currently at work and my girlfriend said she ate 2 crickets today and so far no more throw up. And you suggest just turning the uvb off and she can get it from the bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay thank you I’m gonna order all this stuff today if the pet stores me don’t have them in stock to order online for when I go tomorrow, currently at work and my girlfriend said she ate 2 crickets today and so far no more throw up. And you suggest just turning the uvb off and she can get it from the bulb
She needs the basking bulb (60 watt) the coil I would shut it off - they should have the 75 watt basking bulb and the digital probe thermometer- if they don't have the zoo med digital probe thermometer- get one similar to-- the 24" zoo med hood/ fixture is iffy most do not carry the 24" fixture-- only 18 and 20"-- she can go a few days or w/ out the uvb- please get a ambient temp w/ the heat emitter and basking bulb on- then let me know what it is- she cannot get uvb rays from the basking bulb only UVA those are different from the rays

newowner22

Original Poster
She needs the basking bulb (60 watt) the coil I would shut it off - they should have the 75 watt basking bulb and the digital probe thermometer- if they don't have the zoo med digital probe thermometer- get one similar to-- the 24" zoo med hood/ fixture is iffy most do not carry the 24" fixture-- only 18 and 20"-- she can go a few days or w/ out the uvb- please get a ambient temp w/ the heat emitter and basking bulb on- then let me know what it is- she cannot get uvb rays from the basking bulb only UVA those are different from the rays
My cool side is usually 83-88 during the day and 105bon the rock with the heat emitter an like 90-95 around the warm side all throughout the day I haven’t been home today since first post so don’t know with both lamp and emitter on, should I keep the emitter over rock or the lamp, the emitter gets it hotter but she only eats with that light… the picture I sent is the set up the 2 on the left are the ones you said keep on and the lamp in over her rock

Attachments

• 88C6176D-823F-4C0F-B99A-3CA03553402D.jpeg
    88C6176D-823F-4C0F-B99A-3CA03553402D.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 106

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My cool side is usually 83-88 during the day and 105bon the rock with the heat emitter an like 90-95 around the warm side all throughout the day I haven’t been home today since first post so don’t know with both lamp and emitter on, should I keep the emitter over rock or the lamp, the emitter gets it hotter but she only eats with that light… the picture I sent is the set up the 2 on the left are the ones you said keep on and the lamp in over her rock
Yes keep the basking lamp over the rock shes basking on-- how did you get those temps? Thats why I said you need the solid bright white basking bulb and I am glad shes eating --- when you get all this corrected and she starts adjusting to her surroundings and acclimates to her tank she will eat a whole lot more ---she should be eating 20-25 crickets per feeding and should be fed 2-3 times per day please start feeding her salads every morning after she wakes up like an hr or so then feed him /her -- you want her started on salads even she only eats a little bit -- her main diet is protein like crickets dubia roaches silk worms and BSFL -I recommend you get some of these now --- can you post a pic of her so I can see how big she is --
Kale is a good staple feeder --
Ok so the UVB is what is going to help her absorb her calcium - it prevents all kinds of health issues one being MBD -- please look that up -- the UVB you have coming the 5.0 is good for 6 months I recommend changing it out in 5-- the 10.0 T 5 is good for a year please change it out a month prior to install --
lets talk calcium supplements --- please dust the crickets/ insects ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 5 x per week vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding 2 x per week -- if you have anymore questions please ask

newowner22

Original Poster
Yes keep the basking lamp over the rock shes basking on-- how did you get those temps? Thats why I said you need the solid bright white basking bulb and I am glad shes eating --- when you get all this corrected and she starts adjusting to her surroundings and acclimates to her tank she will eat a whole lot more ---she should be eating 20-25 crickets per feeding and should be fed 2-3 times per day please start feeding her salads every morning after she wakes up like an hr or so then feed him /her -- you want her started on salads even she only eats a little bit -- her main diet is protein like crickets dubia roaches silk worms and BSFL -I recommend you get some of these now --- can you post a pic of her so I can see how big she is --
Ok so the UVB is what is going to help her absorb her calcium - it prevents all kinds of health issues one being MBD -- please look that up -- the UVB you have coming the 5.0 is good for 6 months I recommend changing it out in 5-- the 10.0 T 5 is good for a year please change it out a month prior to install --
lets talk calcium supplements --- please dust the crickets/ insects ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 5 x per week vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding 2 x per week -- if you have anymore questions please ask
Any certain things you can show or links to send that I should be feeding, here’s pics of the food I give the calcium powder and how I got the temp, just got home now looking to see if there’s any way I could pick the stuff on petsmart up tomorrow so I don’t have to wait for shipping but the uvb bulb u sent I’ll have to order online, if it doesn’t come in a few days would it be a good idea to put the uvb I have all the way on the cool side so it doesn’t bother her as much..will it make the cool side to warm? Thank you for all the help seriously it’s a little stressful I don’t want her to be unhappy or unhealthy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 91

newowner22

Original Poster
Also this is what someone on Reddit said, I don’t think I asked about humidity on here so just let me know if you agree or disagree with anything they said,

Attachments

• BD836122-58B7-4DE2-9B5B-2DB63F385D62.jpg
    BD836122-58B7-4DE2-9B5B-2DB63F385D62.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 80

newowner22

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum-- first you need a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps to 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
Exo Terra® Intense Basking Spot Light | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart I used this in my 20 gallon tank a 75 watt
2 of these Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart
since you have a 20 gallon tank I would get a Zoo Med 24" fixture it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used for your 20 gallon tank - it will need to be unobstructed No screen please placed on one end of the tank going width wise and a piece of decor directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches -- the dragon will not be in the tank long he will need to go into a bigger tank by the time hes a year then the bulb your using for the 20 gallon will need to be upgraded to the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- your basking bulb can be set up on the screen which should be butted up to the UVB fixture
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this is the most cost effective for you now - its best to get the longer hood now -- most pet stores do not carry the length I am recommending only the 18 and 20 inch hoods which are T 8's -- please get this right away -- your dragon is not getting any UVA w/ the heat emitter your using and you didnt mention a UVB so I am assuming your using a coil which are not good and will cause all kinds of health issues along w/ improper surface basking temps -- this controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon - he is probably really stressed out w/ improper lighting and the baby could be upsetting him as well but for now lets get the tank set up correctly -- he will not eat w/ out all this stuff being corrected
So with the link you sent for the hood which options would I select because I only see 14” and 24” and I think my tank is only 20”L 10”W 12”H someone said that was too small for even a baby when I showed the pic on Reddit

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also this is what someone on Reddit said, I don’t think I asked about humidity on here so just let me know if you agree or disagree with anything they said
Your 20 gallon tank is fine till she's around 5 months unless she grows really fast- optimal humidity is 40-50 % -- please no meal worms they are too hard on babies stomachs - the crickets are live? Those are expensive you want to get them bagged but you will need a cricket keeper I suggest you go here www.dubiaroaches.com please order roaches no bigger than the space between her eyes look at the chart- get yourself a 10 gallon tank look on FB market place or craigslist order like 200 roaches she will eat 10-15 at a time but if you feed her salads and these bsfl also known as nutri grubs on top of her salads as many as you want you don't need to dust them they are a great staple feeder and lure to her salad bowl hand feed her to start hand taming as well- your calcium is good please get the vitamin w/ beta carotene- also order some small super worms good for salad lures 1-3 every other day- I will post a website tomorrow for a salad bowl that works good- please be careful when asking for advice on Reddit the one good thing I saw on that post was the uvb but for your tank it's too strong- you want that 5.0 bulb for now--

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So with the link you sent for the hood which options would I select because I only see 14” and 24” and I think my tank is only 20”L 10”W 12”H someone said that was too small for even a baby when I showed the pic on Reddit
The 14" is too small you want the 24" use the drop down I will show you how to set it up on your tank-- this fixture comes w/ the 5.0 bulb you want that for now

newowner22

Original Poster
The 14" is too small you want the 24" use the drop down I will show you how to set it up on your tank-- this fixture comes w/ the 5.0 bulb you want that for now

Thank you and that post was before I found this forum if I found this first would have never went on there anyways. And okay I’m going tomorrow morning to get the new bask bulb and thermometers and ordering the uvb fixture , so I will come on here for help with them if needed , when you said with no screen you mean put it on the inside of the tank? Or you meant something else..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you and that post was before I found this forum if I found this first would have never went on there anyways. And okay I’m going tomorrow morning to get the new bask bulb and thermometers and ordering the uvb fixture , so I will come on here for help with them if needed , when you said with no screen you mean put it on the inside of the tank? Or you meant something else..
Please take the screen off or place the UVB fixture on the end of the tank sitting width wise across then take the basking bulb and butt it up to the UVB fixture - that ways shes getting both of the lights at the same time - make sure your basking decor piece is directly under the UVB - get a temp after you get it placed - 105-110 for her -- as she get older juvenile age 5-6 months her temp for basking will change - she wont like the temps so hot 95-100- here is my 20 gallon for reference - I used a clamp for the basking light and had it on the end - the UVB was placed in the middle of the tank - the lamp hanging was a heat emitter and not used -- - I had the screen off - so if you want to use your screen put the UVB on the end of the tank and butt your screen up to it placing the basking light on it

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 75

SPandS

Juvie Member
Your tank is way too small. It doesn't look like a 20 it looks like a 10 gallon. Personally I would get a large storage tote for now if you can't afford a bigger tank. I would also just get the arcadia set that petsmart sells in store now. It'll come with the 12% which is too strong for your small tank but will work with a large storage tote plus your bigger tank when you can afford it.

newowner22

Original Poster
Please take the screen off or place the UVB fixture on the end of the tank sitting width wise across then take the basking bulb and butt it up to the UVB fixture - that ways shes getting both of the lights at the same time - make sure your basking decor piece is directly under the UVB - get a temp after you get it placed - 105-110 for her -- as she get older juvenile age 5-6 months her temp for basking will change - she wont like the temps so hot 95-100- here is my 20 gallon for reference - I used a clamp for the basking light and had it on the end - the UVB was placed in the middle of the tank - the lamp hanging was a heat emitter and not used -- - I had the screen off - so if you want to use your screen put the UVB on the end of the tank and butt your screen up to it placing the basking light on it
Yeah like the other person said I never realized my tank was ten gallons I’m going to have to switch it all up today I’m pretty sure someone at the pet store said it was 20 gallons and it would be good for a baby, also if I got an Arcadia light from the pet store today what would you recommend

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom