New/first beardie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It’s at a steady 107 from where she is and I just fed her around 10 crickets she loved it
Good deal - the best thing about those lamp stands is you can lower and raise them adjusting those temps-- ok now start w/ some salads for her in the morning - did you get any roaches or bsfl ordered ? When the uvb in comes in set it up on the end of your tank going width wise and the basking decor 12-15 inches- let me know if you need help-

newowner22

Original Poster
That’s great news! Well done your doing good by that baby. So now just waiting on uvb huh?
Good deal - the best thing about those lamp stands is you can lower and raise them adjusting those temps-- ok now start w/ some salads for her in the morning - did you get any roaches or bsfl ordered ? When the uvb in comes in set it up on the end of your tank going width wise and the basking decor 12-15 inches- let me know if you need help-
I’m about to order the small dubia roaches, question.. would they be able to co live with the crickets I kee in the 10g tank or keep them apart

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m about to order the small dubia roaches, question.. would they be able to co live with the crickets I kee in the 10g tank or keep them apart
I would not- I would feed the crickets up clean your tank real good and feed dubia food and dubia dew- also you can feed what your dragon eats- I have found they aren't hot on greens- squash carrots don't feed the dragon carrots too to much vitamin A-- the like fruit oranges

newowner22

Original Poster
I would not- I would feed the crickets up clean your tank real good and feed dubia food and dubia dew- also you can feed what your dragon eats- I have found they aren't hot on greens- squash carrots don't feed the dragon carrots too to much vitamin A-- the like fruit oranges
I feel like She’s loving this upgrade, and okay will do thank you for all the help…will update when anything changes or I have any questions.. bulb should be here around 3 days hopefully. She had another feed tonight another like 8 or so crickets and this time I put calcium powder, I know it’s not bad but she was just licking the little bits of calcium that fell off the crickets on to her floor. She’s been letting her mouth open while basking now and everything but I don’t want her to be too hot. We’re pretty sure it’s a girl we seen the little dent under between belly and tail meet. Will do another check once I know more about what it would look like either gender and it gets a little bit bigger

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I feel like She’s loving this upgrade, and okay will do thank you for all the help…will update when anything changes or I have any questions.. bulb should be here around 3 days hopefully. She had another feed tonight another like 8 or so crickets and this time I put calcium powder, I know it’s not bad but she was just licking the little bits of calcium that fell off the crickets on to her floor. She’s been letting her mouth open while basking now and everything but I don’t want her to be too hot. We’re pretty sure it’s a girl we seen the little dent under between belly and tail meet. Will do another check once I know more about what it would look like either gender and it gets a little bit bigger
Shes gaping which is good shes adjusting her body temp-- we wont be able to determine her gender till shes around 5-6 months old if then -- we can see later --the UVB is what is going to help her absorb her calcium -- which also prevents health issues as well --

newowner22

Original Poster
Shes gaping which is good shes adjusting her body temp-- we wont be able to determine her gender till shes around 5-6 months old if then -- we can see later --the UVB is what is going to help her absorb her calcium -- which also prevents health issues as well --
Don’t remember if I asked already but you said the 24” would be good for the 40 right the one that I bought only came with a 5.0 bulb so I had to buy the extra bulb and just making sure I got the right stuff before it gets here🤞 my tanks is 36”L x 18”W x1”H

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Don’t remember if I asked already but you said the 24” would be good for the 40 right the one that I bought only came with a 5.0 bulb so I had to buy the extra bulb and just making sure I got the right stuff before it gets here🤞 my tanks is 36”L x 18”W x1”H
Yes 24" fixture-- that fixture will go into a 75 or a 120 gallon - same bulb-- this bulb needs to changed out in 1 year I recommend a month prior to- please mark your calendar

newowner22

Original Poster
Yes 24" fixture-- that fixture will go into a 75 or a 120 gallon - same bulb-- this bulb needs to changed out in 1 year I recommend a month prior to- please mark your calendar
Will do thank you, lights off and she tried to lay in her water bowl I’ve been trying to move her as little as possible til she’s comfortable with the home first and everything, I did have to get it to move out of the bow and ran on the old basking rock I had in the older tank but now it’s on cool side bc the other rock is higher up so light won’t have to be halfway inside the tank lol..lights off were a little later today just cuz I fed her later so I wanted to wait an hour but lights out was only 30 late and she’s still up is that why bc the lights went out at a different time she’s used to, I have a timer thag does it all for me but tonight since I had to feed a little later I added 30 to off time for tonight

newowner22

Original Poster
Would this do any help to keep humidity lower in the tank at all because on the cool side it shows like 55 but I can’t tell if it’s too high to get the humidity of just the tank i think it’s a little higher cuz the room, it’s been ab an hour almost since lights out now it’s still awake I just checked over there and it looked like she just got done surfing is she just not used to the new tank, if it gets to like 75 f should I turn on heat emitter like in the middle of the tank because my humidity also went up to 55 as a steady number

Attachments

• B43CA692-EB69-4C05-9233-8CDD2CA62EE3.jpg
    B43CA692-EB69-4C05-9233-8CDD2CA62EE3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Will do thank you, lights off and she tried to lay in her water bowl I’ve been trying to move her as little as possible til she’s comfortable with the home first and everything, I did have to get it to move out of the bow and ran on the old basking rock I had in the older tank but now it’s on cool side bc the other rock is higher up so light won’t have to be halfway inside the tank lol..lights off were a little later today just cuz I fed her later so I wanted to wait an hour but lights out was only 30 late and she’s still up is that why bc the lights went out at a different time she’s used to, I have a timer thag does it all for me but tonight since I had to feed a little later I added 30 to off time for tonight
Ok feed her 3 hrs before lights out she needs time to bask - please take the water bowl out- dragons usually don't drink from them - they get most of their moisture from their salads- rinse her greens before serving- you can also drop water on her nose or feed her out of a eye dropper- 75 is good you don't want any warmer check temps in morning

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Would this do any help to keep humidity lower in the tank at all because on the cool side it shows like 55 but I can’t tell if it’s too high to get the humidity of just the tank i think it’s a little higher cuz the room, it’s been ab an hour almost since lights out now it’s still awake I just checked over there and it looked like she just got done surfing is she just not used to the new tank, if it gets to like 75 f should I turn on heat emitter like in the middle of the tank because my humidity also went up to 55 as a steady number
Your humidity is fine- optimal 40-50 %-- it will go up at night nothing below 20% or over 75%

newowner22

Original Poster
Your humidity is fine- optimal 40-50 %-- it will go up at night nothing below 20% or over 75%
Yeah i remember you said 40-50 but wasn’t sure if you meant throughout the whole day. Thanks will check up tmr with temps you wanted to see I’ll try to get up before lights on to show you what it is a few minutes before

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah i remember you said 40-50 but wasn’t sure if you meant throughout the whole day. Thanks will check up tmr with temps you wanted to see I’ll try to get up before lights on to show you what it is a few minutes before
No tomorrow is good - the 40-50% is day-

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Please do not listen to the pet store people --- most do not know what they
Yes what you described is a coil --- not good --- use the heat emitter and the 60 watt bulb -- do you have a stick on for temps? if you do place the stick on on the side of the basking hot side see what the ambient temp is reading -- please tell me --

Yes keep the basking lamp over the rock shes basking on-- how did you get those temps? Thats why I said you need the solid bright white basking bulb and I am glad shes eating --- when you get all this corrected and she starts adjusting to her surroundings and acclimates to her tank she will eat a whole lot more ---she should be eating 20-25 crickets per feeding and should be fed 2-3 times per day please start feeding her salads every morning after she wakes up like an hr or so then feed him /her -- you want her started on salads even she only eats a little bit -- her main diet is protein like crickets dubia roaches silk worms and BSFL -I recommend you get some of these now --- can you post a pic of her so I can see how big she is --
Kale is a good staple feeder --
Ok so the UVB is what is going to help her absorb her calcium - it prevents all kinds of health issues one being MBD -- please look that up -- the UVB you have coming the 5.0 is good for 6 months I recommend changing it out in 5-- the 10.0 T 5 is good for a year please change it out a month prior to install --
lets talk calcium supplements --- please dust the crickets/ insects ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 5 x per week vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding 2 x per week -- if you have anymore questions please ask
Totally agree, kale is great, calcium powder is very helpful, make sure the food is small enough and don't depend on the pet stores for support or any REAL information. I love this site because everyone here has had dragons and cares and wants to help. I'm a 12 year owner, happy to answer an questions, had my last 2 since they were babies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom