New Enclosure Help (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiTimothy

I recently built a new enclosure
48" L x24" W x18" H
image_4-1.jpeg

It's almost winter here in Boston, MA and we get extremely cold winters and I am unsure of the wattage of the basking light I should be using to maintain adequate temperatures during the day and at night using a CHE.
What wattage should I use to keep his enclosure above 55* at night?

He is 5-8 inches away from his 100 watt basking bulb when he is on the top platform
image_11.jpeg

Also, I would like to know if a 10.0 UVB is too much considering the distance from it to him?
He's about 10-12 inches away from the UVB when he is in his basking area
image_10.jpeg

getgab92

Juvie Member
He should be able to get at least 6-8 inches from his UVB to be able to absorb it properly. I love your set up! It looks beautiful!

hiTimothy

Original Poster
getgab92":389gjeky said:
He should be able to get at least 6-8 inches from his UVB to be able to absorb it properly. I love your set up! It looks beautiful!
If he walks away from his basking area towards the back, then he's super close to it! I hope that is okay
And thank you! It took me longer than expected LOL

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That is a very beautiful enclosure, great job ! The distance of the Reptisun bulb is just right, 6" is actually the closest you can have it, so 8-12 is fine.

hiTimothy

Original Poster
AHBD":3jzm80ku said:
That is a very beautiful enclosure, great job ! The distance of the Reptisun bulb is just right, 6" is actually the closest you can have it, so 8-12 is fine.
How about my question about lighting and CHE?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You will really have to experiment. I think a 100 watt CHE, and you might not want to let the temp. get down to 55, that's pretty cold. I know they CAN tolerate lower, but 60 - 65 is the lowest I like to have in the winter. My beardies brumate at about 62 in the winter and they sleep hard. The one time I let it get below 60 [ about 15 or so years ago ] one of them came out of brumation with a respiratory infection. They were asleep for about 5 months, too so I never let them sleep longer than 4 now. I think 3 months is plenty, then I start raising the temps.+ keeping lights on to wake them up. Although it was only one out of about 5 dragons that got sick, I still think that cold affected her. [ She did recover ] As for daytime bulbs, you might have a 100 watt on the basking side and a 40 - 50 watt on the cooler end. If the temps. are too high, just stick with the one bulb.

hiTimothy

Original Poster
AHBD":1dwqalxk said:
You will really have to experiment. I think a 100 watt CHE, and you might not want to let the temp. get down to 55, that's pretty cold. I know they CAN tolerate lower, but 60 - 65 is the lowest I like to have in the winter. My beardies brumate at about 62 in the winter and they sleep hard. The one time I let it get below 60 [ about 15 or so years ago ] one of them came out of brumation with a respiratory infection. They were asleep for about 5 months, too so I never let them sleep longer than 4 now. I think 3 months is plenty, then I start raising the temps.+ keeping lights on to wake them up. Although it was only one out of about 5 dragons that got sick, I still think that cold affected her. [ She did recover ] As for daytime bulbs, you might have a 100 watt on the basking side and a 40 - 50 watt on the cooler end. If the temps. are too high, just stick with the one bulb.
Yeah I said I wanted the night temps to be above 55* I don't want him to freeze haha. And I don't want mine to brumate because Im not experienced and I can't handle not being able to hang out with him everyday lol
But okay I will try out your advice and I hope it will work out :)
Thank you so much for your story and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom