New/first beardie

It’s been 2 days since I got him and he’s been glass surfing a lot especially today, can’t tel if he’s stressed he’s a baby right now maybe a month to 2 months maybe not an expert yet, I don’t know if it’s relocation stress or lighting I’m using a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter over his rock and the reptisun 10.0 I heard a few bad things after I had got that already but I also heard it was a better one, so I’m just hoping everything with them is alright he threw up yesterday a couple hours after he had a few worms that’s when I had a 60 watt basking bulb but I thought the heat wasn’t hot enough to help him digest so I got the emitter, I still have a lot of questions and I’ll have more as we get used to each other, any help or recommendations helps a lot… also I have a toddler in the house who cries a lot could that effect his stress at all if she’s too loud, she’s not in the room with him when crying and I put a towel over the cool side so it wasn’t too loud for him. Tank is only a 20 gallon for now but he has a good amount of room with water bowl food bowl bask rock hiding place and a rock cave he can climb up

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It’s been 2 days since I got him and he’s been glass surfing a lot especially today, can’t tel if he’s stressed he’s a baby right now maybe a month to 2 months maybe not an expert yet, I don’t know if it’s relocation stress or lighting I’m using a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter over his rock and the reptisun 10.0 I heard a few bad things after I had got that already but I also heard it was a better one, so I’m just hoping everything with them is alright he threw up yesterday a couple hours after he had a few worms that’s when I had a 60 watt basking bulb but I thought the heat wasn’t hot enough to help him digest so I got the emitter, I still have a lot of questions and I’ll have more as we get used to each other, any help or recommendations helps a lot… also I have a toddler in the house who cries a lot could that effect his stress at all if she’s too loud, she’s not in the room with him when crying and I put a towel over the cool side so it wasn’t too loud for him. Tank is only a 20 gallon for now but he has a good amount of room with water bowl food bowl bask rock hiding place and a rock cave he can climb up
Welcome to the forum-- first you need a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps to 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
Exo Terra® Intense Basking Spot Light | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart I used this in my 20 gallon tank a 75 watt
2 of these Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart
since you have a 20 gallon tank I would get a Zoo Med 24" fixture it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used for your 20 gallon tank - it will need to be unobstructed No screen please placed on one end of the tank going width wise and a piece of decor directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches -- the dragon will not be in the tank long he will need to go into a bigger tank by the time hes a year then the bulb your using for the 20 gallon will need to be upgraded to the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- your basking bulb can be set up on the screen which should be butted up to the UVB fixture
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this is the most cost effective for you now - its best to get the longer hood now -- most pet stores do not carry the length I am recommending only the 18 and 20 inch hoods which are T 8's -- please get this right away -- your dragon is not getting any UVA w/ the heat emitter your using and you didnt mention a UVB so I am assuming your using a coil which are not good and will cause all kinds of health issues along w/ improper surface basking temps -- this controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon - he is probably really stressed out w/ improper lighting and the baby could be upsetting him as well but for now lets get the tank set up correctly -- he will not eat w/ out all this stuff being corrected

Last edited:

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
You have a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube or the coil bulb? If it’s the coil you are correct in it not being good you need a T5 HO fluorescent tube uvb. The coils don’t produce enough uv and are associated with eye problems. The uvb is the most important part aside from the temperatures. They cannot function properly without it. What kind of worms are you feeding the baby. I dont recommend feeding meal worms or super worms too young and can cause impactions. Especially will your setup not being up to par yet. I would get pinhead crickets very small. Or if you have the money go onto dubiaroaches.com for baby roaches. You never want to feed anything bigger than the space between their eyes. Also black soldier fly larvae are great and full of protein and calcium so much calcium they don’t even need to be dusted. Very easy on baby and beneficial for growth. The heat emitter does not put off uva which bask bulbs do. How are you reading your temps? Do you have a digital probe thermometer the stick on analog ones are very inaccurate.

newowner22

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum-- first you need a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps to 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
Exo Terra® Intense Basking Spot Light | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart I used this in my 20 gallon tank a 75 watt
2 of these Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart
since you have a 20 gallon tank I would get a Zoo Med 24" fixture it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used for your 20 gallon tank - it will need to be unobstructed No screen please placed on one end of the tank going length wise and a piece of decor directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches -- the dragon will not be in the tank long he will need to go into a bigger tank by the time hes a year then the bulb your using for the 20 gallon will need to be upgraded to the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this is the most cost effective for you now - its best to get the longer hood now -- most pet stores do not carry the length I am recommending only the 18 and 20 inch hoods which are T 8's -- please get this right away -- your dragon is not getting any UVA w/ the heat emitter your using and you didnt mention a UVB so I am assuming your using a coil which are not good and will cause all kinds of health issues along w/ improper surface basking temps -- this controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon - he is probably really stressed out w/ improper lighting and the baby could be upsetting him as well but for now lets get the tank set up correctly -- he will not eat w/ out all this stuff being corrected
You have a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube or the coil bulb? If it’s the coil you are correct in it not being good you need a T5 HO fluorescent tube uvb. The coils don’t produce enough uv and are associated with eye problems. The uvb is the most important part aside from the temperatures. They cannot function properly without it. What kind of worms are you feeding the baby. I dont recommend feeding meal worms or super worms too young and can cause impactions. Especially will your setup not being up to par yet. I would get pinhead crickets very small. Or if you have the money go onto dubiaroaches.com for baby roaches. You never want to feed anything bigger than the space between their eyes. Also black soldier fly larvae are great and full of protein and calcium so much calcium they don’t even need to be dusted. Very easy on baby and beneficial for growth. The heat emitter does not put off uva which bask bulbs do. How are you reading your temps? Do you have a digital probe thermometer the stick on analog ones are very inaccurate.
since you have a 20 gallon tank I would get a Zoo Med 24" fixture it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used for your 20 gallon tank - it will need to be unobstructed No screen please placed on one end of the tank going width wise and a piece of decor directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches -- the dragon will not be in the tank long he will need to go into a bigger tank by the time hes a year then the bulb your using for the 20 gallon will need to be upgraded to the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- your basking bulb can be set up on the screen which should be butted up to the UVB fixture
Okay so what is the most important things I’ll need in the next couple days that I can order fast shipping? Websites and products?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay so what is the most important things I’ll need in the next couple days that I can order fast shipping? Websites and products?
Your basking bulb can be found at Pet Smart or Petco along w/ the digital probe thermometers - the UVB I would order from Pangea they are fast and good - they ship Fed Ex -- please check there for the UVB-- Pet Smart and Petco dont usually carry the 24" fixture only the 18 and 20" -- when you get the UVB if you need help getting it set up for your tank I will post a pic of my 20 gallon for reference

newowner22

Original Poster
The pet store literally told me to do everything you saying is bad😣🤦‍♂️

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
The pet store literally told me to do everything you saying is bad😣🤦‍♂️
They do that I was also a victim of a petco. Don’t feel bad these are people that should know what they are doing. This forum saved our butts too. Karrie knows what she’s talking about look at those links she sent you.

newowner22

Original Poster
Your basking bulb can be found at Pet Smart or Petco along w/ the digital probe thermometers - the UVB I would order from Pangea they are fast and good - they ship Fed Ex -- please check there for the UVB-- Pet Smart and Petco dont usually carry the 24" fixture only the 18 and 20" -- when you get the UVB if you need help getting it set up for your tank I will post a pic of my 20 gallon for reference
I had a 60 watt basking lamp and that’s when he threw up so the heat emitter was the closest alternative I coulda got yesterday, tomorrow Ik going to go to some stores and see what I find and return the stuff u said I shouldn’t use,would the 60 watt heat lamp bulb be better than emitter I have for today and what do I do Ab feeding today..this is really stressful u just want to do it right for the poor baby beardie it almost makes me cry fr.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Those exo terra bulbs intense heat, are great bulbs she also sent you link for that they have them at petsmart and petcos. That you should be able to trade your 60 watt towards that. Get the order in for uvb ASAP and then gather the temp/humidity probes and bulb at store tomorrow. I would get some crickets too smallest you can find. Nothing bigger than eyes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I had a 60 watt basking lamp and that’s when he threw up so the heat emitter was the closest alternative I coulda got yesterday, tomorrow Ik going to go to some stores and see what I find and return the stuff u said I shouldn’t use,would the 60 watt heat lamp bulb be better than emitter I have for today and what do I do Ab feeding today..this is really stressful u just want to do it right for the poor baby beardie it almost makes me cry fr.
yes please use the 60 watt for now its not going to get the temps to what he needs for digestion as that is what the heat does -- please get the digital probes thats going to give you actual surface basking temps place on the spot where he sits for basking wait 10 min or so you dont need to leave the probe there place on the side of the basking and spot check every 10 days or so - the heat emitter keep incase you ever need it for night time temps falling below in your tank if it goes under 65 you would need it -- the Arcadia Longfellow mentioned is another good one but for your 20 gallon I would get the Zoo Med as then you wont haft to buy another UVB later the 12 % bulb would be too strong for your 20 gallon --- you can upgrade your bulb later w/ out having to buy a whole new fixture --

newowner22

Original Poster
Do you think the 60 watt back bulb would be between than emitter until I get the other ones? Because he did eat a little yesterday when the bulb was in there, anything I can do about feeding for today Since he won’t eat with the reptisun 10.0, the one I have is like two long loops as the bulb

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom